Old  May 22nd, 2012, 9:01am     #1
collenga
Junior Sweeper

Question 1 Entry per household?
When entering an online sweeps and the rules specify Limit one (1) entry per household per day per sweepstakes, does this refer to the IP address or the physical address. Meaning if two people who live at separate households are entering the same sweeps on the same computer but using their own address, will it disqualify the entry if the same IP address is used? Thanks everyone
  Old  May 22nd, 2012, 9:03am     #2
ResourcePress
Grand Master Sweeper

Physical address always and sometimes the IP address

Wishing & hoping & thinking & praying, planning & dreaming... and entering!
  Old  May 22nd, 2012, 9:12am     #3
dovie
Senior Master Sweeper

I would not risk entering more than one per IP, it's too easy for them to assume you are cheating and you would (probably) never know.

MY LOONYVERSE
TIPS ON WINNING
  Old  May 22nd, 2012, 10:21am     #4
ContestScott33
Master Sweeper

with the IP - even rafflecopter captures the IP.. and hosting a contest on my blog, I ahve seen a cheater before - and I have held only 2 contests!

MY WINS!!! last win (7/16/2014)

My Blog - Deals, Coupons, Contests and more geared toward Guys! - Updated!
  Old  May 22nd, 2012, 10:38am     #5
brightstarr
Master Sweeper

I never enter anyone else on my computer, no exceptions. Sweepstaking has its rules.
  Old  May 22nd, 2012, 11:56am     #6
jboyan
Sweeper

How about a shared computer such as a library or office, where multiple people might enter? Would they all be disqualified as duplicate entries? To assume that the same IP address is indicative of the same household or of someone cheating seems a bit of a stretch.
  Old  May 22nd, 2012, 12:08pm     #7
ppammela
Gone Camping

You would need to look at the rules, but it could be hit and miss. Some rules state clearly 1 per household/IP. Others just simply state one per household.
  Old  May 22nd, 2012, 12:49pm     #8
brightstarr
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboyan View Post
How about a shared computer such as a library or office, where multiple people might enter? Would they all be disqualified as duplicate entries? To assume that the same IP address is indicative of the same household or of someone cheating seems a bit of a stretch.

It is a bit of a stretch I would not take a chance on. The sweeps have to have some way of tracking cheaters. More and more sweeps are useing the IP to track for duplicate entries. I would not use a shared computer. My dh got his own used computer and only enters what I don,t enter. We just play it safe. Dh does not enter much anyway.
  Old  May 22nd, 2012, 1:04pm     #9
RockysJewel
Grand Master Sweeper

One time per household doesn't mean per family. It means the house you live in. so my sister can enter, my son can enter but my husband can't because he lives in same house as me.

I am not Rocky . I am ~JEWEL~
  Old  May 22nd, 2012, 1:11pm     #10
pandka
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dovie View Post
I would not risk entering more than one per IP, it's too easy for them to assume you are cheating and you would (probably) never know.
Agreed. I would never take the risk, myself. Some sponsors and judging agencies are very strict about disqualifying people. It's very easy for them to see more than one entry coming from one IP.

Old  May 22nd, 2012, 1:12pm     #11
arouet
Grand Master Sweeper

This is an old article that covers the subject.

Quote:
It's especially tricky for instant-win games, where winners find out right away whether they've won. Fulfillment expert Terry Cunningham was once the first to notice how many duplicate winners there were in his clients' instant-win game — but only after winners had been notified, and prizes were expected. “Had the fulfillment process been automated [as entry and prize notification were], the discrepancy would likely not have been noticed until it was too late to correct the problem,” says Cunningham, president of Cottonwood Enterprises, Bozeman, MT. “Nothing beats the human eye working its way through that list.”

Automated promotions usually use e-mail addresses to weed out duplicate entries. But a promotion administrator who checks the entry log daily can see huge spikes in “unjustified entries” that aren't related to a surge in media support for the sweeps, Carmody says. Then the agency can block any entries from that domain.

An administrator for Farmington Hills, MI-based ePrize once saw an instant-win game get 26 entries from the same household address in five minutes. It was one consumer, entering under all his neighbors' names — but at his own address. “It took a person reading the actual address to see what was really happening,” Lippitt says.

