Old  July 23rd, 2019, 12:33pm     #316
chestnutfall
Grand Master Sweeper

Gam we've used a recipe from "Food in Jars" for tomato jam...they have several. simple , tasty and you add dried pepper the kind my family puts on pizza at Costco

and another way to preserve cherries is this recipe: http://www.freshpreservinguk.co.uk/r...aroon-conserve
though we didn't use liquid pectin (never do) it's an interesting treat! We don't use it on toast but over ice cream or in a layer cake... We cut back on sugar when we make the fruit jams...

I am hoping this year dh will make spiced pear jam!, this fall.

He has yet to make marmalade or chutneys ...I keep thinking of orange and coriander

We have to find something to do with rhubarb., other than freezing or strawberry -rhubarb jam.

I have two eggplants this year...not sure how we'll fix these usually eggplant rounds baked, then broiled...

Love your blog.
  Old  July 23rd, 2019, 12:37pm     #317
Glam
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas11563 View Post

Bourbon Soaked Cherries Recipe

OMG, I am drooling... chocolate covered bourbon cherries, I will have to try this. Not a cherry fan - but covered in alcohol and chocolate, sublime.
"Sublime" - awesome!

For anyone who would like instructions, I should have the chocolate dipped bourbon cherry recipe on my website by week's end. I wasn't sure I'd get it in because our summers are hot for chocolate work and we have been in a heatwave (heat index 110+ ). This week we are in the 80s though, so I am making a batch tomorrow, plus cherry chutney.

Last night we had the Bourbon Soaked Cherries and syrup with brownies. I used a skewer to poke little holes in the brownies and spooned the syrup over them and let it soak in for a bit, then topped them with the cherries and a poof of fresh whipped cream.

Talking about this with you all makes me miss our cherry tree even more. It has been gone for years, but maybe I should re-think our garden layout and plant another.

Sax Zaza ~ #TeamTopKnot ~ Polo!
  Old  July 23rd, 2019, 12:43pm     #318
chestnutfall
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glam View Post
"Sublime" - awesome!

For anyone who would like instructions, I should have the chocolate dipped bourbon cherry recipe on my website by week's end. I wasn't sure I'd get it in because our summers are hot for chocolate work and we have been in a heatwave (heat index 110+ ). This week we are in the 80s though, so I am making a batch tomorrow, plus cherry chutney.

Last night we had the Bourbon Soaked Cherries and syrup with brownies. I used a skewer to poke little holes in the brownies and spooned the syrup over them and let it soak in for a bit, then topped them with the cherries and a poof of fresh whipped cream.

Talking about this with you all makes me miss our cherry tree even more. It has been gone for years, but maybe I should re-think our garden layout and plant another.
Those brownies must have been so delish!

Do you ever glance at William Sonoma blog and their food instagram? buttermilkbysam on instagram?
  Old  July 23rd, 2019, 1:01pm     #319
Glam
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chestnutfall View Post
Gam we've used a recipe from "Food in Jars" for tomato jam...they have several. simple , tasty and you add dried pepper the kind my family puts on pizza at Costco

and another way to preserve cherries is this recipe: http://www.freshpreservinguk.co.uk/r...aroon-conserve
though we didn't use liquid pectin (never do) it's an interesting treat! We don't use it on toast but over ice cream or in a layer cake... We cut back on sugar when we make the fruit jams...

I am hoping this year dh will make spiced pear jam!, this fall.

He has yet to make marmalade or chutneys ...I keep thinking of orange and coriander

We have to find something to do with rhubarb., other than freezing or strawberry -rhubarb jam.

I have two eggplants this year...not sure how we'll fix these usually eggplant rounds baked, then broiled...

Love your blog.
Thank you!

And from your previous post, 400 sunflowers! That must have looked AMAZING.

I have a cherry chutney recipe going up on my website this week. Rhubarb also makes nice chutney (and I always make quince chutney in the Fall).

Rhubarb makes a delicious BBQ sauce, too.

I like to grill eggplant and serve it with grated cheese, olive oil, fresh sliced or roasted tomatoes on the side, olives, capers, etc.
We like it layered into Caprese salad, too, especially Burrata Caprese.

If you think you would like eggplant dip/spread try this Eggplant Dip with Yogurt, Walnuts and Mint. You can omit the yogurt or sub with something else if you like.

Also, Eggplant "Meatballs" - just cook the eggplant and chop it up and then it's pretty much just like making regular meatballs.
And, Eggplant Rollatini, which is kind of like making bracciole but with thinly sliced eggplant instead of meat.

Old  July 23rd, 2019, 6:42pm     #320
Glam
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chestnutfall View Post
Those brownies must have been so delish!

Do you ever glance at William Sonoma blog and their food instagram? buttermilkbysam on instagram?
Thank you! They were delish!

I almost never look at other food websites because it's my job to develop my own recipes. Most of what I make evolved from growing up in a family that cooked everything from scratch, and then later working in restaurants and selling my own food at farmer's markets.

Of course I see food on Instagram, but unless it's something new to me - like a while back I was intrigued by Japanese Souffle Pancakes - I don't investigate.

I DO research and study though (ingredients, flavor profiles, techniques, basics), I take classes (mostly bread and pastry), and I live in an area known for destination shopping for chefs and and foodies so I am constantly learning.

Old  July 23rd, 2019, 7:58pm     #321
chestnutfall
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Thank you!

And from your previous post, 400 sunflowers! That must have looked AMAZING.

I have a cherry chutney recipe going up on my website this week. Rhubarb also makes nice chutney (and I always make quince chutney in the Fall).

Rhubarb makes a delicious BBQ sauce, too.

I like to grill eggplant and serve it with grated cheese, olive oil, fresh sliced or roasted tomatoes on the side, olives, capers, etc.
We like it layered into Caprese salad, too, especially Burrata Caprese.

If you think you would like eggplant dip/spread try this Eggplant Dip with Yogurt, Walnuts and Mint. You can omit the yogurt or sub with something else if you like.

Also, Eggplant "Meatballs" - just cook the eggplant and chop it up and then it's pretty much just like making regular meatballs.
And, Eggplant Rollatini, which is kind of like making bracciole but with thinly sliced eggplant instead of meat.
Your welcome. Thank you for the suggestions!
  Old  July 23rd, 2019, 7:59pm     #322
chestnutfall
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Thank you! They were delish!

I almost never look at other food websites because it's my job to develop my own recipes. Most of what I make evolved from growing up in a family that cooked everything from scratch, and then later working in restaurants and selling my own food at farmer's markets.

Of course I see food on Instagram, but unless it's something new to me - like a while back I was intrigued by Japanese Souffle Pancakes - I don't investigate.

I DO research and study though (ingredients, flavor profiles, techniques, basics), I take classes (mostly bread and pastry), and I live in an area known for destination shopping for chefs and and foodies so I am constantly learning.
Interesting...
  Old  October 5th, 2019, 9:41pm     #323
chestnutfall
Grand Master Sweeper

100+ articles from Planting to Harvest!

https://commonsensehome.com/gardening/
  Old  October 7th, 2019, 3:21am     #324
QBookie
Master Sweeper

Thank you for keeping this thread alive.

Honey, ain't nothing ever gonna be like it ever was before.