Old  September 5th, 2008, 6:34pm     #31
Brent
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janir View Post
I can't really add any thoughtful info, because I didn't go! But I have received a few PM's from buds who did attend, and they were all very disappointed.

My first convention was San Diego, I can't say enough about it! ALL positive, Steve and the San Diego Sweepers worked tirelessly and YES, there were loads of AWESOME prizes! So of course I was pumped to go to the next years in Phoenix. The hotel was great, but all in all I was disappointed, honestly, no, I DON'T want to pay for a mariachi band that played way too long at just the wrong time. And the grand prizes, those silver bars? Even the lucky winners looked bummed. Plus there was a lot of grumbling about the 3X5's drawing, the cardboard box thing was, well, tacky...

I have mixed feelings, of course it's so much fun to meet fellow sweepers, but I DO feel like the prizes are important as well. I understand very well that it's a HUGE undertaking putting on a convention, and I applaud those groups who tackle it. They will never be able to please everybody, that's a given. And I'm sure they are all very nice people. But given all the complaints about this one, plus my own experience, I seriously doubt that I would fly cross-country next year, it's just too iffy.

P.S., summer in SA is freaking HOT! Ditto Phoenix! So it's obviously the off-season & I'm sure hotel rates can be adjusted accordingly, even nice resorts are going to have many empty rooms during that season.
I thought the silver bars were a fantastic prize, one of my all-time favorites.

1. They fit the theme and location perfectly (Arizona has a very significant mining industry, including silver).

2. They were a very unique prize.

3. They're the only convention prizes I've seen that were actually more valuable than everyone's favorite- cash. The winners can easily sell them for cash at most coin shops or bullion dealers.

AMPEX (American Precious Metals Exchange) - Silver Bars (Secondary Market & New)
http://www.apmex.com/Category/518/Si...rket__New.aspx

Silver, at the time, was trading for about $12 an ounce on the spot market. So the 100-ounce silver bars that were given away were worth about $1,200 at the time.

Silver has risen to as high as $21 an ounce since then (it peaked in March of this year), making the 100-ounce silver bar prizes worth $9 an ounce more ($2,100 per 100-ounce bar) at the time.

Currently, after a big drop of almost $1 just today, silver is trading right around $12.25 an ounce. Late summer typically sees the seasonal lows in the precious metals market, early spring/spring typically sees the seasonal peaks.

Brent

Please help your fellow OLS members win! - Referral and Vote Requests ~ Premium Referral and Vote Requests
  Old  September 5th, 2008, 6:58pm     #32
eyzofblu63
Grand Master Sweeper

WOW, so much negativity and conspiracy theories.

I have to say, I am totally excited about next years convention, it's right in my backyard, 8 miles from my home....in Manchester......I wish I had room to house you all,lol........anyway, I am excited because it's probably the only convention I will ever go to and I have wanted to go for the last few years.

IDK, Maybe I am excited BECAUSE I have never been to one and don't know what to expect, but my reasons for wanting to go are to meet some OLS'ers, put faces to the screen names, to enjoy myself and let loose a little. My desire to go has nothing to do with prizes....am I going to complain if I win a prize, HECK NO but by the same token I am not going to complain if I don't win a thing, it's not what I am going for.

Jeez, calm down people, if you go expecting to win and don't of course you are going to feel bad. If you go with the attitude that you get to meet great peeps who share your passion, you will be a lot less disappointed. Lighten up everyone. If you weren't happy then don't go to another one. Simple.

Anyway, can't wait for 2009, hope to meet lots of you in Manchester
  Old  September 5th, 2008, 8:08pm     #33
binski
Grand Master Sweeper
Senior Moderator/Editor
Legal Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyzofblu63 View Post
WOW, so much negativity and conspiracy theories.

I have to say, I am totally excited about next years convention, it's right in my backyard, 8 miles from my home....in Manchester......I wish I had room to house you all,lol........anyway, I am excited because it's probably the only convention I will ever go to and I have wanted to go for the last few years.

IDK, Maybe I am excited BECAUSE I have never been to one and don't know what to expect, but my reasons for wanting to go are to meet some OLS'ers, put faces to the screen names, to enjoy myself and let loose a little. My desire to go has nothing to do with prizes....am I going to complain if I win a prize, HECK NO but by the same token I am not going to complain if I don't win a thing, it's not what I am going for.

Jeez, calm down people, if you go expecting to win and don't of course you are going to feel bad. If you go with the attitude that you get to meet great peeps who share your passion, you will be a lot less disappointed. Lighten up everyone. If you weren't happy then don't go to another one. Simple.

Anyway, can't wait for 2009, hope to meet lots of you in Manchester
I am so coming to stay at your house. And bringing my whole motley crew.
  Old  September 5th, 2008, 8:53pm     #34
gemini lion
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by binski View Post
I am so coming to stay at your house. And bringing my whole motley crew.
You know I'm in!

Undergoing maintenance
  Old  September 5th, 2008, 8:55pm     #35
kbsocial
Grand Master Sweeper
Administrator
Queen Peep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini lion View Post
You know I'm in!
Tritto
  Old  September 5th, 2008, 8:59pm     #36
KISSaholic4life
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsocial View Post
Tritto

Fouritto!

~ Space For Rent ~
I can be found at Facebook - look for KISSaholic4life

Old  September 5th, 2008, 9:03pm     #37
IrishRose23
Senior Master Sweeper

Can I join in?? The more the merrier?
  Old  September 5th, 2008, 9:10pm     #38
eyzofblu63
Grand Master Sweeper

lol, maybe I can set up tent city in my backyard. The house may be a littel crowded with 8 Parrots, 4 dogs, a raccooon and a turtle.

Who knows as close as I am to Manchester I might still stay at least one night at the hotel with the rest of you trouble makers.
  Old  September 5th, 2008, 9:27pm     #39
Brent
Webmaster

Quote:
lol, maybe I can set up tent city in my backyard. The house may be a littel crowded with 8 Parrots, 4 dogs, a raccooon and a turtle.

Who knows as close as I am to Manchester I might still stay at least one night at the hotel with the rest of you trouble makers.
Just say the word and I'll be glad to make an announcement on the front page, lol.

Brent

Please help your fellow OLS members win! - Referral and Vote Requests ~ Premium Referral and Vote Requests
  Old  September 5th, 2008, 9:39pm     #40
binski
Grand Master Sweeper
Senior Moderator/Editor
Legal Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Just say the word and I'll be glad to make an announcement on the front page, lol.

Brent
Girl, see what you've done. You have no idea how bad we are. Animals and all............party at your house.........it's official!
  Old  September 5th, 2008, 9:42pm     #41
Gmaw
Master Sweeper

Yay! Party at eyzofblu63's house! No need for hotel reservations now.

Life is good. Love it, live it to the fullest!
  Old  September 5th, 2008, 9:43pm     #42
littlelulu
Grand Master Sweeper

Lexi and I will be there!
  Old  September 5th, 2008, 10:07pm     #43
OLSPickedMyNick
Senior Master Sweeper

The trolls and I will be there!

Becky
  Old  September 5th, 2008, 10:10pm     #44
eyzofblu63
Grand Master Sweeper

OH Damn, I am going to have to start working on sleeping arrangements and a menu big enough to feed the lot of you
  Old  September 5th, 2008, 10:11pm     #45
kbsocial
Grand Master Sweeper
Administrator
Queen Peep

Quote:
OH Damn, I am going to have to start working on sleeping arrangements and a menu big enough to feed the lot of you
It's the trolls you have to worry about