Old  May 16th, 2019, 11:35am     #46
baroness-1
Master Sweeper

my theory is online sales.

Why you ask

I would go to the website to see if they have what I need

If I found it on the website I would go to the store and lo and behold they didnt have it

They only had more expensive items.

They told me to go to another store about 20 miles away and perhaps they would have it.

After dealing with this many times, I gave up going to brick and mortar stores and ordered online.

I do this exclusively now except for groceries.
  Old  May 16th, 2019, 12:20pm     #47
gypsylover
Senior Master Sweeper

Now if we could just get cities and towns to make use of all these abandoned or closed down physical retail stores and malls instead of just leaving them empty, that would be something.
For instance, rezoning some of them and redeveloping them into affordable housing units comes to mind.

Here on Cape Cod they've closed down a lot of the old motels and some schools and are repurposing them by renovating and rebuilding them into much needed apartments for folks, as housing here is extremely hard to come by and rents are WAY too high for the average person to afford.
  Old  May 16th, 2019, 12:21pm     #48
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

I prefer clothing / shoes at a physical store.. Unfortunately, there are few stores left in the big city.. Macy's closed.. JC Penny's I believe is up in the air.. Sears is gone...

Lights went dark.... ..... ......
  Old  May 16th, 2019, 6:59pm     #49
ISLABONITA
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by minbari View Post
So much winning!

Winning???? or Whining??? HUGE Difference.

Small town here has 2 shopping centers that are mostly vacant as well as some downtown stores

I will miss B B & B if they leave..

While playing for Shop Your Way points all KMarts and Sears are gone for at least 100 miles so most of the wins I redeem online

Crumpet & Cali DIP missing you
  Old  May 16th, 2019, 9:52pm     #50
ThinLizzy
Grand Master Sweeper

Another concern with all the brick and mortar stores closing, for me anyway, is all the cardboard boxes used with online shipping. As the online shopping trend continues, and it will exponentially without a doubt, there aren't gonna be any trees left unless this country starts doing a much better job recycling.

"Hall of Fame wins and Major Upgrades
come to those who wait."

Old  May 17th, 2019, 2:30am     #51
Rhozalea
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinLizzy View Post
Another concern with all the brick and mortar stores closing, for me anyway, is all the cardboard boxes used with online shipping. As the online shopping trend continues, and it will exponentially without a doubt, there aren't gonna be any trees left unless this country starts doing a much better job recycling.
Exactly
And all the fillers, whatever is used nowadays. Is it styrofoam
Or bubble wrap etc stores
use boxes too but I believe are
More likely to recycle than private
Homes

I cried because I had no shoes. Then I met a man who had no feet

Persian Proverb
  Old  May 17th, 2019, 3:13pm     #52
sallykay
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinLizzy View Post
Trees are a renewable resource. We burn lots of boxes in our fireplace. I also re-use many of them.

I do love to go shopping, tho not in our little town, as we have not much. I have to either wait for the big cities, or order online, which I often do.

When we're free to love anyone we choose
When this world's big enough for all different views
When we all can worship from our own kind of pew
Then we shall be free; We shall be free -- GARTH BROOKS
  Old  May 17th, 2019, 8:02pm     #53
carcon
Senior Master Sweeper

I shop a lot online, live in a rural area where there are few stores but I always take the cardboard boxes to the recycling center. They just opened a Dollar General about 4 blocks from me and it's a God send. Now I don't have to driver 35 to 40 minutes to Walmart on the other side of the nearest town just for small items like milk and bread.
I think that poor customer service has as much to do with brick and mortar stores closing as Amazon does. Try and find a clerk to help you in any regular store these days or one who knows where the merchandise is located. Long lines at the central check out and I have a bad back and replaced knees and cannot stand for prolonged periods. That is another reason I shop online. Plus I can find what I want almost immediately on line and don't have to do any walking or standing, it's delivered right to my front door.

