Old  September 4th, 2008, 6:25pm     #1
KISSaholic4life
Grand Master Sweeper

Road Trip and Convention highlights
Here's a quick - well maybe not so quick - recap of the recent road trip that BakedAlaska and I took to this years sweeps convention in San Antonio, TX. My apologies for any names that I may miss or get wrong. We've been planning this road trip for the past year, figuring out routes, finding some cool roadside attractions to see and looking for some cool OLS'ers to let us crash in their house for a nite. We ended up visiting various attractions from the wild and wacky to the sobering and historical. We had an AWESOME time!

Disclaimer - No animals were harmed during the road trip, however we did see several dead racoons, skunks, a few deer and armadillos and lots of unidentifiable animals along the way.

Day 1 - Saturday, Aug 23rd - Grand Rapids, MN to Winterset, IA

On the iPod playlist for Minnesota - Judy Garland, Prince, Weird Al Yankovich, Soul Asylum, Bob Dylan, The Castaways and more.

On the iPod playlist for Iowa - Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, Big Bopper, Don Mclean, M*A*S*H audio clips, Heywood Banks and more.

Our trip begins in Grand Rapids, MN Baked and I start our adventure a little bit after 8am.

Our first destination of the day is to see a big lumberjack type of statue in Barnum, MN. I used to work at the place that the statue is located at - but that was many many years before the statue was put there and when it was a different restaurant.

Our next stop was to go to MrBike's house for lunch. MrBike is one of our OLS chat buddies. We've been to his house once before and we were excited to go see him and his GF Kim again. We had a yummy homemade lasagna and garlic bread for lunch.

After MrBike's we head to a T-38 display in Owatonna, MN It's a pretty cool display - but we had a bit of a hard time taking pic cuz the wind kept blowing over Janky, Plex and Ace! We drove by it at nite on the way home from the convention and it really looked cool all lit up at nite.

Last edited by KISSaholic4life; September 5th, 2008 at 7:57am.

~ Space For Rent ~
I can be found at Facebook - look for KISSaholic4life

Old  September 4th, 2008, 6:25pm     #2
KISSaholic4life
Grand Master Sweeper

We headed to Clear Lake, IA to check out the Buddy Holly/Ritchie Valens/Big Bopper crash site and the Surf Ballroom - the venue they last played in. There's a small metal memorial sculpture for them at the crash site. The memorial is in a working field - they were growing corn in one field and soybeans in the other field - the memorial is right between them. We had to walk thru the soybean field to get to it. It was kinda weird going thru the field - it kinda felt like we were kids sneaking around, lol. We stopped by the Surf Ballroom but couldn't get inside - they were closed. I thought it was kinda odd to be closed on a Saturday afternoon - the area was kinda busy with tourists.

We stopped in Des Moines, IA to have dinner with fellow OLS chatters Sparkle8 and Xan. Sparkle brought her daughter Emily and Xan brought her hubby Brian. We ate at a place called Tavern Pizza - they are well known for their grinders - they are great! It was Baked's birthday that day and Xan brought an ice cream cake for him - but we forgot about it til we were outside - luckilyour waitress reminded us while we were outside taking pics. The cake was yummmmmmy - we had it the next day for dessert after breakfast. We had a great time at Xan's that nite. We spent most of it outside on the patio chatting by the fire.

Last edited by KISSaholic4life; September 5th, 2008 at 8:13am.

~ Space For Rent ~

Old  September 4th, 2008, 6:26pm     #3
KISSaholic4life
Grand Master Sweeper

Day 2 - Sunday Aug 24th - Winterset, IA to Columbia, MO

On the iPod playlist for Missouri - Chuck Berry, Meet Me In St Louis soundtrack, Real Men Of Genious commercials, M*A*S*H audio clips

We checked out a few places in Winterset. Winterset is the birthplace of John Wayne. They've also got a few covered bridges and a really cool castle thingy. We went out to Xan's parents house to check out Grandpa's Workshop. Xan's dad is quite the character - and he's got a pretty cool workshop. He makes local souvineers and stuff - and he loves to tell stories of the stuff around his workshop.

After we said our goodbyes to Xan and Brian (I Merp Xan!) we headed to our next destination - Ottumwa, IA. Ottumwa is the home of Radar O'Reilly from M*A*S*H. Surprisingly they didn't have any type of plaque or anything for him. We also wanted to stop in Ottumwa to check out the Canteen Diner. It's the place that makes loose meat sammiches and was the inspiration for the Lunchbox storyline on the tv show Roseanne. They were closed the day we were there so we could only get pics from the outside and couldn't try a loose meat sammich.

