Old  July 2nd, 2007, 12:27pm     #61
bumbeeboo
Master Sweeper

It's terrible how it takes one person to ruin things for other people. It will come back to them eventually.
  Old  July 2nd, 2007, 12:36pm     #62
Cybrlee
Gone Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristieP
This reminds me of a thread we had here. One of the members constantly pi$$sed and moaned every day about her money troubles and some of us were going to buy her a year of OLS.. Well it turns out that she was already paid up for 2 years!... Sigh

I have also sent people gifts for the kids birthdays etc etc and never even got a thank you.

No more giving for me

Ya know, this is sad to say, but here it goes

My sister is one of these types of people. She will take every disadvantage she comes across to turn it into an ADVANTAGE for her.

She has a daughter, who is 18 years old now, but she had this "condition" that caused her legs to twist.

Mind you, her husband has a great job with a major manufacturer here in the US with great benefits. Such great benefits, that she was able to be a stay at home wife, put thier kids in PRIVATE (christian) schools and buy more than 10 rental properties. They take vacations yearly to exotic destinations like Costa Rica, England and Hondorus.

She really played the part too. She did most of her shopping at garage sales and auctions, always talking about how they lived on a shoe string budget because they only had one income. (I'm sorry, but there are alot of working mothers out there who actually do go out and work as a means to provide for there kids)

Anyway, they did this BIG article in the paper on how the shriners were going to sponsor my neice to have this surgery and how the community could come together to help cover the travel expenses etc for the family

Mind you, for the first 16 years of this girls life, her fathers insurance would have covered this surgery, they just didn't bother to do it, or didn't want to pay the deductable. To make matters worse, they said in the media that riding a horse would be good therapy for the girl after her surgery and it would be nice to have a horse for her to ride!

If that isn't bad enough, 5 years later, every time she meets someone, she must make it a point to tell them her daughter had this condition and the struggles that she must go through. Even though she is now leading a healthy and normal life, there is always SOMETHING that is not perfect in her life she must take advantage of.

What bothers me the most is they felt no guilt for taking funds that could have been used for a family with a REAL financial need.

And I've seen the same situation here as well.

If I want to know what you and your family is doing I'll ask - I don't come here everyday to read the daily saga of a drama queen. I've seen people who can't pay thier bills, yet spend all day on the computer, (They leave that utility turned on)
I've seen people not have any money for thier childrens birthday and ask for various requests. For crying out loud, get off the internet and go make your kids something!

My new motto is:

Save the Drama for your MAMA.

I'm done giving handouts, I feel this is a sweepstakes site and not a cyber charity organization.
  Old  July 2nd, 2007, 12:50pm     #63
ky2here
Master Sweeper

I mean at the very least
we could have an evening gown, swimsuit and talent portion of the application for a Sally Struthersesque premium gift membership.

Make 'em post the segments on Youtube - that would cut down on the shameless whimpering.

If you want a free membership, you're gonna have to WORK IT.

I might donate toward a fund under those circumstances. LOL
  Old  July 2nd, 2007, 2:45pm     #64
BEARHUGS65
Senior Master Sweeper

maybe if there is going to be like a gift to someone you don't know have a rule- they have to have been a member for 60- 90 days and actually have so many posts-not just sign up and then come back on day 29 to start saying I cannot afford- whats a green- what are premies and so forth- - - I just say be smart and use your logic - there are too many con artists out there these days and there are many here on this board...

