Old  August 31st, 2008, 11:55pm     #1
newsbabe
Junior Sweeper

Convention Prizes
Just wondering if anyone has a tally on how much was given out by the convention committee in prizes? I'm not talking about the prizes that were donated or the stamps, lottery tickets etc. that everyone contributed individually. I'm just wondering how much was spent on prizes out of the $160,000 that was collected from the more than 1,000 attendees who paid $160 per person to go to the convention. Does anyone know?
  Old  September 1st, 2008, 2:29am     #2
viclen1954
Master Sweeper

Not adding up?
Makes me wonder. This was my 5th convention and the prizes given seemed to rely heavily on donated prizes from clubs...Or maybe with 1,000 attendees the prize pool just seemed sparse...keep in mind also, that the registration fee also covered the bagels and tacos, the food is never cheap.

Last edited by viclen1954; September 1st, 2008 at 2:31am. Reason: more info

My Wins
  Old  September 1st, 2008, 2:40am     #3
kennys2006
Master Sweeper

yeah, yeah.. still heavy fees from what seems like not a lot of prizes? :-/

Need to buy Amazon GCs?
  Old  September 1st, 2008, 8:12am     #4
Lisanne
Sweeper

Also wondering
I also thought the prizes were awfully sparse. I for one would have rather seen a bare stage, bought my own lunch, and had more prize giveaways. At other conventions I've attended, there have been sessions where names were just drawn and prizes given out for hours. I kept telling the people at my table that it was good our names weren't drawn to play the games, because the "big prizes" were coming at the end of the session. But that never happened! I'm wondering how much of the prize money went to pay the speaker.
  Old  September 1st, 2008, 9:58am     #5
gemini lion
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisanne View Post
I also thought the prizes were awfully sparse. I for one would have rather seen a bare stage, bought my own lunch, and had more prize giveaways. At other conventions I've attended, there have been sessions where names were just drawn and prizes given out for hours. I kept telling the people at my table that it was good our names weren't drawn to play the games, because the "big prizes" were coming at the end of the session. But that never happened! I'm wondering how much of the prize money went to pay the speaker.
I agree and this seems to be the concensus from those that I've talked to on my many smoking breaks. Also, I could have done without the games, they seemed to drag on and on and on.

Undergoing maintenance
  Old  September 1st, 2008, 8:58pm     #6
psalmstress
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini lion View Post
I agree and this seems to be the concensus from those that I've talked to on my many smoking breaks. Also, I could have done without the games, they seemed to drag on and on and on.
Glad to know I wasn't the only one that thought the games would never end. Of course I probably wouldn't have minded so much if my name had been called.(lol)
  Old  September 2nd, 2008, 12:29pm     #7
newsbabe
Junior Sweeper

Maybe someone on the convention committee can tell us how much was spent out of that $160,000 on prizes.
`
It would also really help the planners of other conventions to know how much they should allocate for food, hotel, prizes and other costs. I'm sure someone on the convention committee has a breakdown.
  Old  September 2nd, 2008, 1:00pm     #8
coljim
Grand Master Sweeper

Doesn't look like we'll be going to any more conventions for a long while. Jim and I were both disenchanted with the tedium. Also, I prefer more people to win rather than one huge winner and fewer small prizes. So many more won in Detroit and there were a lot of laughs there too. As always we were happy to meet old friends and make new ones.

My Wins
  Old  September 2nd, 2008, 6:30pm     #9
CARAN52
Master Sweeper

Planning committees
The hosts for each year do work together in getting an idea of fees, etc. in hosting a convnetion. Many attend several of the meetings before even getting brave enough to step forward and then after that point there is a team of experienced hosts from previous conventions that are just an email awaya in helping in any way they can.

The fact is plain and simple, renting a convention center and the rooms needed, coupled with sound equipment, video, etc. is very, very expensive. They have done a fantastic job in their negotiations in getting those fees down by taking the weeks that are not in high demand. I don't recall ever reading anywhere that the convention registration fee was to cover all of the prizes. Yes, they do cover the top few per session but they rely heavily on us giving towards it with donations. Yes, they could increase the cost of your registration to cover loads of prizes, but then how many of you would not be able to cover a say $200 to $250 registration fee plus hotel. This way by us donating we can donate prizes we may have won along the way. Pick up some bargains that we find throughout the year or maybe even donate stuff that we have access to within our own employers.

It's a very thankless and time consuming job and the amount of groups taking bids to hold it are getting toughter each year. We are scaring them off by not uniting and trying to make it the best for everyone.
  Old  September 2nd, 2008, 8:48pm     #10
newsbabe
Junior Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARAN52 View Post
The hosts for each year do work together in getting an idea of fees, etc. in hosting a convnetion. Many attend several of the meetings before even getting brave enough to step forward and then after that point there is a team of experienced hosts from previous conventions that are just an email awaya in helping in any way they can.