Last edited by KISSaholic4life; September 5th, 2008 at 8:18am.

~ Space For Rent ~

Old  September 4th, 2008, 6:26pm     #4
KISSaholic4life
Grand Master Sweeper

After Ottumwa we headed to the American Gothic House in Eldon, IA. We got a little lost on the way - they recently closed the road to it and had an alternate route - but the Google directions we had still had the old way to get there. They had a little museum with the history of the house and the artist of the famous painting - Grant Wood.

Our next destination was Columbia, MO. Once we crossed the border of IA and MO we noticed lots of stores that sell fireworks - we also found a great place for a smoke break!

We arrived in Columbia and KB took us on a tour - it was a lot bigger than I thought it would be. We got to see the Beetle Bailey statue and Mizzu's tiger statue. KB treated us to some yummy dinner at Flat Branch Pub And Brewing. The Janky troll also got to reunite with Lucky at KB's. KB is AWESOME!

Last edited by KISSaholic4life; September 5th, 2008 at 8:21am.

~ Space For Rent ~

Old  September 4th, 2008, 6:27pm     #5
KISSaholic4life
Grand Master Sweeper

Day 3 - Monday Aug 25th - Columbia, MO to Oklahoma City, OK

On the iPod playlist for Oklahoma - Reba McEntyre, Garth Brooks, Hanson, Toby Keith, Patti Page, Elvin Bishop and more.

We got up pretty early - like we had been every day of the trip so far - because we had a lot of stops to make and we were going to attend a mini-gtg in OKC later that nite. We stopped at a dam in the Lake Of The Ozarks area. We also saw a wooden dinosaur statue along the way to our first listed stop in our road trip book - a giant fork. The fork is located in Springfield, MO and is hidden in an area of law offices.

Our next stop was for lunch at the world famous Clanton's Cafe on the historic route 66 in Vinita, OK. We'd known for months what we were gonna have for lunch - chicken fried steak and mashed taters. It was well worth the drive there - great food!

Our next stop took us to some giant totem poles in Foyil, OK. The largest totem pole there is made of concrete and stands about 90 feet tall.

Last edited by KISSaholic4life; September 5th, 2008 at 8:24am.

~ Space For Rent ~

Old  September 4th, 2008, 6:27pm     #6
KISSaholic4life
Grand Master Sweeper

We went to Claremore, OK next. Will Rogers and Patti Page are 2 famous people from there and they both have roads named after them in town. We didn't have time to check out the Will Rogers memorial, but we did get a few pics of a tank that sits in front of a gun museum and a few blocks away the Belvidere Mansion - it's rumored that the mansion is haunted.

Our next stop was in Catoosa, OK - we met up with CAmom and her 2 daughters at the Big Blue Whale. We got to chat with CAmom for awhile and took some pics. CAmom ROCKS!

Like most stops we made on our trip we couldn't stay too long - we had to be on the road to make our next stop. The next time this time was an OKC gtg at Toby Keith's I Love This Bar. We met up with Trina and her kids Andrianna & Dallas, ShellsOK and her daughter, OULori, Redcup and MargaritaMama and her 3 sons. Everybody had been watching the troll thread and was anxious to meet Janky and us too! We reminded them that in order to get a pic taken with Janky they had to wear the wig and/or the glasses - one of MargaritaMama's kids was the only person brave enough to wear it at first. But after he had them on and got a few pics taken everybody wanted to wear the wig and glasses! We spent a few hours at Toby's eating and chatting and taking lotsa pics - I think the other people were kinda glad to see us leave cuz of all the cameras flashing, lol.

We headed to Trina's house after the OKC gtg. We sat and chatted with Trina and Skip til way late at nite. Trina and her family ROCKS!

Last edited by KISSaholic4life; September 5th, 2008 at 8:27am.

~ Space For Rent ~

Old  September 4th, 2008, 6:28pm     #7
KISSaholic4life
Grand Master Sweeper

Day 4 - Tuesday Aug 26th - Oklahoma City, OK to Dallas, TX

On the iPod playlist for Texas - Janis Joplin, Tex Ritter, Pantera, Christopher Cross, Don Henley and more.

We got up early once again cuz we had lotsa places to go see. Our first stop of the morning was to go to Pop's. Pop's is a pretty cool gas station, convenience store and restaurant. They're famous for the 60 foot sculpture of a soda bottle and the 500 kinds of soda they sell. We bought a 6 pack of various sodas.

Close to Pop's is a big round barn.

We went to the Oklahoma City Memorial - a really nice memorial for a very tragic event.

