Old  July 22nd, 2009, 6:54pm     #1
OKgirl
Grand Master Sweeper

Zoloft and Pregnancy
I had a dr appointment today (a check up to see how baby is measuring and listen to his heart rate). I had to fill out a survey about how I'm feeling lately/emotional health. I guess my answers tipped them off so they had a social worker guy come in and talk to me after my check up. Told him what I'd been going thru lately and that I'm trying my hardest, but I am sad often and I stress some even though I'm really trying to be strong for baby. (I'm not suicidal. And I'd never harm the baby. So that's not an issue at all. Just depressed, sad, stressed, etc)

He asked how I felt about anti-depressents, I said I had no problem with them, and that I had started to take Zoloft shortly before becoming pregnant, but stopped taking them once I found out I was expecting. My doctor prescribed me some more so I can start taking them again...only after I asked her if it was okay being pregnant and what the risks were. She said it was pretty safe...so I guess I'll start taking them. Or I might wait till after the baby is born, just incase. I can't make up my mind.

On one hand, I don't want to take it if there's any risks at all. On the other hand, if it's supposedly safe and will help me not stress or be sad so much, happy momma = happy baby right? I'm just not sure what to do.

ETA: After googling "Zoloft and Pregnancy" I'm leaning towards NOT taking it until after the baby is born. I think I'll be okay until then and I don't like what I'm reading about it.

Earn Rewards on SwagBucks! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/OKgirl

Win with me on Winster! http://www.winster.com/refer.jsp?uid=wdpm7aefjvrcp
  Old  July 22nd, 2009, 7:36pm     #2
skpaw
Grand Master Sweeper

http://www.drugs.com/pdr/zoloft.html

Quote:
Special information if you are pregnant or breastfeeding

If you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant, inform your doctor immediately. There have been reports of newborns experiencing complications such as respiratory problems, bluish coloring of the skin, irregular breathing, muscular problems, vomiting, and constant crying after exposure to SSRI antidepressants late in the third trimester. Zoloft should be used during pregnancy only if absolutely necessary.
Zoloft should be taken during pregnancy only if it is clearly needed. It is not known whether Zoloft appears in breast milk. Caution is advised when using Zoloft during breastfeeding.

I avoided all medications while I was pregnant, even things like Tylenol. I did use Tums at the advice of my doctor. Be careful and do your research before you decide to take a heavy duty drug like Zoloft. I would get a second opinion too. Has this drug even gone generic yet? If not then they don't have long term research on the drug and what the effects would be on infants. You posted that your hearing was damaged by your Mother's smoking while she was pregnant, don't you want to avoid pumping drugs into your baby?

Edit: I see you don't want to use the drug now... that is best unless you have completely come apart to the point where you want to harm yourself. They don't know if it is passed in breast milk but other antidepressants have warnings not to use while breastfeeding. That is important too.

Last edited by skpaw; July 22nd, 2009 at 7:38pm. Reason: Original post changed
  Old  July 22nd, 2009, 7:42pm     #3
OKgirl
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by skpaw View Post
http://www.drugs.com/pdr/zoloft.html

I avoided all medications while I was pregnant, even things like Tylenol. I did use Tums at the advice of my doctor. Be careful and do your research before you decide to take a heavy duty drug like Zoloft. I would get a second opinion too. Has this drug even gone generic yet? If not then they don't have long term research on the drug and what the effects would be on infants. You posted that your hearing was damaged by your Mother's smoking while she was pregnant, don't you want to avoid pumping drugs into your baby?
Of course I want to avoid harming my baby. That's why I'm on the fence about it. Like I said, my doctor said Zoloft was the safest anti-depressent on the market. I asked if there were side effects or risks to the baby and she said yes possibly and when I asked what they were, she wasn't specific and made me think she wasn't too concerned about there being any risks. So I said okay I'd like to get back on Zoloft then. Went down to the pharmacy and got my prescription.

Like I said...I googled it a few minutes ago because I was unsure and when I read what I did here: http://depression.emedtv.com/zoloft/...pregnancy.html
I've decided to not take Zoloft until after the baby is born. I'd like help, but it's not worth it at this point.

