Old  May 28th, 2017, 9:02pm     #16
Ravzie
Grand Master Sweeper

I have not written anything down. There is kind of one big negative for each, so I am trying to decide which negative I should accept. I keep going round and round about what each can do - and then factor in that big negative. The figures are very close and would be about a wash when you add this and that's not included here, etc.

Let's try listing.

a. Pro: Biggest operation, he's a master electrician, has only his employees (no sub contractors), is on the job working every day vs being an owner behind a desk somewhere. I have confidence that he and his team would do a great job.

Con: Has issues with my buying my stuff myself, was a bit of a prig about things, like how he couldn't warranty the stuff I bought, yada yada yada. (A new in the box Kohler faucet would be different if he bought it?) Created a washout down the hill when he cleared the land for the houses he built right down the street from me. The house at the bottom of the hill had a yard that looked like the Mississippi delta. Maybe able to get to me in July, as they are involved in a big 6000 sq ft total remodel on the old Army base. I would be a 'fit in' small job for them.

b. Pro: Has no problem with me doing what I've done. I would have confidence that he would do a good job and hope that who ever he hires will be competent and not steal from my house.

Con: Has 4 employees and admits to using sub contractors. Is not responsive - I had to ask for the estimate, had to ask for the answers to the questions I had, had to ask for everything after waiting and waiting for a reply. Essentially the reason I fired the original choice. Can't give me a rough start time because he's working some big jobs, "sometime in July."

c. Pro: Totally wants his clients to buy their stuff, be completely involved, make the decisions about every little thing so they will be happy with the final product. Great communication skills, had the estimate BOOM the next day as he said he would. He and his partner do all the work themselves, one job at a time. He wants the job. Would be so easy to work with. I cannot find anyone with anything bad to say about him. One reviewer had a job that sounded very similar to mine. He finished it in 17 days. Could start around the end of June.

Con: Is not a Class A contractor like the other 2. He's a Class C - small projects under $10k only. Mine would be over that, so.... he is not worried about doing work above what he is licensed to do??? He cannot pull the permits for me, I would have to do all that myself. He flat out said he hopes clients do not mention permits and therefore, has no problem doing work that is supposed to be permitted and inspected. I have less confidence in his abilities for those reasons.

What should I do????

Old  May 28th, 2017, 9:48pm     #17
chancebunny
Grand Master Sweeper

If I was just going by the pros, #3 seems to be the winner, but the deal about the permits is kind of scary. Wow - you really do have a tough decision to make. I do not see a clear winner at all. I really thought that writing down the pros and cons would be helpful, but it sure doesn't seem so to me. I'm sorry.

Our task must be to free ourselves...by widening our circle of compassion
to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty.

Albert Einstein
  Old  June 14th, 2017, 7:48pm     #18
Ravzie
Grand Master Sweeper

So I have decided to keep looking. I am just not satisfied with any of these choices. I will never have my bathroom at this rate.

Old  June 14th, 2017, 7:58pm     #19
chancebunny
Grand Master Sweeper

I was hoping for some good news by now, and I know that you want that too. It's a shame that this selection is so difficult, due to there not being a stand out contractor yet.

We have this neighborhood group that I recently found out about and joined, called Nextdoor (then whatever subdivision/area name you live in) and I understand it's in other parts of the country - maybe all over. One of the things I've seen posted there is people asking for and getting recommendations for a handyman, contractor, etc. I wonder if you have something like that in your area? It might be a place to get some fresh names. I joined online after getting a note about it in the mail.

Albert Einstein
  Old  June 16th, 2017, 7:37pm     #20
Ravzie
Grand Master Sweeper

I have been going over Angie's List, but I will look for Nextdoor. Thank you for the suggestion.

Old  June 16th, 2017, 9:28pm     #21
chancebunny
Grand Master Sweeper

Do Lowe's and Home Depot have bulletin boards with contractors business cards, or any kind of recommendations? Or have you already tried that?

Albert Einstein
  Old  June 16th, 2017, 9:44pm     #22
nanajoyner
Grand Master Sweeper

checking in to see if you have chosen anyone yet

http://img231.echo.cx/img231/9692/msuniversesig4it.gif
  Old  June 19th, 2017, 11:10am     #23
Ravzie
Grand Master Sweeper

I'm going to start digging in again here in a few minutes.

Old  June 19th, 2017, 11:17am     #24
chancebunny
Grand Master Sweeper

Good luck! Hopefully this round of contractors will produce a winner!

Albert Einstein
  Old  June 19th, 2017, 11:33am     #25
Ravzie
Grand Master Sweeper

So close, so many times.

Obviously, I am a very picky b!tch who will be difficult to work with, so those guys should be glad they dodged a bullet.

Expecting someone to call or email back within a week is a lot to ask, I know, but I just can't help myself with my demanding nature.

Expecting someone to do the job I want without charging me more than twice the normal rate is quite ridiculous, true.

Expecting someone to do the job they are licensed to do within the rules and regulations is really quite unrealistic, of course.

Expecting someone to respect my need to choose the elements of my expensive renovation myself is totally out of the question. I should be happy with the pieces and whatever a contractor gets additional income from selling me, certainly.

I am such a b!tch.

Old  June 19th, 2017, 2:51pm     #26
chancebunny
Grand Master Sweeper

You are a savvy consumer and these contractors either had a poor work ethic or they already had plenty of business so they didn't care about considering a client's wishes and using good business sense.

Albert Einstein
  Old  June 19th, 2017, 8:20pm     #27
Ravzie
Grand Master Sweeper

They do seem busy. Guess I went in the wrong businesses.

Old  June 19th, 2017, 8:56pm     #28
chancebunny
Grand Master Sweeper

Everywhere I go, I see either new construction or renovations, so these guys must really be in demand.

Albert Einstein
  Old  June 22nd, 2017, 12:39am     #29
Ravzie
Grand Master Sweeper

I think I mentioned before that I was considering self contracting the bathroom. I've been reading about it.....

Crazy woman that I am, I may just do it. Why not? I can hire the tradesmen I need to do the big parts, same as any of these other guys. Cut out the middle man. I can do the small stuff myself, as much as I am comfortable doing.

I hire a plumber, an electrician, a carpentry crew, a tile professional - in the right order, of course.

Thinking about the whole bathroom, it seems like a huge job. But taken in pieces, I think it is doable.

I stand to save a bunch of money. If I screw something up, I pay to get it fixed. Would still probably come out ahead.

No doubt it will take longer, but at this rate

I called another company Tuesday morning. The woman said she'd have the guy call me back. Uhhhhh, business day and a half later, uhhhhhh. What is it with these guys???? If my livelihood depended upon random people giving me jobs in their homes, you can bet I'd return my calls - even just to say I will call you back tomorrow when I have my calendar or whatever.

I believe I will speak to my dearest again when he gets home from Canada. He was in favor of the idea when we spoke before, but I need his solemn promise he will not complain constantly once things get underway.

Old  June 22nd, 2017, 8:59am     #30
chancebunny
Grand Master Sweeper

If anybody can do those smaller reno parts of the job, it's you!

You probably already have the names and contact info for some of the tradesmen you will need. It might be a good idea to call them and call any others that you may need, just so you know that they will be willing and available when you need them.

Albert Einstein