Old  April 27th, 2004, 7:50am     #1
Brent
Webmaster

*NEW* Gift Subscription Rules & Guidelines
If you would like to give a subscription to another OLS member (or "sponsor" another member), I would recommend you go about it in one of two ways.

Either give a subscription to another OLS member that you feel is deserving because you are familiar with them personally, or sponsor your own contest or sweep and give it away as a prize.

What I'm not going to allow is people actively soliciting others for subscriptions, for exactly the same reasons we don't allow other forms of personal solicitations. One, there is no way to know who is telling the truth when someone says they can't afford a membership. And two, there is no doubt that there are some people who will take advantage if they think they can get something free out of it.

And I'm not going to start letting people solicit donations for "funds" set up to provide gift subscriptions, for much the same reasons.

The issue isn't about whether or not I think any one individual is trustworthy or not. The issue is it's logistically impossible to try and make that determination every time someone wants to make a solicitation- of any kind. Even if I could try it, there is no doubt that some of our members would end up having their good intentions taken advantage of, and I'm just not going to let that happen.

If you want to pick another member to give a subscription to, I'd suggest choosing a member based on what they add or contribute to OLS. That could mean anything you want. Maybe they submit a lot of sweeps, or maybe they are especially kind or helpful. Rewarding members for the positive things they bring to the OLS community will also encourage more of it.

Or, you could just hold your own contest or sweep here in the forums to give a subscription away as a prize. Doing it this way gives everyone a fair chance to win and you don't have to worry about having to pick one individual person over everyone else.

* As of today (4/27), I do not have the subscription system set up so that you can transfer some of your subscription time directly to another member. So for now, the only way to give a subscription to another member is by making a gift purchase through either PayPal or a check/money order. I will have it set up to transfer subscription time sometime soon I hope. Transfers will have to be done in 3, 6 or 12 month increments, and only subscription time received through past donations will be able to be split-up (3 months here, 6 months there, etc.). At least that's the way it looks right now. If you are looking to transfer some of your current subscription time, you'll have to wait until then.

Brent

Please help your fellow OLS members win! - Referral and Vote Requests ~ Premium Referral and Vote Requests
  Old  April 27th, 2004, 8:14am     #2
hudson9610
Master Sweeper

Very smart move
But I believe you may make some alittle upset
keep up the good work
  Old  April 27th, 2004, 8:29am     #3
caseycupcake
Grand Master Sweeper

Glad you stepped in, Brent. Things were getting a little out of hand.
  Old  April 27th, 2004, 8:38am     #4
antgama
Sweeper

I only have been here a few months but I've got to say ...Brent you really do keep on top of things!You do not shy away from what needs to be said and done.You do a great job on this site.

Carry On
  Old  April 27th, 2004, 11:54am     #5
ginamom
Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by antgama
I only have been here a few months but I've got to say ...Brent you really do keep on top of things!You do not shy away from what needs to be said and done.You do a great job on this site.
I totally agree! Took the words right out of my mouth. (er, fingertips?)
  Old  April 27th, 2004, 12:31pm     #6
lex2100
Master Sweeper

Just for the record.......this is what I've received.
these members all paid via PayPal on 4/24.

Susan L. $2.63
fee .38 = $2.25

Karolyn Y. $30.00
fee $1.17 = $28.83

Linsey K. .74
fee .32 = .42

Yvonne N. $3.00
fee .39 = $2.61

Gail C. $3.50
fee .40 = $3.10

These members got a 3 month membership paid for:

Peggysue
JORDANSGRAM
The Seahorse Lady
SonFlower2002
kimberlym1968
shuliwiffen
dorky*diva
  Old  April 27th, 2004, 6:59pm     #7
ttucker575
Sweeper

good idea Brent...simple and to the point

NO SAUSAGE ON THE CATWALK
  Old  April 27th, 2004, 7:07pm     #8
RainGypsy
Grand Master Sweeper

If you buy one for someone who you arent that familiar with, you might want to do an age-check. I bought one for a gal and when her mom found out she refused to let her daughter (teenage) accept it (understandably!!), so I wasted Current's and Brent's time seeing if I could get the subscription transferred/refunded.
  Old  April 27th, 2004, 7:23pm     #9
sunnydays
Master Sweeper

Location: Where the winters are too cold and I dream of warm sunny days!
Brent, Very well thought out. I think most people are honest, but the sad truth is not everone is.

Thanks for all the work you put into OLS!
  Old  April 27th, 2004, 7:53pm     #10
The Seahorse Lady
Senior Master Sweeper

I am extremely grateful for my gift subscription. This family has helped me so much this past year. No matter how bad I'm feeling, I know that I can always come here and feel better. You have all been a source of strength, courage and inspiration.

Random acts of goodness and kindness is one of the major things that I feel is so great about this place. The love and compassion for complete "strangers" never ceases to amaze me.

As I've stated before, the whole world needs to come here for a few hours and just read some of the posts and perhaps we could have peace in this crazy world.

I will return the favor for someone else in need when as soon as I am able.

Thank you for all who made it happen.

Susan
The Seahorse Lady

My Wins
  Old  April 27th, 2004, 8:25pm     #11
princessJ
Senior Master Sweeper

Well said Brent!

Old  April 27th, 2004, 11:41pm     #12
judyv01510
Master Sweeper

i see no one on this thread needed a membership. (except Sea horse). The people that I have donated to may or may not be "worthy" but if I hit just on worthy person it was worth it. I do agree that some people will take advantage but I for one will not live out the rest of my life not giving because someone may take advantage.
  Old  April 28th, 2004, 3:35am     #13
allie
Senior Master Sweeper

Thank you Brent, good move I think.
  Old  April 28th, 2004, 10:24am     #14
Gomez
Master Sweeper

Brent's decision shows a lot of class. He did what he thought was right even though it will cut down on the money his site makes. Not too many businesses these days who will turn down money based on principle. Keep up the good work!

By the way I am glad he decided to go this way. I was not enjoying what I was seeing at all. Those who wish to be charitable can still help needy folks out by donating to a charity such as the American Cancer Society, UNICEF, March of Dimes, etc.

Wins since Fall 2002: Rogaine binoculars; passes to "Harry Potter 2" preview; Chi-Chi's
Salsa; Life Savers; Bosch spark plug poster; Lance Snacks T-shirt; Amoeba Homegrown
concert tickets; Payday racing mini-helmet, mini-hood and 2 T-shirts; Suave 2in1 shampoo
and hair gel; Matrix PC videogame; $5 eBay GC; Sony music download; $5 BP gas card.
  Old  June 16th, 2004, 3:35pm     #15
jafarhie
Master Sweeper

I really do feel it's a personal judgement call to donate a subscription to someone or not. It's true their is no way to verify anyone's stories unless you live next to them or know them personally. However, I have always felt that if you give something to someone you don't give it wondering if someone is taking advantage of you. If you have that feeling then it's best not to donate at all. That's what I was taught.

Anyways, I think Brent's new rules are reasonable.