Old  September 7th, 2011, 4:52pm     #1
Carolg
Master Sweeper

Voting Contest Vent - Cheaters!!!
I have been trying so hard to get votes for our school in a contest. We were doing really well until a few days ago and then really slowed down moving up in the ranks. I decided to do a search on some of the other schools to see what they were doing to get votes.

I found the Facebook page of a parent organization for a school who is ahead of us and moving up. They were comments on there about using other people's emails to vote. One woman said that if she voted for people instead of them doing it themselves. it would be easier and guarantee that the votes get made. She said she was voting for 13 people a day! Others commented and talked about that being a good idea. Another mentioned creating email accounts for her dogs to vote!

What kind of parents are these that post about cheating? Not setting a very good example for their children, are they? They are really stupid to put these comments on their Facebook page.

Oh, well. Just had to vent. Only sweepers understand. Thanks for listening.

Carol
  Old  September 7th, 2011, 7:36pm     #2
zelda
Grand Master Sweeper

if the people are going to vote anyway, and give her permission to vote using their e-mails , to make it faster(kind of like a proxy) I really don't find anything wrong with that.

Yes it was wrong of someone saying to sign up for e-mails, for their dogs....

I only would find the entering other people's e-mails to vote wrong (no matter how many she did) IF she didn't have the owner of the e-mails permission. If she was doing it with their o.k. I don't see how it would be considered cheating. (especially if they were going to vote anyway)

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/8...nniesigbw1.jpg
  Old  September 7th, 2011, 7:47pm     #3
Ashook
Senior Master Sweeper

so...post the link so my cat can vote!

Old  September 8th, 2011, 7:35am     #4
Tonysopranogirl
Grand Master Sweeper

that really really sucks.........I would be beside myself too. I am also involved in a voting contest for my kids school and if I saw this I would report it. Take action it will make you feel better!
  Old  September 8th, 2011, 7:53am     #5
Carolg
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonysopranogirl View Post
that really really sucks.........I would be beside myself too. I am also involved in a voting contest for my kids school and if I saw this I would report it. Take action it will make you feel better!

I sent the link to the Facebook page to the sponsor. We'll see what they do.
  Old  September 8th, 2011, 8:07am     #6
Tonysopranogirl
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolg View Post
I sent the link to the Facebook page to the sponsor. We'll see what they do.
Good for you!! I hope the sponsor does something and I hope your school wins!
  Old  September 9th, 2011, 12:30am     #7
crackercrumb
Senior Master Sweeper

That sucks!

Let us know how it turns out!

MY BLOG: http://www.sirthriftalot.blogspot.com [updated: October 29th, 2012!]
  Old  September 10th, 2011, 11:51am     #8
Carolg
Master Sweeper

I contacted the sponsor last Wednesday and they have not responded. The other school continues to setup bogus emails and individuals are voting for dozens of people.

Our school isn't doing well at all. We've just about stopped climbing in the rankings. So, I guess I spent a lot of time for nothing. Oh, well.......
  Old  September 10th, 2011, 11:57am     #9
LadyCat
Grand Master Sweeper

am so sorry that is just not right did you take a screen shot of the page about the voting the other school is doing-in case the sponsor wants proof and the page diappears-picture is worth a thousand words as they say -just a thought

Every entry is a potential Winner -
  Old  September 10th, 2011, 12:04pm     #10
Carolg
Master Sweeper

Yes, I did take a screen shot and I sent them the link. But since I sent it, the school has added lots more.

I may never enter another voting contest!
  Old  September 10th, 2011, 12:10pm     #11
awssm
Grand Master Sweeper

I will help out other OLSers when I can but have enough to do with just entering my own sweeps and can't be bothered with using other peeps' emails.
  Old  September 10th, 2011, 12:41pm     #12
Carolg
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by awssm View Post
I will help out other OLSers when I can but have enough to do with just entering my own sweeps and can't be bothered with using other peeps' emails.
Me, too! I haven't even been entering my own sweeps since I have been begging others to vote for the school!

I do think contests to help schools are a wonderful idea, if conducted honestly. I compare the voting contests to the contests that the PTA had when I was a kid. Our local PTA was very good. They had an afternoon monthly meeting that was a big deal. To encourage attendance, they gave $20 to the class that had the most parents and supporters show up. They would call the class and people would stand to be counted. Parents could stand for all classes that they had children in. Others could only "stand up" for one class. There were several older women in town that babysat me. I always asked them to go and vote for my class. And, they did.
  Old  September 10th, 2011, 1:21pm     #13
ppammela
Gone Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolg View Post
Me, too! I haven't even been entering my own sweeps since I have been begging others to vote for the school!

I do think contests to help schools are a wonderful idea, if conducted honestly. I compare the voting contests to the contests that the PTA had when I was a kid. Our local PTA was very good. They had an afternoon monthly meeting that was a big deal. To encourage attendance, they gave $20 to the class that had the most parents and supporters show up. They would call the class and people would stand to be counted. Parents could stand for all classes that they had children in. Others could only "stand up" for one class. There were several older women in town that babysat me. I always asked them to go and vote for my class. And, they did.
So do I, but this thread is just another example of why voting contests should stop. Especially when it's a voting contest for such a good cause. They would of been better of just randomly selecting a winner or using a panel of judges. What a shame.
  Old  September 10th, 2011, 7:11pm     #14
noni1959
Senior Master Sweeper

I think the contest should stop too. I see people win that in no way should have. Recently someone I know has a video contest for singing and clearly someone else there is better so to pass the better one up, he has all his friends creating accounts to vote to pass the other one up.
  Old  September 11th, 2011, 7:34am     #15
Carolg
Master Sweeper

Here's some quotes from their Facebook page:

my old school from cali is ranked 33...we have to get passed them...i need to make more accounts

I'm already voting for 36!!

You can ask them to register and once they have confirmed their email address with Avery, you can then take over the voting using their email and password.

I currently have to do 13 every morning!!!

I made my dogs email accounts so that they can vote too!

I am up to 23 now! Everyone is letting me do it for them, but I am HAPPY to do it!!!