After the memorial we went to Skull's Unlimited - a place where they deflesh animal skulls and bones. They've got a little gift shop and will be opening a museum soon. Baked was in heaven while we were there!

Last edited by KISSaholic4life; September 5th, 2008 at 8:34am.

~ Space For Rent ~

Old  September 4th, 2008, 6:28pm     #8
KISSaholic4life
Grand Master Sweeper

We stopped in Wynnewood, OK to see one of the many Muffler Man statues. They also had a giant pig and a horse statue with painted flames on it. We also took pics of a Welcome To Oklahoma sign - most of the other Welcome To (state) signs we saw we couldn't get pics taken at because of where they are located. They need to have big Welcom To (state) signs that are accessible to us geeks who want pics taken next to them, lol.

We were able to get a pic of Welcome To Texas sign after we crossed the border into Texas.

Last edited by KISSaholic4life; September 5th, 2008 at 8:36am.

~ Space For Rent ~

Old  September 4th, 2008, 6:29pm     #9
KISSaholic4life
Grand Master Sweeper

We got to Dallas around rush hour and learned that very few people in Dallas use turn signal while driving, lol. We toured the 6th Floor Museum and the Dealy Plaza area. We also checked out the Cattle Drive statues and a JFK memorial that are nearby.

We went up to Taz's after and had dinner with him at TGIFriday's. We hung out with Taz and his hubby Michael and their 3 cats and 3 dogs. Taz and Michael ROCK and so do their cats and dogs!

Day 5 - Wednesday Aug 27th - Dallas, TX to Houston, TX

We woke up early once again - cuz we had a big day for me. Taz let me fill my coffee cup up in the morning and we were off to Dublin, TX. On the way to Dublin we stopped at Lipan, TX to see the Worlds Largest Rocking Chair. The place that had the giant rocking chair also had a lot of cool stuff for sale. I want one of their dining room tables - but I didn't have the $10,000 it costs, lol.

We arrived in Dublin in time to take a tour of the original Dr Pepper plant - the only one that makes the original formula Dr Pepper. We also had a bite to eat and a Dr Pepper shake. Yum yum!

Last edited by KISSaholic4life; September 5th, 2008 at 8:44am.

~ Space For Rent ~

Old  September 4th, 2008, 6:29pm     #10
KISSaholic4life
Grand Master Sweeper

We were going to go to the Dr Pepper museum in Waco, TX after the stop in Dublin but we changed our minds cuz we had a special stop to make. We headed over to Corsicana, TX so we could pick up a couple of their world famous fruit cakes for Lulu! After Corsicana we headed to Houston. We stopped and checked out the giant Sam Houston statue in Huntsville, TX.

We got to Lulu's house in near Houston just in time for a BBQ meal prepared by Lulu's hubby Tom. They even had corn on the cob for me! I finally got to meet Lexi! In case you don't know by now - Lexi ROCKS! I was gonna try and dognap Lexi - but I think Lulu was watching me too closely so I couldn't get Lexi.

Last edited by KISSaholic4life; September 5th, 2008 at 8:46am.

~ Space For Rent ~

Old  September 4th, 2008, 6:30pm     #11
KISSaholic4life
Grand Master Sweeper

Day 6 - Thursday Aug 28th - Houston, TX to San Antonio, TX

Today is the big day - we head to San Antonio, TX for the 19th Annual Sweepstakes Convention. We had been waiting for over a year for this day to come. We left mid morning and our first stop was at the National Museum Of Funeral History. It's not as creepy as one would think a funeral museum is. Lotsa cool caskets and coffins and hearses. Again, Baked was in heaven!

We stopped in Brookshire, TX to check out the Tywheelosaurus Rex - a dinosaur made from tire rims.

Heading towards San Antonio we saw a warning sign along side the road - it read 'Sweepers Ahead'.

Naturally we had to stop and and take a few pics.

We also stopped in Seguin, TX to see the worlds 2nd largest pecan sculpture.

Last edited by KISSaholic4life; September 5th, 2008 at 8:50am.

~ Space For Rent ~

Old  September 4th, 2008, 6:30pm     #12
KISSaholic4life
Grand Master Sweeper

We finally got to San Antonio mid afternoon and checked into the hotel. I think the first person we saw was Gemini Lion. I waited a whole year to see Gemini again - I was her roommate for a nite at last years convention. We found more OLS'ers in one of the hotels restaurants - Cathy Veester and hubby, KB & Taz (long time no see, lol), Pamcakes, KDavis, PlayWanda, Caran52, CSandFS and a few more that were there.

