Old  December 6th, 2011, 3:32pm     #1
VoirLeSoleil
Senior Sweeper

Suspended for too many twitter entries!
I've been entering so many blog giveaways, that I've been put in twitter timeout every day, and last night my twitter account was suspended temporarily. I had to promise to stop "spamming", or they will suspend my account permanently.

Most of my tweets are daily blog entries. They said the main problem is that I'm using the @ symbol too much. I'm just tweeting whatever the blogger wrote up as the daily entry tweet.

Has this happened to anyone else? How can I get around it? I'd hate to have to reduce the number of giveaways I enter. I was on a roll--14 wins in five days!
  Old  December 6th, 2011, 3:39pm     #2
SillyLilly
Senior Master Sweeper

How do you know that's why you were suspended?

I was suspended over the weekend and still haven't gotten my account back. I'm getting ticked because I don't even have a clue why I was suspended. They could at least send an email explaining.
  Old  December 6th, 2011, 3:49pm     #3
jennem
Grand Master Sweeper

I keep getting stopped because i hit 2000.

What I don't get is how you can be a spammer by FOLLOWING someone. Don't they have to follow YOU to get your spam or whatever? People I'm following don't get my tweets, and I can't send them messages, unless they follow me back. So it doesn't make any sense to me.
  Old  December 6th, 2011, 3:50pm     #4
VoirLeSoleil
Senior Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyLilly View Post
How do you know that's why you were suspended?

I was suspended over the weekend and still haven't gotten my account back. I'm getting ticked because I don't even have a clue why I was suspended. They could at least send an email explaining.
When I tried to send a tweet, a pink error message showed up at the top of the twitter screen. I clicked on it, and read a blurb about spamming. They had me check the boxes that I will not continue to abuse the rules, and enter a captcha, and then they opened my account back up.

The warning said that next time, the suspension would be permanent. Maybe you got the permanent suspension?
  Old  December 6th, 2011, 3:51pm     #5
VoirLeSoleil
Senior Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennem View Post
I keep getting stopped because i hit 2000.

What I don't get is how you can be a spammer by FOLLOWING someone. Don't they have to follow YOU to get your spam or whatever? People I'm following don't get my tweets, and I can't send them messages, unless they follow me back. So it doesn't make any sense to me.
They said that the problem is using the @ too much. The blurb said that lots of twitter users search for the @theirusername to see what people are saying about them. They said if you overuse it, it's annoying for those users.
  Old  December 6th, 2011, 3:53pm     #6
VoirLeSoleil
Senior Sweeper

And if you look at the twitter rules (in Help), as I did for the first time last night, you'll see all kinds of quirky rules that trigger a suspension if you don't abide by them. For example, did you know that if you follow lots of people, but hardly anyone is following you, that it's grounds for possible suspension? WTF?
  Old  December 6th, 2011, 4:03pm     #7
sgibbs58
Senior Master Sweeper

So how many tweets are allowed in a specific time period? Anyone know??
  Old  December 6th, 2011, 4:04pm     #8
SillyLilly
Senior Master Sweeper

I clicked on the pink banner and it just told me how to appeal, by sending them an email, and I did.

I read those rules and didn't understand half of them. They do sound ridiculous to me.

I only joined a few days ago and am following probably 15 people and have retweeted one message. That's it. I don't think there's any reason for suspending me, and no reason at all for locking me out for 3 days and counting. I can't even open another account to enter the blogs, because that's against the rules!
  Old  December 6th, 2011, 4:07pm     #9
VoirLeSoleil
Senior Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgibbs58 View Post
So how many tweets are allowed in a specific time period? Anyone know??
I read that the limit is 1000 tweets per day, but they also have an hourly tweet limit. They apparently don't specify what that limit is. I've been reaching the mystery hourly limit every day, so I have to sit out for an hour.

I also read that they place unspecified limits at various times during the day if their servers are bogged down.
  Old  December 6th, 2011, 4:10pm     #10
VoirLeSoleil
Senior Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyLilly View Post
I clicked on the pink banner and it just told me how to appeal, by sending them an email, and I did.

I read those rules and didn't understand half of them. They do sound ridiculous to me.

I only joined a few days ago and am following probably 15 people and have retweeted one message. That's it. I don't think there's any reason for suspending me, and no reason at all for locking me out for 3 days and counting. I can't even open another account to enter the blogs, because that's against the rules!
If you're in the middle of a giveaway that you dearly want to win, maybe you can send an email to the blog owner explaining that you have to use a different twitter account because you can't get your current twitter account to work.

Does anyone know if you can have multiple twitter accounts using one IP address?
  Old  December 6th, 2011, 4:35pm     #11
imaclutz89
Master Sweeper

I know you have to have people follow you to increase how many people you can follow. Also, if the blog does not require you to @ them in your entry, don't. You never know if a blogger was the one who reported you. I am not sure how many tweets you're doing, but if you're not hitting a tweet limit, put personal tweets in between some of your entries. This shows you are not a spambot.

I used to enter blogs every day, but have never had my account suspended...
  Old  December 6th, 2011, 5:50pm     #12
SillyLilly
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaclutz89 View Post
I know you have to have people follow you to increase how many people you can follow. Also, if the blog does not require you to @ them in your entry, don't. You never know if a blogger was the one who reported you. I am not sure how many tweets you're doing, but if you're not hitting a tweet limit, put personal tweets in between some of your entries. This shows you are not a spambot.

I used to enter blogs every day, but have never had my account suspended...

Why would a blogger report me for entering their contest using a method they allow?
  Old  December 6th, 2011, 6:10pm     #13
VoirLeSoleil
Senior Sweeper

To answer my own question...can we have multiple twitter accounts. Per Twitter rules:

"You may not create serial accounts for disruptive or abusive purposes, or with overlapping use cases. Mass account creation may result in suspension of all related accounts. Please note that any violation of the Twitter Rules is cause for permanent suspension of all accounts."

I wonder how they know which counts are related. By IP address?

They also state that if the majority of your tweets contain links, that is considered spamming and is therefore against the rules. Well I only use twitter to enter contests, so all my tweets contain links. I would have to create thousands of fake non-link tweets to get around this one.

I guess I'm going to have to create more twitter accounts and divide up my blogs, assigning each to a certain account.
  Old  December 6th, 2011, 7:38pm     #14
antennaball
Master Sweeper

I tweet A LOT - mostly with links, never had any issues - got twice locked up in twitter jail in 1 1/2 year for going over the hourly limit which is around 100 tweets

I have only one account and don't use any app to unload mass daily tweets

"tenna follows back https://twitter.com/#!/left_the_stars
America - What Time Is Love?!
Got Klout? Me too! http://klout.com/#/left_the_stars I give back within 24 hours
  Old  December 6th, 2011, 9:25pm     #15
flared0ne
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoirLeSoleil View Post
For example, did you know that if you follow lots of people, but hardly anyone is following you, that it's grounds for possible suspension? WTF?
Should ask around about how to force people to follow you in return.

_________________________________________________________________________________________
I'm trying to decide between "Studies reveal that three out of four people make up 75% of the population"
versus "In other news, victimless crime is on the rise, according to recent surveys of non-victims."