The fact is plain and simple, renting a convention center and the rooms needed, coupled with sound equipment, video, etc. is very, very expensive. They have done a fantastic job in their negotiations in getting those fees down by taking the weeks that are not in high demand. I don't recall ever reading anywhere that the convention registration fee was to cover all of the prizes. Yes, they do cover the top few per session but they rely heavily on us giving towards it with donations. Yes, they could increase the cost of your registration to cover loads of prizes, but then how many of you would not be able to cover a say $200 to $250 registration fee plus hotel. This way by us donating we can donate prizes we may have won along the way. Pick up some bargains that we find throughout the year or maybe even donate stuff that we have access to within our own employers.

It's a very thankless and time consuming job and the amount of groups taking bids to hold it are getting toughter each year. We are scaring them off by not uniting and trying to make it the best for everyone.
I understand it is expensive to put on a convention. And I also understand that nowhere does it say that the registration fee was to cover all the prizes. But this was the most expensive convention ever at $160 per person. That comes to at least $160,000 -- not counting the fees collected from vendors. So, if the rooms, food and all other convention incidentals cost $100,000 (a generous estimate given that this was only a three day affair), then that means there should have been more than $60,000 in prizes handed out at the convention. There wasn't. So the bottom line is -- what was that money used for?. Surely someone knows.
  Old  September 2nd, 2008, 10:45pm     #11
TinyMoMo
Grand Master Sweeper

I don't go for the prizes. I go to learn from others and to meet people.

if you are unhappy with the convention, then for pissakes do not go to another one.
  Old  September 3rd, 2008, 9:19am     #12
newsbabe
Junior Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyMoMo View Post
I don't go for the prizes. I go to learn from others and to meet people.

if you are unhappy with the convention, then for pissakes do not go to another one.
I wasn't unhappy with the convention. I am unhappy that there seems to be a lot of money unaccounted for and no one from the convention has stepped up to the plate to say how all that money was spent. While I commend the convention committee for all the hard work they put in, I also believe they have a responsibility to all of us to account for the money they spent. It's very telling that no one has done that yet.
  Old  September 3rd, 2008, 9:54am     #13
TinyMoMo
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsbabe View Post
I wasn't unhappy with the convention. I am unhappy that there seems to be a lot of money unaccounted for and no one from the convention has stepped up to the plate to say how all that money was spent. While I commend the convention committee for all the hard work they put in, I also believe they have a responsibility to all of us to account for the money they spent. It's very telling that no one has done that yet.

It sure sounds like you are unhappy to me. I am not sure why you think money is unaccounted for.
The convention is a business. it costs money to run a business. No one needs to tell us a thing about how the money was spent. And i suggest you don't hold your breath waiting for any answer either. it is over...and we are on to the next one.
So while you "commend" everyone who worked on it- you on on a public board complaining about it.

They did a great job, we all had fun. Move on.
  Old  September 3rd, 2008, 10:15am     #14
minnies88
Sweeper

I don't comment much on the boards, but I do read them quite often. I did go to the convention for the first time. I also thought it would be a once in a lifetime experience. That was after reading all of the other comments on previous conventions. I don't believe I will be attending any other conventions. I basically went to get information and to meet others. I did not attend just for the prizes. I do not believe I received the bang for my buck.

I really did enjoy seeing San Antonio and I can appreciate all of the hard work that went into the preparations. Maybe the convention is growing too big to enjoy it as much as the previous conventions. I really don't know.

I did not feel so welcomed as a newcomer to this convention. I did meet some nice people, but I was just a newbie at the convention. I also did not get to draw a number in the prize closet as it stated on the schedule. Just was handed a bag with brochures in it. Not sure if I missed something, but it makes me wonder. I just wanted to comment because I believe there are more of us that may feel same as newsbabe.
  Old  September 3rd, 2008, 11:41am     #15
OLSPickedMyNick
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnies88 View Post
I don't comment much on the boards, but I do read them quite often. I did go to the convention for the first time. I also thought it would be a once in a lifetime experience. That was after reading all of the other comments on previous conventions. I don't believe I will be attending any other conventions. I basically went to get information and to meet others. I did not attend just for the prizes. I do not believe I received the bang for my buck.

I really did enjoy seeing San Antonio and I can appreciate all of the hard work that went into the preparations. Maybe the convention is growing too big to enjoy it as much as the previous conventions. I really don't know.

I did not feel so welcomed as a newcomer to this convention. I did meet some nice people, but I was just a newbie at the convention. I also did not get to draw a number in the prize closet as it stated on the schedule. Just was handed a bag with brochures in it. Not sure if I missed something, but it makes me wonder. I just wanted to comment because I believe there are more of us that may feel same as newsbabe.
As a convention virgin I would have liked to have seen a little more information concerning the how to enter, when to enter and where to place the tickets etc. I was pretty lost as far as that portion. Of course I could have hunted down someone to explain it all to me if I was so inclined.

As far as having fun I personally had a blast and got to meet so many people from OLS and that made my convention experience so much better. But I am not a shy person and will walk up and start talking to just about anyone so it was easy for me to get to know everyone.

I think the conventions are what you make of them just like everything else in life. I will be attending other conventions (hopefully the next one) and I am sure I will enjoy it just as much as I did this one. I will be a little wiser and more prepared but most importantly I will make sure to have fun and enjoy it while I am there.

Becky