Old  March 8th, 2012, 2:03pm     #1
hellamanic
Senior Sweeper

Car Dealership Wins?
Okay, So i got this big giant envelope in the mail yesterday and I opened it this morning and it was a huge advertisement for a local Car Dealer. it had a scratch off and said "if you get the matching number you're a mega winner of up to 2 of the prizes that were listed inlcuding money, ipad, or a car and they have two lower items listed like a scratch ticket and coin. I assume everyone gets that number that "wins" and then they give me a scratch ticket for my time or something? IDK

So I scratched it and my number matched, but does that happen to everyone they mal these to? I've never goten one? It also came with a key attached to it, which I assume is so I can try and win a car?

Either way, it's about 20 minutes from my house and Im considering going down. I read the official rules and I can't see anything that says I didn't win or requires anything. Originallly I thought it was going to require a test drive or something of the sorts, but it just says that its being held by Grand Prize Promotions. I have read the official rules probably at least 5 times now and so far it seems legit....

but I figured sweepers would warn me if its not.

I can deal with sales men trying to sell me cars (not interested unless I win it) and stuff like that, but i dont want to drive down there and find out that everyone gets a winning scratch off and that really i won nothing at all.

My wins: http://forums.online-sweepstakes.com...d.php?t=744492

"The dream come true of a dream I never even knew i had" - Shay Carl
  Old  March 8th, 2012, 2:07pm     #2
Karen_246
Grand Master Sweeper
Senior Moderator/Editor
PITA

My pops and I get them all the time, we compare them and the numbers are always the same. So I'm sure thousands get the same numbers, and "everybody" wins.

It is pretty much just to get you into the dealership so that the sales peeps can try to talk you into purchasing a vehicle from them.

"Once we choose HOPE, EVERYTHING is POSSIBLE" ~ Christopher Reeve
Come check out my blog, please follow if you would like. Looking to get the word out about your company, etsy shop, etc, please give me a shout as I am actively seeking sponsors for reviews and giveaways.
  Old  March 8th, 2012, 2:08pm     #3
Stephen
Senior Master Sweeper

Yeah, they match for everyone. We get these pretty often down here.

Pretty much, what happens is everyone who goes in wins a "prize". Generally, it'll give you odds in the tiny official rules at the bottom that look something like this:

$5 Walmart Card odds: 59999:1 or 59999:60000.
Flat Screen TV Odds: 1:50000
$100 cash odds: 1:10000

The $5 walmart GC you'll "win" is worth it to them to have you come in and look at their cars. Yeah, they'll try to do the whole sales pitch thing to no end.
  Old  March 8th, 2012, 2:08pm     #4
wslm79
Sweeper

I could be wrong, but it's probably just a marketing tool.

I've gotten several that sound like what you're describing and I've always "won" when I scratched.

That being said...I've never gone to the dealership to see what the catch is....

My Sweeps Wins
  Old  March 8th, 2012, 2:12pm     #5
hellamanic
Senior Sweeper

Cool. Thanks for the quick replies everyone.

I kind of figured everyone "wins" was sort of what they were going for especially since the advertisement was so over the top.

Now I just wonder if it's worth it to go try the key and see if I did win anything. I realize the odds are probably not in my favor, but it's not that out of the way and might be worth it.

I also wonder how they decide who wins a scratch ticket lotto vs. an ipad. Is it like "spin the wheel" or what. I might do it even though I know they are going to try and sell me. I'm not buying so it really doesn't matter how hard they try to sell me, unless they are paying for it...I can't afford it anyways.

Old  March 8th, 2012, 2:13pm     #6
IrishRose23
Senior Master Sweeper

We get those several times a year. It's pretty much a marketing ploy to get you down there so they can sell you a car.

My father went down there to see what would happen one time, and about 5 other people showed up. He was there for a few hours for nothing, basically. He didn't come home with anything except brochures and a caffeine rush.
  Old  March 8th, 2012, 2:14pm     #7
hellamanic
Senior Sweeper

Also the odds are:

Car: 1:10,000
Scratch Lotto Ticket: 9,998:10,000 (the two people that don't listen to the sales pitch like me lose? lol)
Presidential Commemorative Coin: 9,998:10,000
iPad 1:10,000
$250 cash: 1:10,000

Old  March 8th, 2012, 2:16pm     #8
hellamanic
Senior Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishRose23 View Post
We get those several times a year. It's pretty much a marketing ploy to get you down there so they can sell you a car.

My father went down there to see what would happen one time, and about 5 other people showed up. He was there for a few hours for nothing, basically. He didn't come home with anything except brochures and a caffeine rush.
Darn. Im so dissapointed. This key is pretty tempting and the thought that i could win....obviously, but yea.... I dont want to be down there for hours and IDK if I have to listen to some sales guy in order to even qualify or what. I just wanted to go down there hand them my flyer and try my key and then leave.

