Old  July 17th, 2016, 12:11pm     #91
cgroverla
Master Sweeper

The squirrels are eating every cucumber and tomato. We have very agrressive squirrels in Louisiana. Next year, cages.

However my eggplants have gone crazy and I have picked 86 eggplants so far from 10 plants.

We eat eggplant in one form or another everyday LOL.

Okra and peppers are doing well. I had yellow squash but they died from weedwacker abuse by the lawn guy. Did harvest some they were great and I did freeze a bit for later.
  Old  July 17th, 2016, 12:18pm     #92
Karen_246
Grand Master Sweeper
Senior Moderator/Editor
PITA

Going to do the squash next year.

My lettuce isn't doing well. Not getting the heads on them and I think the drought type weather has done them in. Just going to dig up what is there and toss in the high grass for the deer.

"Once we choose HOPE, EVERYTHING is POSSIBLE" ~ Christopher Reeve
Come check out my blog, please follow if you would like. Looking to get the word out about your company, etsy shop, etc, please give me a shout as I am actively seeking sponsors for reviews and giveaways.
  Old  July 17th, 2016, 4:52pm     #93
caseycupcake
Grand Master Sweeper

I've never had any success with head lettuce. Red sail leaf lettuce seems to grow best for me. Might want to try that Karen
  Old  July 17th, 2016, 7:21pm     #94
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Head lettuce has never worked for me...

Well, we've had two little pieces of broccoli so far... of course so small had to mix with something else.. wanted to cut them because the heat was making them look like they would bloom quickly!

One type of yellow bean plant is growing sparsely... while the other yellow and green are filling in the row. One type of onion has thinned out - don't know what happened to the plants.. while the other two varieties are going strong.

Of course most plants are just starting themselves.. not near "fruiting" yet!

Earn cash back while shopping with ebates - my referral https://www.ebates.com/r/BOMER92
  Old  July 22nd, 2016, 8:51am     #95
caseycupcake
Grand Master Sweeper

First planting of corn went into the freezer last night. Second wave will be ready in a day or two. The ears were really small, but oh so tasty!

Tomatoes are just starting to ripen and the cukes continue to produce.

Used my "spiraler" last night and made zucchini spaghetti. Hubby loved it!
  Old  July 22nd, 2016, 1:46pm     #96
Glam
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen_246 View Post
Going to do the squash next year.

My lettuce isn't doing well. Not getting the heads on them and I think the drought type weather has done them in. Just going to dig up what is there and toss in the high grass for the deer.
Do you like chard, Karen? I find it does well in the mid-Atlantic heat.

Empowered Women Empower Women ~ #TeamTopKnot
  Old  July 22nd, 2016, 2:45pm     #97
Glam
Grand Master Sweeper

We are currently enjoying an abundance of heirloom aubergines in our community garden plot. I'm growing 4 varieties, 3 plants of each: Long Purple, Casper, Lao Green Stripe and Rosa Bianca.

I'm also growing more of the same in our home garden - since it's my first year in the community garden I wasn't sure how they'd do, so I grew some at home for insurance. Now that I'm back to planting eggplant (after a few years off) I can't bear to be without my Rosa Bianacas. I meant to grow more varieties, too - Fairy Tale and a few others - but I got sidetracked and didn't start the seeds. Next season!

The collage shows my "Long Purple" and "Casper" varieties. The Long Purple trio (picked this morning) are nice and shiny in real life, but look a bit dull in the photo. Something is up with my phone (???) and lately all of my photos are a little blurry and/or hazy and/or pixelated. I guess I need to adjust or reset it?

Anyway, we've been harvesting and eating the Long Purple for a week or so. Since it's too hot to cook inside I've been grilling them outside with a touch of olive oil and sea salt, sometimes adding truffle salt, garlic, fresh grated Parmesan, smoked paprika, balsamic, herbs, etc. Today for lunch we're having grilled eggplant Caesar salads; tonight for dinner we're having grilled eggplant Caprese salads with Burrata. I'll make other dishes when it's cool enough to cook in the kitchen.

Old  July 22nd, 2016, 4:06pm     #98
Glam
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgroverla View Post
The squirrels are eating every cucumber and tomato. We have very agrressive squirrels in Louisiana. Next year, cages.

However my eggplants have gone crazy and I have picked 86 eggplants so far from 10 plants.

We eat eggplant in one form or another everyday LOL.

Okra and peppers are doing well. I had yellow squash but they died from weedwacker abuse by the lawn guy. Did harvest some they were great and I did freeze a bit for later.
Awesome eggplant harvest

Old  July 22nd, 2016, 4:09pm     #99
ResourcePress
Grand Master Sweeper

Picked bunches of black eyed susans and queen anne's lace today.
Very hot and humid here, with very little rain. Even my buckwheat is wilting.

Wishing & hoping & thinking & praying, planning & dreaming... and entering!
  Old  July 22nd, 2016, 5:00pm     #100
cgroverla
Master Sweeper

As of today I am up to 106 eggplants, I may stop counting. I am growing long black, long green, and traditional eggplants.

When I was watering the cucumber patch that I have ceded to the squirrels I found a monster cucumber that was too big for the squirrel to carry. So that will likely be my cucumber harvest.

Time to plant some herbs and greens for Fall.
  Old  July 22nd, 2016, 9:41pm     #101
caseycupcake
Grand Master Sweeper

106 egglants? wow, that's a lot
  Old  July 27th, 2016, 5:07pm     #102
Glam
Grand Master Sweeper

Today I left plenty on the vines, gave half of what I did pick away, and still have a full basket of goodies from our garden.

Old  July 27th, 2016, 6:23pm     #103
GTBuzz
Grand Master Sweeper
Princess Yellow Jacket

You guys are doing great. It is so hot here my plants are droopy constantly and if I don't water alot they look like they will die. My beautiful butterfly bushes are dropping leaves from the heat. I am so ready for it to get a bit cooler.

I did finally see my first hummingbird and butterfly.
  Old  August 5th, 2016, 3:15pm     #104
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTBuzz View Post
You guys are doing great. It is so hot here my plants are droopy constantly and if I don't water alot they look like they will die. My beautiful butterfly bushes are dropping leaves from the heat. I am so ready for it to get a bit cooler.

I did finally see my first hummingbird and butterfly.
We've been dry here.. temp is up and down.. but we've learned to set up sprinklers in the garden right from the start... and unless we have constant rain, we sprinkle 3x a week.. and it's the best garden yet! Just way behind because we planted late.

Earn cash back while shopping with ebates - my referral https://www.ebates.com/r/BOMER92
  Old  August 5th, 2016, 3:20pm     #105
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Picking broccoli now and freezing.. squash is small but I picked one to start with... I don't want them to get huge.

Question out to anyone who does cabbage.. Thanks to BIL, we have 20 heads of cabbage growing. They are just getting to the right size now. We cut one today and I'll be doing coleslaw. We'll eat cabbage straight out.. wanted to get corned beef brisket, but of 2 grocery stores here, only one had 4 pkgs @ $5.99 / lb.. so that's out of the picture!

I tried freezing cabbage once and it didn't really taste right after.

I need suggestions. We're going to twist the heads to slow them down.. I want to make cabbage soup but the beans and squash aren't ready yet, so need the cabbage to wait.. and even with the soup, we'll have too much...

Is there a good way to preserve the cabbage? Has anyone froze it and had good luck?