Old  January 16th, 2006, 6:39pm     #1
Brent
Webmaster

Brand Spank'in New MySweeps Troubleshooting Guide [posted 1/16/2006]
MySweeps Troubleshooting
For MySweeps to work properly, javascript must be enabled in your web browser and your web browser needs to accept cookies from Online-Sweepstakes.com.

If you are having problems with MySweeps, the most likely problem is something on your computer is preventing the necessary cookies from being set in your web browser.

Web browsers, firewalls, pop-up blockers, security/privacy-related programs and other similar programs including those provided by your ISP (Internet Service Provider) will often block web sites from setting cookies in your browser, many do so by default. You will have to either change the settings so that all web sites are allowed to set cookies, or add online-sweepstakes.com to a specific list of web sites that are allowed to set cookies in your browser.

To specifically allow OLS to set cookies in Internet Explorer, go to Tools > Internet Options... and click on the Privacy tab. Click on the Sites... button and add online-sweepstakes.com to the box that says Address of Web Site: and then click the Allow button. Other browsers and programs that block cookies will have similar settings and options.

Corrupt Files
If you are sure that javascript is enabled in your web browser and your web browser is accepting cookies from Online-Sweepstakes.com, there is a chance that a file cached by your browser may have become corrupted.

Try this:

On the OLS web page with the error or problem, hold down the Ctrl key and then hit the F5 key on your keyboard. If the page didn't reload, make sure the web page has focus (click on the web page somewhere, just not on a link) and try it again.

Excessive Cookie Size
One other possible explanation (though not very likely) for MySweeps problems, is that the OLS cookies in your browser have grown so large, new cookies can no longer be set.

You can view all the cookies in your web browser that were set by OLS by going to the Sweep Options page and clicking on the View Cookies button.

http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/members/options/

The cookies would need to be several thousand characters in length to cause this kind of problem. The only way your OLS cookies can grow to that kind of size is by viewing a very, very large number of threads in the forums in one browsing session (consecutive page views with less than 30 minutes between them while not logging out).

You may also get an error message like the following:

Quote:
Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
Size of a request header field exceeds server limit.
To fix this problem, all you need to do is log-out and then log back in.

When I record or count an entry for a sweep, the date or time is wrong.
The date and time used to record or count your sweep entries comes from your computer's date and time. To fix this problem, all you need to do is correct your computer's date and time.

Do I need to click on the little disk icon each time to save changes to MySweeps?
Unless you have a very old or obscure web browser, you do not need to click on the little disk icon or refresh/reload the page to save your MySweeps changes. Simply going to another web page anywhere in the OLS sweepstakes directory (including MySweeps) will save your changes. You always can save your MySweeps changes by clicking on the little disk icon or refreshing/reloading the page, but why go through all that if all you need to do is move on to the next page?

Shazam! Problems
Pop-up blockers will prevent Shazam! from working properly.
If you click on the Shazam! button and nothing happens or only one or two sweeps open up in new windows, chances are a pop-up blocker is preventing the new windows from opening. Instead of completely disabling any pop-up blocker(s) you may have installed on your computer, add online-sweepstakes.com to your pop-up blocker's "whitelist." This will enable pop-ups from OLS while still blocking pop-ups from other web sites. OLS does not use pop-ups to display advertisements or for any other reason.

To add OLS to Internet Explorer's built-in pop-up blocker, go to Tools > Internet Options > Privacy and click on the Settings... button in the Pop-up Blocker section. Put online-sweepstakes.com in the box underneath where it says <i>Address of Web site to allow</i> and click the Add button. Click the Close button, then the OK button and you're done. Other pop-up blockers should have very similar procedures.

Adjust the number of sweeps that are displayed in MySweeps.
The older your computer is and the less memory (RAM) your computer has available to it will greatly effect how many browser windows your computer will be able to open and display at one time. By default, sweeps on OLS are displayed 15 per page. Using Shazam!, older computers with little memory may not be able to open and display 15 sweeps in 15 different browser windows at the same time without crashing or hanging. However, you can go to the Sweep Options page and change the number of sweeps displayed per page to either 5 or 10. You will continue to see 15 sweeps displayed per page everywhere else on OLS, only the Shazam!-enabled MySweeps pages will be limited to 5 or 10 sweeps per page. Most computers should be able to open and display 5 or 10 windows at a time without any problems using Shazam!.

For more information about Shazam! (a little outdated):
http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/fo..._whatis_shazam

For more information about MySweeps (a little outdated):
http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/fo...q=mysweeps_faq

For additional troubleshooting information:
http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/fo...aq_trouble_101

Please help your fellow OLS members win! - Referral and Vote Requests ~ Premium Referral and Vote Requests
  Old  July 13th, 2006, 4:38am     #2
pilzsap
Sweeper

Shazam Problem
My yahoo tool bar was blocking my shazam. Beware I tried adjusting my Internet options to no avail. When I noticed that evil bar had a explosion showing every time I tried using the shazam button. I removed the program and I am now living happily once again.

P.s. I can't tell you how much I love this site. I really enjoy all my prizes. Including the free trip to Seattle from Fraiser show. Thank you!!