Old  March 8th, 2012, 2:18pm     #9
hellamanic
Senior Sweeper

Also it says you are guaranteed to win 2 prizes....... I mean..... Idk if its worth a shot. I was hoping some people maybe have gone and did win something. hahah.

Old  March 8th, 2012, 3:12pm     #10
SweepingBeauty
Grand Master Sweeper

I don't go to those much, more scammy than the usual promotions. Sometimes they bring in extra sales staff that play hardball. not my style

“Daughter, your faith has made you well; go in peace, and be healed of your disease.”-Mark 5:34
  Old  March 8th, 2012, 3:30pm     #11
anniemouse
Senior Sweeper

I would read the fine print & see if it says specifically that you have to listen to a pitch or test drive a car. If it doesn't, then I would go with the rules in hand & say I want my prizes. If they put me off or dragged me around or made me wait or other BS then I would wave the rules in front of their face & make a huge stink & threaten to call in the attorney general. I hate these things & I am soo ready to nail some of these shysters to the wall. That's just me, though, & any of my real life friends will tell you that I can be a bitch on wheels.
  Old  March 8th, 2012, 4:24pm     #12
Ashton7
Master Sweeper

I've only gone for these twice -- same dealership. The lowest prize you could win was 10 dollar coins ($10) and I got that both times. On one of the trips, I actually *did* buy a car (was going for that anyway -- LOL!). But they did cough up the $10 each time. The 2nd time we went in there awhile later and when they started to give me the sales spiel I told them I'd already bought a car on our last trip and they simply handed me the $10. ;-)

A friend of mine took her brochure in one time ... and she won the car. No kidding! So it does happen!

Annie

My Blog
Startoons Parodies (Stargate Cartoons by my SO)
  Old  March 8th, 2012, 9:34pm     #13
hellamanic
Senior Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniemouse View Post
I would read the fine print & see if it says specifically that you have to listen to a pitch or test drive a car. If it doesn't, then I would go with the rules in hand & say I want my prizes. If they put me off or dragged me around or made me wait or other BS then I would wave the rules in front of their face & make a huge stink & threaten to call in the attorney general. I hate these things & I am soo ready to nail some of these shysters to the wall. That's just me, though, & any of my real life friends will tell you that I can be a bitch on wheels.
Yeah. I dont want it to be like hours and hours of waiting. If I decide to go tomorrow and they try to snake me into a long drawn out thing I'll just ask for my prize.

The fine print does not say that I have to do anything but show up. I read it to specifically look for those words, especially because I didn't want to test drive any cars or anything, but the only requirement is that you come in and show the paper and bring your key they mailed. The rest is done by the promotions company I listed above, which so far no one has said anything about, so I might do some googling and see if I can make sure the company is legit.

Some of the prizes i guess take 30 days to award, which I assume would be if I walked in and won an ipad 2 or a car, but the part that is not clear is if they decide who wins. I mean like if I listen to them tell me all their BS and pretend to be interested are my odds of winning an iPad better or do I just spin a wheel. It just says show up, everyone wins at least 2 prizes. Tomorrow is the first day of it. I might go just to see if I can win anything...... but we'll see how motivated I am. I mean in the back of my head I just think "WHAT IF I DID WIN A CAR....LIKE IF THE KEY WORKS??" haha.

Old  March 9th, 2012, 12:10pm     #14
hellamanic
Senior Sweeper

I think my fiancé and I will try our luck today. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old  March 9th, 2012, 12:29pm     #15
birdpix
Senior Master Sweeper

Most dealerships doing those type of promotions hire a big third party auto marketing company to handle the promotion. That company does all the design, mailing, and usually has a couple people (typically attractive "model" type girls) who work the table in the dealership that you go to for showing your mailer and determining your prize.

As stated in the mailer, you are assured of winning a prize or two, so expect that you are going to get the cheapest prize(s). Lottery tickets, coins, gift cards are all great. "Vacation certificates" or "online shopping spree certificates" are not, those are worthless scammy prizes that'll cost you money.

The main goal of the promotions is to get you into dealership and to qualify you as a prospective customer to the sales staff. The salespeople at dealerships are hungrier than ever, so expect they will be all over you the minute you get out of your car. Just politely tell them that you are looking for the promotion table and are there just for the contest and are not in the market for a car now. MOST of them will realize they are wasting their time to push further and will direct you to the table inside the dealer.

At the table, again just politely tell them you are here for the game only and not in the market for a car. They may record your info and ask some marketing related questions like year of your car, etc. If you wish to give a false phone number, that will assure you get no calls later from hungry salesman following up even dead leads.

MOST often the gals at the promotion table will just take your mailer, congratulate you for winning, and give you the lowest prize. It seems that the earlier you get to the promotion, the better chance you have of getting the better lower end prizes.

People do win at these things sometimes. My parents knew two car winners from such promos. I've gotten a lot gift cards and umbrellas from my wins at dealerships.

Good Luck!

Eric in Florida
"Believe It & It WILL Come True" - Jimmy Buffett