We went and pick up our convention packages and then to the meet and greet. It was great to see ColJim, Panda, DaveW, Gabrielle772, JesterPester, Brent, Nicole, TexSweeper (my Dr Pepper Pal), Joolzie, OLSPickedMyNick, TinyMoMo, KDavis, PlayWanda, Gmaw, Binski, Pamcakes, AKTrader, Caran52, Panda and many more sweepers from OLS and around the country. Later that evening me, Lulu and Baked headed out to the Riverwalk to meet up with a few OLS'ers. It took us awhile, but we eventually found them - it's really easy to get lost on the Riverwalk.

Day 7 - Friday Aug 29th - San Antonio, TX

We went down to the floor that the convention was on and had a bite to eat. In all honesty, the breakfast wasn't that great on Friday and Sunday mornings. I'm not a big breakfast eater so it didn't bother me too much. There wasn't much of a variety of stuff and it seemed there wasn't enough for everybody.

9AM the convention officially kicks off! The convention organizers welcomed us all with open arms and sang us a song. The decor for the convention was really cool. They had a cowboy themed stage and entry ways. They had some 8-10 foot tall cowboy boots at the entryway into the convention. The first set of prizes they gave away was the 'Pick A Prize' ones. They had choice of 8 or so prizes that we could put our tickets in. I chose the San Antonio area gift cards. Some of the other choices were GC's to buy a cowboy outfit, a cowgirl outfit, a dinner and cruise on the Riverwalk, a camera, tickets to Six Flaggs, dinner and conversation with this years guest speaker, hundreds of 3x5 cards filled out with your name and one person won the 'Sheriff For The Weekend' prize - they got special VIP treatment all weekend.

They had a roll call of the states and had people who were from each state and Canada stand up as their state was shown on the screen.The people that attended the convention had the opportunity to fill out a sweep survey a month or 2 before the convention started and the results were shown at the convention. Almost 90% of those attending filled out the survey - the grand total of the ARV of prizes won was over $52 million!

Jeffrey Feinman was this years guest speaker. He's been in the marketing and promotion business for many years and his companies have been responsible for holding a lot of sweeps and promotions over the years.

During the sessions they had various sweepers give some consumer reports on various sweeping related products.

After lunch they had a prize give away called Deal Or No Deal - it was based on the TV show of the same name. They ended up giving away over $5,000! Brent even went up and matched some of the prize money so some people won double the cash! My biggest complaint - and one that I heard from several people - was that the games that they had for some of the prize giveaways took a long time and some people were getting bored.

Later in the afternoon they held a envelope decorating contest - Gemini got either 2nd or 3rd place and TinyMoMo won the contest!

They also held some mini-sessions - I didn't attend any of those. I was too busy checking out the vendor rooms - and entering some vendor raffles.

Lulu, Baked and I ate at Sazo's Latin Grill that is in the Marriott Rivercenter Hotel - great food! Baked wasn't feeling to well after dinner - I think it was the number of rum and cokes he enjoyed before dinner - so he went to the room to go to bed. Me and Lulu found the party room and hung out there for awhile - we did go back to check on Baked to make sure he was ok - boy were we surprised when we went into the room!

Later that nite a group of us roamed the hotel looking for things to take pics of. We met up with a lady who wanted our trolls to meet her pal Dobber - her roommate wasn't too happy, I don't know if it was because there were about a dozen of us in her room taking pics or if it was because it was around 1 AM, lol.

Last edited by KISSaholic4life; September 5th, 2008 at 8:56am.

~ Space For Rent ~

Old  September 4th, 2008, 6:31pm     #13
KISSaholic4life
Grand Master Sweeper

Day 8 - Saturday Aug 30th - San Antonio, TX

The Saturday session didn't start until 11am - which was really cool, we got to sleep in a bit. They started off with drawing the grand prize for the lottery ticket raffle - I can't remember how many lottery tickets the grand prize winner won - but they had a table set up with 8 scratchers who spent the next few hours scratching the tickets for the winner.

After picking the name of the lottery ticket grand prize winner they started the lunch buffet. Some of the items on the buffet included - tortilla chips and salsa, tortilla soup, cabbage slaw, chicken and beef fajitas, cheese enchiladas, Spanish rice, beans and for dessert they had key lime pie and cinnamon churros. They had a great system of having people go up to the buffett - they had a few rows of tables go up at a time, they chose them by picking letters out of a bag. They also had a separate buffett line for those in wheelchair/needed assistance/etc. The only complaint I have about the buffet was that by the time our table (our table was the 2nd or 3rd to the last set of tables allowed to go up to the buffett) was called up they were running out of food. I ended up going thru at least 5 different buffet lines just to fill up a plate of food and still didn't get to try everything on the menu. I waited at least 15 minutes for them to bring out some coleslaw. The only thing left on the dessert buffet was the key lime pie - they didn't have the cinnamon churros or the strawberry sauce for the pies.

