Originally Posted by kbsocial View Post
It's the trolls you have to worry about

Becky
  Old  September 6th, 2008, 1:27am     #47
jenninshelby
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
The convention's featured speaker was absolutely top notch. I couldn't imagine a more interesting, relevant, qualified or appropriate speaker than one of the true giants of prize promotion industry. Of the most commonly asked questions by sweepers are many that could only be definitively answered by someone of Mr. Feinman's unique qualifications and stature. Not only did Mr. Feinman speak, he had a separate question and answer period where he spent an hour answering questions provided by the sweepers in attendance. (He even answered the infamous is RoboForm OK question in detail!)
Can someome tell those of us not there what guest speaker Mr. Feinman had to say about Roboform? OK or No Go?

"The cat has always been associated with the Moon. For like the moon, it comes to life at night, escaping from humanity and wandering over housetops with its eyes
beaming out through the darkness."
  Old  September 6th, 2008, 3:30am     #48
CARAN52
Master Sweeper

Roboform is fine. And so are decorated envelopes!!! Gotta love him. I just bought his book off of Amazon. Have to sit down and read it now. Don't know how I missed it over the years.

Oh, and don't worry about the food at tent city....we don't eat....liquid will be fine. Oh, yeah, you do have to watch out for the trolls!!! The cone out of the woodwork.

While I'm up on the soapbox, I still have some room left at the Hershey convention, but they are going fast. It's nice, fun and not as much drama, promise!!!

And by the way, I do know what they spent for the backdrops and you have no clue how cheap they got it for. I know cause I sat down with Robert because I loved it for my convention and was asking about where they rented it from. Fantastic negotiations Robert and staff!!! I couldn't have done better myself and it DID make the whole weekend fun from the banker hiding behind the door right up to the elves coming out. Loved it all, loved the videos of the actual winners winning, how awesome. I can't even think of touching something like that and the college donating all of their time -- whahooo---way to go.

Not all editors fight all editors....if you heard me speak on Sunday I am an editor and adore Brent and the other editors. In fact, we all sat together on Saturday night for about an hour talking with each other, even surprising Gwen how well we all got along. All the cut-throats are out of business and gone by the wayside as far as I'm concerned. All of the newsletters on the panel Sunday have been nothing but supportive of me and my new venture and I in support of them likewise. It's a new dawn guys.......pixie dust to all.
  Old  September 6th, 2008, 8:38am     #49
gemini lion
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyzofblu63 View Post
OH Damn, I am going to have to start working on sleeping arrangements and a menu big enough to feed the lot of you
Don't worry too much about the food, a kegger will do just fine!

Undergoing maintenance
  Old  September 6th, 2008, 11:49am     #50
JackpotJoe
Sweeper

Location: Quad City area Western Illinois/Eastern Iowa (Colona, IL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
----------------

What's your definition of a "great amount" of "convention bought prizes?"
This year's convention included $5,000 cash for the Deal or No Deal game, all of the Pick-A-Prize prizes including dinner at Morton's Steakhouse for 7 and a RiverWalk dinner cruise for 16 (among others), 3 laptop computers, 2 Dell desktop computers with 19" flat panel monitors, 5 digital photo frames, 4 printers, 3 TVs (including one big screen flat panel), 3 personal DVD players, 3 NASCAR scanners, 3 GPS Navigators, Nintendo Wiis, XBOX 360s, and various gift cards.

I didn't pay real close attention to the amount of convention-bought prizes from prior conventions. That being said, this year's convention-bought prizes seemed comparable to the prior conventions I've attended (Moline and Scottsdale).

----------------

If you consider the western-themed props at this year's western-themed convention "extravagant" (that is by definition exceeding the limits of reason or necessity; lacking in moderation, balance, and restraint; extremely or excessively elaborate; spending much more than necessary), then what in the world was Cindy Morgan?

----------------

Brent

The prizes bought with registration money given away at Moline included:

2 -- $1500 travel vouchers with luggage
6 -- Toshiba Laptop computers
5 -- Didital Camcorders
10 -- Digital Camera's
60 -- MP3 players
120 -- Digital Voice recorders
40 -- Birthday bags containing 500 first class stamps (20,000 stamps)
100 -- $25 gift cards to Walmart ($2500)
100 -- $25 gift cards to Staples ($2500)
100 -- $25 gift cards to Best Buy ($2500)
$3000 -- Cash given away in various denominations.
$2535 -- Stamps that we purchased to add to donated prizes to bring the value to at least $25.

Everyone thinks I spent a ton on Cindy Morgan -- I didn't. She didn't arive and depart in a Limo like Santa at this years convention did. Nor did the convention registration pay for her room.

JackpotJoe's 2005 Wins
  Old  September 6th, 2008, 12:31pm     #51
blmckone
Sweeper

Convention prizes
I had a great time. I won some great prizes. I just wanted to say that I thought OLS gave away a ton of money at the convention. I couldnt believe how generous they were. I unfortunately didnt win any money from OLS but they really stick out in my mind as the top prize donator at the San Antonio convention. Thanks Brent!
I have been to 5 or 6 conventions and they all were fun.
Becky
  Old  September 6th, 2008, 12:34pm     #52
CathyVeester
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenninshelby View Post
Can someome tell those of us not there what guest speaker Mr. Feinman had to say about Roboform? OK or No Go?
He said it was okay.