Think about it this way look at the posts too of the the people who need to go green or cannot afford- they could of sold or traded a gc win to someone who has paypal and that person pay for 3 months for them so that is no longer an excuse-

Just be cautious...be aware like when you are walking in a dark parking lot- watch out for the lurkers who make fast moves

Old  July 2nd, 2007, 4:00pm     #65
bumbeeboo
Master Sweeper

OLS could have a rule stating they can only receive a gift subscription once, or twice a year. That is if they do not win it in the MOC. Other than that if they mooch off of someone more than once that should be a red flag.
  Old  July 2nd, 2007, 8:14pm     #66
bigskwinner
Grand Master Sweeper

i often give a random person a 3 month subscription
no reason why, other then to pay it forward and no reason as to why i picked that particular person (other then the fact that they did not appear green at the bottom of the forum list)

I think its 'to each their own' and know there are some people who will never be able to financially give subs, as well no one forces anyone to do something via internet...its a decision to click that button that the giver makes

my wins 2014
MY 2016 wins
MY 2017 wins
you JELLY?
  Old  July 2nd, 2007, 8:59pm     #67
lucky77
Senior Sweeper

I got to say if I wasn't gifted . I would not have been here as long as I have. I was ready to give it up long ago .I just don't win that much but . I am very grateful for the gift. It kept me going. It gets us newbies hooked. Anyway I have never solicited to get it, it just happens. I really appreciate it and consider it one of my biggest wins. sorry to here that peoples gracious gifts are a problem for ols but it gives you business. I asm a kind person and I give for a living and i don't make much so I am not taking advantage and I always would be thankful .
  Old  July 2nd, 2007, 9:40pm     #68
SillyLilly
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskwinner
i often give a random person a 3 month subscription
no reason why, other then to pay it forward and no reason as to why i picked that particular person (other then the fact that they did not appear green at the bottom of the forum list)

I think its 'to each their own' and know there are some people who will never be able to financially give subs, as well no one forces anyone to do something via internet...its a decision to click that button that the giver makes
I do this occasionally, too. I hope I haven't given one to a scammer who runs off and tells everyone what dupes we are. But if it happens, nothing you can do. Can't let that possibility stop me from giving to someone whose day might be brightened by it.

What usually happens tho, is that they don't even seem to notice they're green. I give anonymously, so I can hardly PM them to make sure they know.
  Old  July 8th, 2007, 6:51pm     #69
BEARHUGS65
Senior Master Sweeper

bumping just to remind other beware- people may not be who they seem-----

Old  July 8th, 2007, 6:56pm     #70
SillyLilly
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEARHUGS65
bumping just to remind other beware- people may not be who they seem-----
I just saw one get gifted green this morning after starting 2 or 3 naive whining type threads. Wondered about that one!
  Old  July 8th, 2007, 7:02pm     #71
BEARHUGS65
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyLilly
I just saw one get gifted green this morning after starting 2 or 3 naive whining type threads. Wondered about that one!
look closer this person did it last weekend too and finally reeled some in....BEWARE people--could not find any mod on last night night...they all showed offline -

Old  July 8th, 2007, 7:07pm     #72
coljim
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
What usually happens tho, is that they don't even seem to notice they're green. I give anonymously, so I can hardly PM them to make sure they know.
I feel your pain lol. This has happened to me, and one I did not do anonymously didn't even say thanks. I'm not a very good "picker" apparently.

Last edited by coljim; July 9th, 2007 at 8:52pm.

My Wins
  Old  July 9th, 2007, 4:43am     #73
germangirl
Senior Sweeper

Quote:
I do this occasionally, too. I hope I haven't given one to a scammer who runs off and tells everyone what dupes we are. But if it happens, nothing you can do. Can't let that possibility stop me from giving to someone whose day might be brightened by it.

Maybe those who receive a gifted subscription should receive a PM from a mod informing them of their new green status.
  Old  July 9th, 2007, 5:21am     #74
HYDEIST
Master Sweeper

Meanwhile a few of us who paid our own way and work for a living are still waiting for our payments to post.
I'm a legitimate member whose green expired last week. I sent my money order in June and I'm still waiting to be re-greened. Meanwhile someone acts pathetic and PRESTO! instant green. I guess it pays to be a bum.

Quote:

NANAKOROBI YAOKI
(Japanese for "Fall seven times, get up eight.")
  Old  July 9th, 2007, 5:58am     #75
feelinlucky
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEARHUGS65
look closer this person did it last weekend too and finally reeled some in....BEWARE people--could not find any mod on last night night...they all showed offline -
Yup! I can't not believe they were back at it again!