I'm guessing why my doctor went ahead and prescribed it was...it's a level C drug meaning if the benefits to the mother outweigh the risks to the baby, then they will prescribe it. Yes I'm having a hard time dealing with things in my life right now, but honestly I don't think the risks are worth the benefits at this time. So I'm choosing to not take them yet.

Old  July 22nd, 2009, 7:45pm     #4
psipsina
Senior Master Sweeper

I would let your doctor know about your reservations and maybe seek a second opinion. If you are stressed out there are other chemicals roaming your body that aren't good for the baby either so thats something to keep in mind while weighing the pros and cons. Good luck making a decision and getting through this tough time

Psipsina's Wins!
  Old  July 22nd, 2009, 7:50pm     #5
venus_de_milo
Grand Master Sweeper

I think I'd be surprised if you weren't depressed right now, given your life circumstances, so you definitely don't need to feel bad about that!

IMO if your doctor knows your medical history and prescribed the medication anyway, I would consider it safe to take. Maybe ask if you can split the pills and only take half. Pregnancy is hard enough as it is, if you're feeling depressed it will only be more difficult.

http://www.obfocus.com/reference/For...Sertraline.htm
  Old  July 22nd, 2009, 7:55pm     #6
skpaw
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKgirl View Post
Of course I want to avoid harming my baby. That's why I'm on the fence about it. Like I said, my doctor said Zoloft was the safest anti-depressent on the market. I asked if there were side effects or risks to the baby and she said yes possibly and when I asked what they were, she wasn't specific and made me think she wasn't too concerned about there being any risks. So I said okay I'd like to get back on Zoloft then. Went down to the pharmacy and got my prescription.
I wrote that before you edited your post. Some people take the doctor's word when they say "some women take this during pregnancy" but they don't volunteer the side effects on the baby. Your doctor did not tell you too much about the side effects from what you wrote. Some women take the drugs and think that no doctor would ever prescribe something harmful. In fact, all drugs have side effects and each one needs to be considered carefully and weighed pros and cons. The concerns double when the patient is pregnant.

I am glad you are doing research. Maybe there are people who need to use this when pregnant. They should get all the facts though. I was not trying to bash you, only expressing concerns about taking this now. I still think a second opinion might be a good idea to see what your options are. There might be things that are not drugs that could help. Exercise, light therapy, meditation etc. I don't know what they would suggest, but it can't hurt to ask.
  Old  July 22nd, 2009, 8:00pm     #7
OKgirl
Grand Master Sweeper

Sorry skpaw. Didn't mean to offend you.

Old  July 22nd, 2009, 8:03pm     #8
skpaw
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus_de_milo View Post
I think I'd be surprised if you weren't depressed right now, given your life circumstances, so you definitely don't need to feel bad about that!

IMO if your doctor knows your medical history and prescribed the medication anyway, I would consider it safe to take. Maybe ask if you can split the pills and only take half. Pregnancy is hard enough as it is, if you're feeling depressed it will only be more difficult.

http://www.obfocus.com/reference/For...Sertraline.htm
These were very small studies on 147 women. They do say it is present in breast milk and that the babies are more likely to need to go to special care nursery such as NICU.

While they did not find birth defects, they did find that it affects the infants who are exposed. Again, just do your research from all possible sources.
  Old  July 22nd, 2009, 8:05pm     #9
skpaw
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKgirl View Post
Sorry skpaw. Didn't mean to offend you.
Same to you. I did not feel your doctor gave you complete information. I still hope you can get some other type of help, or at least get assured if going on the medication is the right thing for YOU. It is true that the doctor's advice is very important. That is where the second opinion (and maybe 3rd) come in. I don't know how long till the baby comes either. Every week of exposure could mean different things. Maybe it is safe for a short time, maybe not.

Take care of yourself.
  Old  July 22nd, 2009, 8:17pm     #10
Kaelia7
Master Sweeper

I did a little research on the effect of third trimester Zoloft exposure. The good news is that they studied infants 2-8 months and children 4-5 years of age and compared those whose mothers took Zoloft or a similar antidepressant to those who did not and found no neurological differences between them.