After lunch Santa and his elves made an appearance! The elves brought a present to each table and some brought presents to put under the Christmas tree up on stage. The present on each table was randomly given to a person sitting at each table. The person who won the present at our table got a saddle and chaps tree decoration.

They pulled names out of the drum to give away the presents under the Christmas tree. The people whose names were called got to go up on stage and pick the present they wanted to open. 1 person won a laptop and another lucky person won a computer system.

After those prize giveaways they had Jeffrey Feinman come up and do a Q & A session.

After Jeffrey spoke it was time for the raffle drawings. One person at our table won $250 in lottery tickets and Baked won 500 first class stamps! Several other OLS'ers won prizes from the raffles too!

Last edited by KISSaholic4life; September 5th, 2008 at 8:59am.

~ Space For Rent ~

Old  September 4th, 2008, 6:31pm     #14
KISSaholic4life
Grand Master Sweeper

Lulu, Baked and I went out to eat later that evening - we started at Dick's Last Resort but we didn't really care for the atmosphere nor the long wait time to get a table. We headed over to the Hard Rock Cafe but their wait time was just as long. We ended up eating at Fuddruckers - neither Baked nor I had ever eaten at a Fuddruckers before - they've got some pretty good food.

After dinner we met TexSweeper, Binski, OLSPickedMyNick and her son Aubrey, Gemini Lion, Brent, Nicole and Beanie at the Menger hotel - we went there looking for ghosts! It's a really nice hotel - lotsa San Antonio history there. We didn't see any ghosts - but when we got to the 4th floor, 3 of the digital cameras we had in our group quit working!

Most of us ended up at the bar in the Sazo's restaurant and hung out there for awhile. It ended up being a really late nite for me - I didn't stumbled back into my room until almost 4am.

Day 9 - Sunday Aug 31st - San Antonio, TX to Houston, TX

The day started way too early for me and my hangover. They started the final session of the convention with a Pinata Party. Lulu and PlayWanda were winners at our table - Lulu won $100 and PlayWanda won lotsa sweeping supplies.

They also revealed the location of the 2010 sweeps convention - Minneapolis, MN! Baked and I weren't too happy to hear that - it kinda messes up our 'Road Trip To The 2010 Sweeps Convention' since we both live about 2 hours away, lol. We'll have to come up with some type of road trip idea for 2010.

They also had the hosts of the 2009 sweeps convention in Manchester, NH come up and give us details about next years convention - it looks like it's gonna be AWESOME in NH!

After that they had a panel of representatives of some of the biggest sweep newsletter and online sites - Brent and KB represented for the best site - OLS!

The final prize giveaways for the convention was the Keyturn - it wasn't your typical keyturn game because everybody who got called up on stage got a key and every key was a winning key! I think they could have made it go by a bit faster by letting the people go from one door to the next until their key opened a door instead of having them go to the end of the line and try again.

After the convention was over it was time to check out of the hotel and head back to Houston. The drive back to Houston from San Antonio didn't seem to take as long as the drive from Houston to San Anontio - I think that was mainly due to me napping in the back of the truck, lol.

We spent the nite at Lulu's on Sunday - and I got to see Lexi again! I Lexi! I again tried to sneak Lexi into my luggage but Lulu was watching me too closely so I didn't get her.

I Lulu!

Last edited by KISSaholic4life; September 5th, 2008 at 9:06am.

~ Space For Rent ~

Old  September 4th, 2008, 6:32pm     #15
KISSaholic4life
Grand Master Sweeper

Day 10 - Monday Sep 1st - Houston, TX to Independence, MO

This was probably the earliest we got up on our whole trip - we were up by 5:30am and on the road by 6:30 am. We had over 12 hours of driving to do to get to Independence - and that's not including the stops we made along the way for pics, food and a few smoke breaks.

Our first stop of the day was in Paris, TX to see the Eiffel Tower and Spyro The Dragon.

After Paris we stopped in Hugo, OK to check out a cemetary that has a section of graves of circus people!

We stopped in McAlesters for gas and food. We stopped at Angels Diner but they were closed for the day. We did take a few pics cuz the place looks pretty cool.

We ended up eating an AWESOME little diner called Marilyn's Restaurant. Great food, atmosphere and server!

Last edited by KISSaholic4life; September 5th, 2008 at 9:09am.

~ Space For Rent ~