Marden-Kane looks at the IP address that identifies the computer that sent an entry. (That data is invisible to consumers, but accompanies the data that entrants submit.) If administrators see a rash of entries from a single IP address, Marden-Kane can block all entries from that IP address or scrub out the multiple entries at the back end.

Garden City, NY-based Marden-Kane scrubs each list of sweeps entrants electronically to catch duplicate entries before winners are randomly drawn. That list of preliminary winners is manually checked, then sent to clients for approval. “They can't change it; they can only approve it,” Caputo says. Winners are notified after the list has been scrutinized and approved.

ePrize also makes what Lippitt calls “the human sanity check” before choosing winners, especially if high-value prizes are at stake. “We'll have a human go through the database to make sure the parameters of entry have been met, and make sure we pick good winners.” Security is more stringent for bigger prizes. “I don't want to give away a car to someone who entered 300 times when they were only supposed to enter once,” Lippitt says. Instant-win games with low-value prizes get less scrutiny: “There's only so much human resource you can spend on it and have it make sense.
http://chiefmarketer.com/interactive...transgressions
  Old  May 22nd, 2012, 2:05pm     #12
LindaK
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by collenga View Post
When entering an online sweeps and the rules specify Limit one (1) entry per household per day per sweepstakes, does this refer to the IP address or the physical address. Meaning if two people who live at separate households are entering the same sweeps on the same computer but using their own address, will it disqualify the entry if the same IP address is used? Thanks everyone
Most likely not--but you won't know for sure. What this looks like to the Fulfillment Co is that someone is entering other people "outside" their household or "inside" their household using work or another address. While I believe this is done often, or considered "legitimate" by those who do it-mom entering all her adult kids, their spouses, etc, etc, etc. I'd be cautious doing so. Some rules do specify that the entrant is required to be reading the rules and doing the entering.

If it's one entry per IP address then only one entry should be made on that computer, period. What it doesn't mean is to clear cookies and enter again for someone else as some do and are probably dq-ing themselves and everyone they enter. And just because an entrant got one more in doesn't make it legit, if it's drawn and the Fulfillment Co runs a check to see how many entries came from that address, IP, computer, etc. it could be dq’d.

Restiamo Umani
"Even if you're not doing anything wrong, you are being watched and recorded." Snowden
“You measure democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists.” – Abby Hoffman
  Old  May 22nd, 2012, 3:25pm     #13
collenga
Junior Sweeper

Question Thanks everyone!
What if you and the other person who lives at a different address is using the same internet connection at the same address but a different computer altogether? I hear that both computers share the same IP address but would it show up as different computers submitting the entries or will that not matter either?
  Old  May 22nd, 2012, 4:16pm     #14
TawnyNY
Senior Master Sweeper

Well I have Road Runner broadband and it's my understanding I have a dynamic IP address that doesn't stay the same. Not sure how often it changes but don't think sponsors can judge always by the same ip address.

But one entry per household, means only one person at that physical address can enter. So if you have sweeping roommates, oh well.

And let me just throw in this little truth, the really big winners you see posting winning big and often are entering for other people as well and don't seem to be getting disqualified judging by their huge prize haul. I won't out one specific couple who does that but they freely admit it. If you're not familiar with them, you would faint at what they've won. It's quite the open secret and they are not alone. Funny, they never seem to get disqualified.

That is why I kind of take the "entering for others will get you blacklisted" with a grain of salt.
  Old  May 22nd, 2012, 4:19pm     #15
ContestScott33
Master Sweeper

same IP can be applied for entering at the Office or a college campus!

So does that mean if you are at college only one person can enter in a dorm as that is a "household" and same IP? Rules are Rules in sweepstaking right?

Entering from a mobile phone can have similar affects.

Not that it happens in 2012 as often as it did.. what about days of dialup? when you got an IP when you connected and then disconnect, someone else gets on and gets handed the same IP?

The only thing truly unique in an internet connection is the mac address of the computer.

MY WINS!!! last win (7/16/2014)

My Blog - Deals, Coupons, Contests and more geared toward Guys! - Updated!