You've got to to prime the pump, you've got to have faith and believe
You've got to give of yourself before your worthy to receive!
  Old  May 17th, 2019, 8:22pm     #54
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhozalea View Post
Exactly
And all the fillers, whatever is used nowadays. Is it styrofoam
Or bubble wrap etc stores
use boxes too but I believe are
More likely to recycle than private
Homes
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallykay View Post
Trees are a renewable resource. We burn lots of boxes in our fireplace. I also re-use many of them.

I do love to go shopping, tho not in our little town, as we have not much. I have to either wait for the big cities, or order online, which I often do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcon View Post
I shop a lot online, live in a rural area where there are few stores but I always take the cardboard boxes to the recycling center. They just opened a Dollar General about 4 blocks from me and it's a God send. Now I don't have to driver 35 to 40 minutes to Walmart on the other side of the nearest town just for small items like milk and bread.
I think that poor customer service has as much to do with brick and mortar stores closing as Amazon does. Try and find a clerk to help you in any regular store these days or one who knows where the merchandise is located. Long lines at the central check out and I have a bad back and replaced knees and cannot stand for prolonged periods. That is another reason I shop online. Plus I can find what I want almost immediately on line and don't have to do any walking or standing, it's delivered right to my front door.

This, this and that...

Rural also.. but still would rather go to a physical store.. but get frustrated with the store not having much available, being out of stock, or plain not carrying what I need. It's so bad I have to order peanut butter and other "staples" because our Walmart doesn't have it in stock.. and it has to be shipped from another Walmart to ours in a box.

I re-use boxes.. either for gifts, ebay, target backdrops, packing broken glass to put in the trash, and some day I want to get a shredder and put the rest into the ground.

Packing material I re-use also for packing..

I agree.. trees are a renewable source.. we use them for heat ... either what we want to cut to clear an area, or storm damaged trees that are broken or uprooted.. or just plain dead trees.. we have a lot breaking because of the pileated woodpeckers cutting huge holes in them .. yes, they are going after the ants inside, but their hole cutting escalates the destruction.. this is giving us even more firewood! And we have a lot of young trees coming up. People would not pay for the type of wood we use to heat with... ant damaged, soft wood, punky.. but it burns..

Old  May 17th, 2019, 8:43pm     #55
SweepingBeauty
Grand Master Sweeper

we're losing a local dept store and a hardware store, high prices and selection not for me.

We lost an Arrons rental too, but would never use them for business.

Fighting Thyroid Cancer http://forums.online-sweepstakes.com....php?t=1248254
  Old  May 18th, 2019, 1:55pm     #56
reezz
Junior Sweeper

Yes, I was very surprised to see my local Party City closing...and they recently moved a few blocks up to a bigger space.
  Old  May 29th, 2019, 7:29am     #57
nilpala
Junior Sweeper

Our town is the same way. Just block after block of huge empty buildings. We have two malls which I call 'old mall' and 'older mall'. The older mall they use for all social services like United Way, Veteran's office, Girl Scouts, etc. The old mall now has two empty dept. stores. Because I'm disabled and I live where it snows six months out of the year, I also to most of my shopping online. I think we'll eventually get to a point where there's not even actual stores, Just a drive up window to pick up purchases you've placed online.
  Old  June 24th, 2019, 12:01am     #58
Rhozalea
Grand Master Sweeper

Good bye Dress Barn

Gap

Pier One CVS & Jarod closing many locations

Adding

Kohls, Victoria's Secret

Office Depot, Office Max closing 30 stores this year

Last edited by Rhozalea; June 24th, 2019 at 2:37pm. Reason: More........this bites Bigtime

I cried because I had no shoes. Then I met a man who had no feet

Persian Proverb
  Old  June 24th, 2019, 9:07am     #59
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhozalea View Post
Good bye Dress Barn

Gap

Pier One CVS & Jarod closing many locations

Sucks.. I'm not an online shopper for many things.

Old  June 24th, 2019, 12:46pm     #60
diddy18
Master Sweeper

Unhappy
We lost Shopko and our Save a lot store this week.