Old  July 13th, 2017, 8:04am     #1
QBookie
Master Sweeper

Question Validated for what
When there is a Camera Symbol on the sweep title, which means validated, what does that mean?

Honey, Ain't Nothin' Ever Gonna Be Like It Was Before.
  Old  July 13th, 2017, 8:09am     #2
Karen_246
Grand Master Sweeper
Senior Moderator/Editor
PITA

Just means that it is has been edited and put into its correct categories.

"Once we choose HOPE, EVERYTHING is POSSIBLE" ~ Christopher Reeve
Come check out my blog, please follow if you would like. Looking to get the word out about your company, etsy shop, etc, please give me a shout as I am actively seeking sponsors for reviews and giveaways.
  Old  July 13th, 2017, 8:17am     #3
QBookie
Master Sweeper

Thank you
What do you do to edit it?

Old  July 13th, 2017, 8:20am     #4
Karen_246
Grand Master Sweeper
Senior Moderator/Editor
PITA

Just check links, clean up the posting, check frequency, check to make sure it isn't spam crap, put it in the prize categories, etc.

"Once we choose HOPE, EVERYTHING is POSSIBLE" ~ Christopher Reeve
Come check out my blog, please follow if you would like. Looking to get the word out about your company, etsy shop, etc, please give me a shout as I am actively seeking sponsors for reviews and giveaways.
  Old  July 13th, 2017, 8:48am     #5
QBookie
Master Sweeper

Listing Crap
I have not been active for a few years and have only been on board again since May. I am really happy to see that this is a much more friendly environment today than when I left. Most posts are so genuine and sweet. That is opposed as to the many "woe is me" stuff that was on here before.
That aside, and I'm sure it has to do with the changing of the times, I am truly concerned about all the listings that are from DATA MINERS. There were 50 new listings on Monday. These folks do not have a product to advertise and are of offering an opportunity to win a menial prize in exchange for you date of birth and other information. I must admit that many of them have privacy policies that tell you exactly what they are doing. However, I see the end result as they glean a whole lot if information and that one member gets a cheap prize. I really don't see them as "sweepstakes."

Old  July 13th, 2017, 12:44pm     #6
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBookie View Post
I have not been active for a few years and have only been on board again since May. I am really happy to see that this is a much more friendly environment today than when I left. Most posts are so genuine and sweet. That is opposed as to the many "woe is me" stuff that was on here before.
That aside, and I'm sure it has to do with the changing of the times, I am truly concerned about all the listings that are from DATA MINERS. There were 50 new listings on Monday. These folks do not have a product to advertise and are of offering an opportunity to win a menial prize in exchange for you date of birth and other information. I must admit that many of them have privacy policies that tell you exactly what they are doing. However, I see the end result as they glean a whole lot if information and that one member gets a cheap prize. I really don't see them as "sweepstakes."
There are a variety of different "sweeps" coming in to be listed.. as there is a variety of them out in the world now.. so different than the older times.

As far as privacy... everyone has their own comfort zone. If you are not comfortable with a sweeps, don't enter it - though others may be fine with it - I think we all have certain sweeps we consider too intrusive for the prize offered.

Earn cash back while shopping with ebates - my referral https://www.ebates.com/r/BOMER92
  Old  July 13th, 2017, 3:18pm     #7
QBookie
Master Sweeper

Personal Responsibilty or Expectation of Safety
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomar97 View Post
There are a variety of different "sweeps" coming in to be listed.. as there is a variety of them out in the world now.. so different than the older times.

As far as privacy... everyone has their own comfort zone. If you are not comfortable with a sweeps, don't enter it - though others may be fine with it - I think we all have certain sweeps we consider too intrusive for the prize offered.
First, I want to say that I appreciate the fine work that Karen_246 and other mods do for us.
Yes, Bomar97, times have changed. My question is "do data miners belong here?" Do we have an expectation of safety if an offering is validated or are we on our own to read the rules and more importantly the privacy? If we are on our own, I'm OK with that. By the way, I have not noticed that any premium sweeps are data miners, but may have missed something.

