Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  Old  June 29th, 2006, 2:19pm     #1
yallgurl is offline
yallgurl
Sweeper

 
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 42
Red face Tell me about the convention
I'm still really new at the whole sweeps thing. But after reading everyone's posts, I'm really interested in going to next year's convention. The only problem is, I can't find an "About" page. Can anyone give me some information for what the convention is about? Like how many people attend, what you do, what's included in your registration, etc.

Any information would help me make the decision about whether to go or not. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  Old  June 29th, 2006, 2:28pm     #2
jofo3511 is offline
jofo3511
Grand Master Sweeper
 
jofo3511's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 21,044
There were $800 registered attendees. We received a daily breakfast & general drawing tickets with the registration. And they gave away alot of cool stuff.

We listen to some speakers but throughout the session they give away prizes. So it's alot of fun. Saturday night we had a banquet and the food was really good. In the vendor rooms you can buy sweep supplies and they also had raffles.

Next to that the most fun was the partying after.

Reply With Quote
  Old  June 29th, 2006, 3:33pm     #3
Dave W. is offline
Dave W.
Master Sweeper
 
Dave W.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,135
Location: Rather be in Disney World....
The convention really is geared toward people who enter via snail mail, or snail and online both.
If you only do online, it might be a little boring for you.
They give away lots (hundreds) of prizes- but many are postage stamps, envelopes, markers, stickers, Staples gift cards, etc.
I love this stuff, but it might be less than exciting for others.

It's a great chance to meet people from all over who do what you do. You don't come away with big sweeping secrets-- it's more social than learning.

You can order a DVD of the event for $29.95 from Jeff at jdcrosno@yahoo.com
I'm not sure if the address is current, but it was last year....
Reply With Quote
  Old  June 29th, 2006, 8:32pm     #4
sweeps aku is offline
sweeps aku
Master Sweeper
 
sweeps aku's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,329
Location: Lost out west
Dave's right about the snail mail part, but the conventions have come a long way towards online info, in just a few years. Moline was the first convention Brent was at & this year one of the speakers talked about OLS & how with OLS & a newsletter he had all the sweeps he could keep up with. A vast improvment over "what's OLS?" a question I heard at the San Diego convention. Online is the way sweeps are going, if you want to keep winning you have to progress with the times. I am not giving up on snail mail but I am adding more online sweeps everyday.

LUCK & LOVE!
Reply With Quote
  Old  June 30th, 2006, 12:42pm     #5
sdadolf is offline
sdadolf
Master Sweeper

 
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,042
Location: San Diego Area (Poway, CA)
At previous conventions when we gave away computer related items (for people who enter online) they were not received well...no one seemed to want these items, so yes most of the prizes were geared towards snail mail sweepers.

However, just in the past couple of years that has changed and computer related prizes are now more prevelent. and wanted. Prizes now include laptops, flat panel monitors, printers, subscriptions to OLS, gift certificates for online stores, etc.

You can be sure that this trend will continue as "everyone" now has a computer, or if you are like me four (4) computers. More computer related prizes are sure to be given away. One of the drawbacks to the computer stuff, is that often it is rather large in physical size, so for many very invonvenient to take home on a plane.

The folks hosting the 2007 convention have asked for suggestions on prizes desired by the attendees. If anyone here has some ideas of prizes geared more towards online sweepers, I stongly suggest you contact them with your ideas.

While I personally spend a lot of time (my wife says too much) entering online, I still do snail mail entries, and win lots of trips that way. When I won 1000 stamps at this past convention it was great for me, even as an online sweeper.
Reply With Quote
  Old  June 30th, 2006, 12:44pm     #6
kbsocial is offline
kbsocial
Grand Master Sweeper
Administrator
Queen Peep
 
kbsocial's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 44,158
Location: HoodWest
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdadolf
At previous conventions when we gave away computer related items (for people who enter online) they were not received well...no one seemed to want these items, so yes most of the prizes were geared towards snail mail sweepers.

However, just in the past couple of years that has changed and computer related prizes are now more prevelent. and wanted. Prizes now include laptops, flat panel monitors, printers, subscriptions to OLS, gift certificates for online stores, etc.

You can be sure that this trend will continue as "everyone" now has a computer, or if you are like me four (4) computers. More computer related prizes are sure to be given away. One of the drawbacks to the computer stuff, is that often it is rather large in physical size, so for many very invonvenient to take home on a plane.

