Rhozalea
Grand Master Sweeper

After the shutdown of so many cities, this list will get so much longer

I cried because I had no shoes. Then I met a man who had no feet

Persian Proverb
  Old  May 20th, 2020, 9:49am     #93
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Penny's just blew me away .. I know they were talking about it over a year ago.. but it's the only place left where I buy my clothes..

I absolutely HATE online shopping for clothes and shoes... I want to know the fit.. see if pockets in jeans are crap or REAL pockets... I've tried buying both jeans and sneaks online with poor results in the past.

Lights went dark.... ..... ......
  Old  May 20th, 2020, 10:45am     #94
dixie
Senior Sweeper

They keep saying here that Penney's is opening back up. I keep checking.
  Old  May 20th, 2020, 11:27am     #95
chancebunny
Grand Master Sweeper

The Penney's in the mall here is scheduled to open back up in a few days.

Our task must be to free ourselves...by widening our circle of compassion
to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty.

Albert Einstein
  Old  May 20th, 2020, 1:38pm     #96
pyler
Senior Sweeper

What concerns me, is that small businesses have been closed while Walmart and Target and all of the big box stores have been able to stay open. I think this created a false sense that big box stores are safe and the small independent businesses are not. The small businesses seem to be very strict while the big box stores don't care if the employees or the customers wear a mask. I am afraid we are going to see so many family businesses fail, please support them when you can
  Old  May 20th, 2020, 3:33pm     #97
Snowpuff
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancebunny View Post
The Penney's in the mall here is scheduled to open back up in a few days.
On the TV news this morning, they announced that Penny's has filed bankruptcy.

Interesting that yours is opening back up, since they've all been closed for a year or more around here.

I've been wondering about the sites that offer a prize of a Penny's gift card/certificate.

I wonder what will happen to Penny's now.

Last edited by Snowpuff; May 20th, 2020 at 7:16pm.
  Old  May 20th, 2020, 5:11pm     #98
d7dot
Gone Camping

Golden Parachutes to the executives on the way out of course.

What would you do if you ran a once-prominent retailer thatís steadily declined over the years due to mismanagement and bad decisions catapulting it toward bankruptcy? Evidently, if youíre in charge of J.C. Penney, the answer is simple: provide millions of dollars to executives right before the company files for bankruptcy protection.

In a regulatory filing, it was disclosed that J.C. Penny CEO Jill Soltau received a $4.5 million bonus. Three top executives, including the chief financial officer Bill Wafford, chief merchant officer Michelle Wlazlo and chief human resources officer Brynn Evanson each received a $1 million payout.
  Old  May 20th, 2020, 9:52pm     #99
Sunnybrook
Senior Sweeper

I had thought that even before the virus, that there were just to many stores in this world , just to darn many. I just do not think that it evens out, seems like it is that we have more stores than people can shop at. Basically there is a pharmacy, Hair Salon, nail salon, clothing store, bank, etc. on every corner. I am sorry to see some stores shut down but some should have long ago, when I went into JCPenny, there would be so few people there, and I love to shop there. I just think so stores that have been in trouble of a long time have taken this crises the opportunity to just go ahead and shut down.

Sunnybrook
  Old  May 21st, 2020, 10:24am     #100
DoveBran
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyler View Post
What concerns me, is that small businesses have been closed while Walmart and Target and all of the big box stores have been able to stay open. I think this created a false sense that big box stores are safe and the small independent businesses are not. The small businesses seem to be very strict while the big box stores don't care if the employees or the customers wear a mask. I am afraid we are going to see so many family businesses fail, please support them when you can

Agree completely, I know my daughter's business is almost obsolete. She is a photographer and it seems since the virus scare nobody wants to use a photographer for their wedding or anything else.

KellieLor
WINS:
MYWins
  Old  May 21st, 2020, 10:56am     #101
plazamama
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoveBran View Post
Agree completely, I know my daughter's business is almost obsolete. She is a photographer and it seems since the virus scare nobody wants to use a photographer for their wedding or anything else.
Sorry to hear that

"All You Need Is Love"

Lennon-McCartney
  Old  May 23rd, 2020, 11:51am     #102
Skipper
Master Sweeper

Many state Governors will not rest until no businesses or jobs remain. Feeling safer now?
  Old  May 23rd, 2020, 12:38pm     #103
JoniHaynes
Founding Member

Unhappy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
Many state Governors will not rest until no businesses or jobs remain. Feeling safer now?

Unfortunately, you are totally right!

Joni
  Old  May 23rd, 2020, 2:01pm     #104
Snowpuff
Master Sweeper

Gosh
They just announced that 112 year old Neiman Marcus has filed bankruptcy. And yesterday they announced J.Crew filed bankruptcy.

The list keeps growing.
  Old  May 23rd, 2020, 2:16pm     #105
Peachesncream887
Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyler View Post
Though it is concerning that a lot will close their doors for good, the governors did not close them just because they are small. You could just only stay open if you sell necessities. Walmart and Target sell food so they stayed open. Macy's , JCPenney and the like did not sell necessities so they had to close. A mom and pop convenience store was allowed to stay open because they sell food. So while I agree with you it sucks that lots of places will not re-open it is not like big box non-essential stores stayed open and all family owned had to close. Thats not how it worked.