Old  July 14th, 2017, 11:54am     #8
QBookie
Master Sweeper

Just in case anyone does not know what I am griping about.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS NOT VALIDATED!! This is just an example of the worst of the worst DATA MINERS
Rules & Privacy

Multi Level Marketing Data Miner
From the Rules
"One (1) Grand Prize is available. The Grand Prize consists of a 2018 Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport valued at $66,490.
THERE IS NO GUARANTEE THAT THE GRAND PRIZES WILL BE AWARDED. The odds of winning the Grand Prize are 1:2,400,000." Total Value of all instant win prizes is approx. $579.93.
From the Privacy Policy, your information may be shared with third parties

Old  July 14th, 2017, 12:39pm     #9
juicer
Sweeper

This isn't a new thing....

"Back in the day", when you (perhaps) and others here were mailing 3x5 index cards to PO Boxes, the info on those cards would sometimes be sold to companies that compiled mailing lists. The result was a random catalog that came in the mail or an unsolicited phone call.

Perhaps the potential consequences now are more severe, but this is pretty much a function of entering sweepstakes.
  Old  July 14th, 2017, 7:49pm     #10
gpadav
Senior Master Sweeper

Something no one has mentioned, is the rollback of internet protection by Trump and his new head of the FCC, that will allow tracking and data gathering even more. example: Facebook users, haven't you noticed
an increase of "Sponsored" ads in your timeline?
EVERYONE must read the rules; Just because an editor validates a sweep does not mean we do not have to read the rules. Most of the sweeps require you to affirm that you have read the rules, and in most cases when you do, it becomes a digital legal document when you fill in your name and email.

wins 2004 2005 2006
  Old  July 15th, 2017, 9:28am     #11
QBookie
Master Sweeper

It is also very important to read the Privacy Policy. Some folks are adamant that they don't want to receive newsletters. I don't want my information shared with unknown third parties. The nitty gritty question is "Should data miners, being those who offer a prize for the sole purpose of gleaning your information, be posted?"

Old  July 15th, 2017, 10:50am     #12
juicer
Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBookie View Post
It is also very important to read the Privacy Policy. Some folks are adamant that they don't want to receive newsletters. I don't want my information shared with unknown third parties. The nitty gritty question is "Should data miners, being those who offer a prize for the sole purpose of gleaning your information, be posted?"
My answer to your question is that if you feel strongly about this topic and want to give people a heads up, place a note in the listing of the sweeps that you are concerned about. Maybe the more blatantly offensive sweeps will get removed.

Otherwise, people can make their own decisions about what they enter and what they avoid.
  Old  July 15th, 2017, 12:20pm     #13
QBookie
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicer View Post
My answer to your question is that if you feel strongly about this topic and want to give people a heads up, place a note in the listing of the sweeps that you are concerned about. Maybe the more blatantly offensive sweeps will get removed.

Otherwise, people can make their own decisions about what they enter and what they avoid.
I have been adding notes on the Data Miners for some time now. However, I only added 10 or so notes on the 50 that were posted on Monday. I chose to add notes to those with the highest value or most interesting item. Surely, didn't want to waste any more time than I had to. I added a note on the most outrageous Data Miner that I have ever seen. It is still current - it is not premium - it is a vehicle. I think we, as sweepers, are reading the rules on that one. I am arrogant enough to think that some may have also read my note. 8 or 9 have rated it a one (1), as in worst

Old  July 15th, 2017, 1:24pm     #14
Urlik
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen_246 View Post
Just check links, clean up the posting, check frequency, check to make sure it isn't spam crap, put it in the prize categories, etc.
I certainly sympathize with how badly some have to be edited because the submitter doesn't attempt to make them formatted like all the sweeps.

My 2017 Wins
  Old  July 15th, 2017, 1:25pm     #15
Urlik
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpadav View Post
Something no one has mentioned, is the rollback of internet protection by Trump and his new head of the FCC, that will allow tracking and data gathering even more. example: Facebook users, haven't you noticed
an increase of "Sponsored" ads in your timeline?
EVERYONE must read the rules; Just because an editor validates a sweep does not mean we do not have to read the rules. Most of the sweeps require you to affirm that you have read the rules, and in most cases when you do, it becomes a digital legal document when you fill in your name and email.
Nope, I haven't noticed any changes. It's pretty much a nothing.

My 2017 Wins