The folks hosting the 2007 convention have asked for suggestions on prizes desired by the attendees. If anyone here has some ideas of prizes geared more towards online sweepers, I stongly suggest you contact them with your ideas.

While I personally spend a lot of time (my wife says too much) entering online, I still do snail mail entries, and win lots of trips that way. When I won 1000 stamps at this past convention it was great for me, even as an online sweeper.

Convention Guru in the HOUSE!!
Reply With Quote
  Old  June 30th, 2006, 1:27pm     #7
sdadolf is offline
sdadolf
Master Sweeper

 
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,042
Location: San Diego Area (Poway, CA)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsocial
Convention Guru in the HOUSE!!
Me???
Reply With Quote
  Old  June 30th, 2006, 1:29pm     #8
kbsocial is offline
kbsocial
Grand Master Sweeper
Administrator
Queen Peep
 
kbsocial's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 44,158
Location: HoodWest
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdadolf
Me???

Yes! You
Reply With Quote
  Old  June 30th, 2006, 1:39pm     #9
Dave W. is offline
Dave W.
Master Sweeper
 
Dave W.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,135
Location: Rather be in Disney World....
Glad to see you posting in here Steve!
I liked your presentation on online sweeping.

If you want to know anything about hosting a sweepstakes convention, Steve (sdadolf) is your man.
He wrote the book on it -- quite literally! ( Well, a booklet, right?)
Reply With Quote
  Old  June 30th, 2006, 1:57pm     #10
kbsocial is offline
kbsocial
Grand Master Sweeper
Administrator
Queen Peep
 
kbsocial's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 44,158
Location: HoodWest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W.
Glad to see you posting in here Steve!
I liked your presentation on online sweeping.

If you want to know anything about hosting a sweepstakes convention, Steve (sdadolf) is your man.
He wrote the book on it -- quite literally! ( Well, a booklet, right?)

I agree - Steve is THE man!!!
Reply With Quote
  Old  June 30th, 2006, 2:01pm     #11
JesterPester is offline
JesterPester
Senior Master Sweeper
 
JesterPester's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,014
Location: SoCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsocial



I agree - Steve is THE man!!!
Reply With Quote
  Old  June 30th, 2006, 2:38pm     #12
sweeps aku is offline
sweeps aku
Master Sweeper
 
sweeps aku's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,329
Location: Lost out west
Steve is the speaker I was mentioning!! Great to see you here!!

Thanks for the OLS plug! I have been around here a few years & love it, but try to limit my forum time. More time for entering that way. As I only have 1 computer!

LUCK & LOVE!
Reply With Quote
  Old  June 30th, 2006, 3:27pm     #13
sdadolf is offline
sdadolf
Master Sweeper

 
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,042
Location: San Diego Area (Poway, CA)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W.
Glad to see you posting in here Steve!
I liked your presentation on online sweeping.

If you want to know anything about hosting a sweepstakes convention, Steve (sdadolf) is your man.
He wrote the book on it -- quite literally! ( Well, a booklet, right?)
The "book" is 30 pages on 8 1/2 x 11 size pages.

It was first published (by me) in January 2003. I am now collecting info for an update/revision to be ready by the end of the year. It will be available to any club or group that wants info on how to host a convention.
Reply With Quote
  Old  June 30th, 2006, 3:31pm     #14
kbsocial is offline
kbsocial
Grand Master Sweeper
Administrator
Queen Peep
 
kbsocial's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 44,158
Location: HoodWest
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdadolf
The "book" is 30 pages on 8 1/2 x 11 size pages.

It was first published (by me) in January 2003. I am now collecting info for an update/revision to be ready by the end of the year. It will be available to any club or group that wants info on how to host a convention.

Brent and I would love to have an updated copy when you are done revising
Reply With Quote
  Old  June 30th, 2006, 3:55pm     #15
JesterPester is offline
JesterPester
Senior Master Sweeper
 
JesterPester's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,014
Location: SoCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdadolf
The "book" is 30 pages on 8 1/2 x 11 size pages.

It was first published (by me) in January 2003. I am now collecting info for an update/revision to be ready by the end of the year. It will be available to any club or group that wants info on how to host a convention.
I would love a copy too. I am thinking we really need a Vegas convention, but with very few in the sweeps group there, I am thinking it's an impossibility. Sure would be fun though!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 4:31pm.