Grand Master Sweeper
Administrator
Queen Peep

Cancer Support Thread
For the survivors, co-survivors, friends and family of those battling cancer
  Old  January 6th, 2010, 6:34pm     #2
Lvrofbooks
Master Sweeper

More bad news. DH went back to the doctor today for another scan. The tumor has grown again & there was blood pooling. Apparently he's been doing too much. She drained his head & would like him to take time off, but we can't afford it. It's good that he sits most of the day, at least. We also found out that the government has stopped the funding for his grant. So, the grant money is running out & once it's gone, that's it. She wants him to eat a lot of shrimp (which we can't afford) in place of taking the meds he needs, since the meds are so expensive. I feel so helpless.

“Human beings, like plants, grow in the soil of acceptance, not in the atmosphere of rejection” - John Powell
  Old  January 7th, 2010, 1:48am     #3
ksmith47
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvrofbooks View Post
More bad news. DH went back to the doctor today for another scan. The tumor has grown again & there was blood pooling. Apparently he's been doing too much. She drained his head & would like him to take time off, but we can't afford it. It's good that he sits most of the day, at least. We also found out that the government has stopped the funding for his grant. So, the grant money is running out & once it's gone, that's it. She wants him to eat a lot of shrimp (which we can't afford) in place of taking the meds he needs, since the meds are so expensive. I feel so helpless.
  Old  January 10th, 2010, 12:30am     #4
irishlass226
Master Sweeper

Its back for third time
I am almost done my first week of chemo for my third battle with breast cancer. My son was so young the first two times and doesn't really remember them. Please pray for strength for me and my family. Its much harder on him now he is 9 and in 4th grade. We finally got a handle on his disability and he has been doing so amazingly well this year, Its just a blow to us all.

I've been really down but that is starting to clear. I have been sick and getting sicker each month since Sept. at least I have an idea why now and am on chemo to try to tame the beast, Just looks like chemo will always be a part of my life but heck I will taking it at my sons HS graduation if that is what it takes.

I know this is a downer post but I really could use prayers and good thoughts.

Kelly
  Old  January 10th, 2010, 1:38am     #5
AlaskanSweeper
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlass226 View Post
I am almost done my first week of chemo for my third battle with breast cancer. My son was so young the first two times and doesn't really remember them. Please pray for strength for me and my family. Its much harder on him now he is 9 and in 4th grade. We finally got a handle on his disability and he has been doing so amazingly well this year, Its just a blow to us all.

I've been really down but that is starting to clear. I have been sick and getting sicker each month since Sept. at least I have an idea why now and am on chemo to try to tame the beast, Just looks like chemo will always be a part of my life but heck I will taking it at my sons HS graduation if that is what it takes.

Kelly
I hope the third time's a charm and the cancer's completely gone after your treatment.
  Old  January 10th, 2010, 7:01pm     #6
Lvrofbooks
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlass226 View Post

Kelly
Kelly,

I'm saying prayers right now for you. I'm so sorry for what you're going through. You are one strong lady.

“Human beings, like plants, grow in the soil of acceptance, not in the atmosphere of rejection” - John Powell
  Old  January 10th, 2010, 9:35pm     #7
Slothcat
Master Sweeper

Irishlass - saying a prayer for a quick recovery from this disease.
  Old  January 15th, 2010, 6:51pm     #8
Lvrofbooks
Master Sweeper

Well, DH got his results of his scan back. The tumor hasn't gotten any bigger, but it's not shrinking, either. There's no blood pooling, so that's good. The bad news is, the insurance didn't cover the scan, so that's $750.00 I have no idea how we're going to pay. There also isn't enough to get him the meds the doctor wants him on. Those are over $300 for a 10-day supply. There are other meds that are covered that he might have to take, but the side effects are horrendous & we're not sure he'll be able to continue working while on them. I guess we're sort of in limbo right now. Damn insurance companies

Old  January 15th, 2010, 8:52pm     #9
secular
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Well, DH got his results of his scan back. The tumor hasn't gotten any bigger, but it's not shrinking, either. There's no blood pooling, so that's good. The bad news is, the insurance didn't cover the scan, so that's $750.00 I have no idea how we're going to pay. There also isn't enough to get him the meds the doctor wants him on. Those are over $300 for a 10-day supply. There are other meds that are covered that he might have to take, but the side effects are horrendous & we're not sure he'll be able to continue working while on them. I guess we're sort of in limbo right now. Damn insurance companies
I am so sorry. Sometimes when it rains it pours. In this case there is a glimpse of a rainbow.
  Old  January 25th, 2010, 2:14am     #10
AlaskanSweeper
Master Sweeper

Quote:
There was an article in the paper about paying for cancer treatment today, and I thought of you. I tried the links and they work. Maybe one of them could help.

CancerCareCopay.org
HealthWellFoundation.org
Copays.org
  Old  January 25th, 2010, 9:07am     #11
Lvrofbooks
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanSweeper View Post
There was an article in the paper about paying for cancer treatment today, and I thought of you. I tried the links and they work. Maybe one of them could help.

CancerCareCopay.org
HealthWellFoundation.org
Copays.org
Thank you

Old  January 25th, 2010, 3:36pm     #12
Jorf
Sweeper

We found out last Thursday my husband has colon cancer. It was a big shock to both us and his doctors as hubby just turned 33. We meet with the surgeon tomorrow and will know if it has spread once they do the surgery. I hope you will pray for us as we could use all the prayers we could get right now.

Old  January 25th, 2010, 4:42pm     #13
grandma44
Senior Master Sweeper

Sending hugs, positive vibes, and prayers to all

Old  January 25th, 2010, 6:42pm     #14
MNPatty
Senior Sweeper

I was dx'd with colon cancer, stage 3B 20 months ago. I had resection surgery, 6 months of chemo- and am currently, one year after finishing chemo, free and clear of the beast!
If I could recommend an online group? It is through the American Cancer Society- they have an assortment of discussion groups, and one for colorectal cancer. It is a fabulous group of people, young old, men, women, cancer survivors and caregivers- we are there to support each other, answer questions and give others hope. It is our little space on the Internet where we share and help each other move through this journey. Come and join us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorf View Post
We found out last Thursday my husband has colon cancer. It was a big shock to both us and his doctors as hubby just turned 33. We meet with the surgeon tomorrow and will know if it has spread once they do the surgery. I hope you will pray for us as we could use all the prayers we could get right now.
  Old  January 25th, 2010, 7:04pm     #15
secular
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorf View Post