However just like some adults get withdrawal symptoms when they go off these medications it appears some babies when born do as well. However a majority of babies do not show any withdrawal symptoms. The symptoms can include muscle tightness, respiratory distress, irritability, jitteriness even convulsions (rarely). I'm sure that sounds really scary, but keep in mind 75% of the babies they studies didn't have any withdrawal symptoms and for those that did the symptom(s) were usually really mild and went away within 2 weeks. Plus even about 10% of babies whose mothers weren't on an antidepressant showed withdrawal symptom(s).

Usually a doctor will only prescribe Zoloft if they feel the benefits of the medication outweigh the risks. There are risks to the baby if you are depressed as well and these medications take about 4-6 weeks before they fully work. After you deliver and your hormones shift, your depression could get worse postpartum so they may be concerned about this as well.

i hope I'm not scaring you, but the important thing is that these symptoms are mild and temporary and doesn't happen to every baby or even most babies. I think the risks to the baby are mild compared to the risks towards your mental health and your son deserves a mom who isn't sad all the time. I'm not sure if you can count on your husband so your son needs you to be as mentally healthy as you can be in my opinion.

If you are still worried, please talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
  Old  July 22nd, 2009, 10:48pm     #11
Mutchkin21
Master Sweeper

Alot of the doctors there won't discuss the pros and cons (side effects). That is my personal judgement and also a few judgments from a few of my neighbors who had their babies (one just recent) on post.

When I filled that out and got the counseling on it, I was told they do a big process of finding whether it is situational depression or chemical depression. If it is chemical, they said they will do anti depressiants etc. If it is situational, they would recommend forms of counseling etc. I declined that process as I know mine is situational. I also was told by the last doctor I seen there that Zoloft during pregnancy is not recommended. When I asked for more information as I thought taken something could help me through it, she insisted I talk to the pharmacy about that.

Did you talk to the pharmacy? Usually they will ask if you ever taken it and ask if you have any questions. They might be able to let you know some things.

However, doing your research and seeking another opinion can help. Each doctor can have a different view point and medical back ground for more insight. Do insist on being told the pros and cons directly. Your doctor not discussing it has me to believe that she didn't know herself.

Always kiss your children goodnight - even if they're already asleep. ~H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
  Old  July 22nd, 2009, 10:56pm     #12
MrsM
Grand Master Sweeper

I took antidepressants while pregnant - everything was fine. He told me it was worse for the baby to stop taking it, instead of taking it. So I listened and the baby was fine. But it's really up to you and what you're comfortable with.
  Old  July 22nd, 2009, 10:58pm     #13
OKgirl
Grand Master Sweeper

I believe my depression is situational AND chemical. I have social anxiety and depression which I want treatment for, plus I'm going thru a lot mentally due to the divorce situation. I wish I could start the Zoloft again because it takes at least 4-6 weeks to notice a change, and I want to feel better already, however I think it's best to put the meds off until after the baby is born and after I'm done breastfeeding. I'm hoping the stress I'm under doesn't affect the baby much and I'm trying not to let it..I don't have much longer to go till the baby is born anyway so unless my mental health gets a lot worse...I just don't want to take the chance.

The social worker did give me a support group information and asked if I was in counseling (which I'm not...well I am going to see the marriage counselor tomorrow that my husband and I were seeing but my husband decided to not go to anymore...the marriage counselor said he'd still like to see me so maybe he can help me thru this by having someone to talk to.)

Old  July 22nd, 2009, 11:01pm     #14
KChele
Master Sweeper

I took Zoloft during pregnancy and had no problems and neither did my son. I wouldn't encourage anyone to take Zoloft though. I'm not an opponent of antidepressants at all, but Zoloft has some horrible side effects. I went through hell when I was on it and I won't ever take it again.
  Old  July 22nd, 2009, 11:06pm     #15
OKgirl
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KChele View Post
I took Zoloft during pregnancy and had no problems and neither did my son. I wouldn't encourage anyone to take Zoloft though. I'm not an opponent of antidepressants at all, but Zoloft has some horrible side effects. I went through hell when I was on it and I won't ever take it again.
What side effects did you experience?

I was only on Zoloft a very short period of time (maybe 3-4 weeks?) when I found out I was pregnant so I stopped taking them. So it didn't have time to kick in and I didn't notice any change...although I think I was a bit more drowsy than usual. I really hope when I do start taking it, that I don't have bad side effects and that it helps me. It was hard enough to tell people I had this problem and ask for help for it.