Old  September 7th, 2008, 12:38am     #53
jenninshelby
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyVeester View Post
He said it was okay.
Thanks for the info.. I am gonna keep using RoboForm!!

"The cat has always been associated with the Moon. For like the moon, it comes to life at night, escaping from humanity and wandering over housetops with its eyes
beaming out through the darkness."
  Old  September 10th, 2008, 9:45pm     #54
StarbucksAddict
Grand Master Sweeper
Senior Moderator/Editor
LUKALOVAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackpotJoe View Post
The prizes bought with registration money given away at Moline included:

2 -- $1500 travel vouchers with luggage
6 -- Toshiba Laptop computers
5 -- Didital Camcorders
10 -- Digital Camera's
60 -- MP3 players
120 -- Digital Voice recorders
40 -- Birthday bags containing 500 first class stamps (20,000 stamps)
100 -- $25 gift cards to Walmart ($2500)
100 -- $25 gift cards to Staples ($2500)
100 -- $25 gift cards to Best Buy ($2500)
$3000 -- Cash given away in various denominations.
$2535 -- Stamps that we purchased to add to donated prizes to bring the value to at least $25.

Everyone thinks I spent a ton on Cindy Morgan -- I didn't. She didn't arive and depart in a Limo like Santa at this years convention did. Nor did the convention registration pay for her room.
Well, just the discount convention attendees got on the hotel rooms in San Antonio ($175+) far exceeded the undiscounted cost of a Moline hotel room, ever. Also, I don't know much about the digital camcorders, mp3 players or voice recorders, but I know the digital cameras were some off-brand I'd never heard of before and extremely cheap. So don't pat yourself on the back too much.
  Old  September 12th, 2008, 4:45pm     #55
Dave W.
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarbucksAddict View Post
but I know the digital cameras were some off-brand I'd never heard of before and extremely cheap. So don't pat yourself on the back too much.

"...and the award for most blunt message board post goes to....."
  Old  September 13th, 2008, 8:02pm     #56
Gail12
Sweeper

I did not go to this years covention but I hope to go to New Hapshire next year for my first sweepers conventin. I have had to go to conventions for work and find the cost reasonable and in line with other conventions that do not have any prizes. It would be an added bonus if people won but I do not think that is the main reason why peole should go or the purpose of the convention. The people who work on these events I am sure put in countless hours of work and should be appreciated for their dedication to the sweeping community. Who would want to continue to work on this if people are criticized. Just my opinion I look forward to meeting my fellow sweepers in person and maybe even having a HOF win by then. lol Wishing you all peace.
  Old  September 28th, 2008, 4:32am     #57
CarasMom
Junior Sweeper

Thumbs up REPORT FROM TEXAS: Gwen Great & Feinman Fabulous
This was my first sweepstakes convention in in several years but I’d like to add my thoughts.

Before I got into the Mom business I was an executive meeting planner for 12 years. I have worked on most every type of meeting (e.g. sales meetings, company conventions, stockholder meetings, college reunions etc). I have also been a sweeps hobbyist for almost fifteen years. I have some very big wins. So for the record I guess I qualify as a dual- professional.

Here are my observations ...

1. Gwen and Bob did a better job than most professional meeting planners. This convention had the look and feel of a meeting with a budget many times its size.
2. A meeting like this usually takes at least two full time staff people working for upwards of a year
3. Anyone who thinks somebody is getting rich on a budget of $160.00 a person has no real world experience. Today the industry average for a gathering such as this would be $400 to $600 ... minimum.
4. Speakers come in all sizes and quality. I have sat through some real stinkeroos of speakers. And frankly some of the worst I have ever heard have been at sweepstakes meetings and gatherings. Speakers are very expensive and can chew up a big part of the budget.
5. Feinman is one of the best speakers I have ever heard and the ABSOLUTE BEST I ever heard at a contest and sweepstakes meeting. He was entertaining, but more important, very informative. In addition, I am told that what he charged was a fraction of his usual fee because he is fond of Bob and Gwen. Whats more, most speakers buzz in and buzz out as soon as their speech is over. Feinman was very gracious and spoke on two separate days. Whats more he was the “door prize” by going to dinner with a special door prize sweeps winner. He was around a good part of three days and was gracious, helpful, charming and willing to answer most any question. He even helped explain a complex sweepstakes tax question I had. He called his accountant and told him “Bill me for the time” and let me speak to the accountant for over half an hour! One seldom finds speakers of this caliber.
6. Every part of the meeting was enjoyable and I am on board for all future meetings.
  Old  October 2nd, 2008, 5:36pm     #58
swhitaker99
Sweeper

Thank you Brent for your thoughtful replies to all this negativity. I, for one, had a wonderful time at this convention.