Old  March 3rd, 2018, 9:18pm     #1
deborah62
Grand Master Sweeper

Computer pointer dissapeared
Last night I was on computer and then all of a sudden my mouse pointer dissapeared..and not even able to use touchpad..so can not do anything..have held power button down for 5 seconds,taken battery from computer,changed battery in mouse,went out and got new mouse..still not working..the place that was recommended to me is not open until Monday..really frustrating. I know shortly before that Dell did some kind of update because my DVD drawer opened by itself.Ugggh. so my temp job ended Thursday,computer stops working Friday,what is next lol

What if the hokey pokey is what its all about?
  Old  March 3rd, 2018, 10:05pm     #2
sweepmama
Grand Master Sweeper

Hugs!!

Old  March 4th, 2018, 6:30am     #3
lawman228
Sweeper

mouse problems
try your F1 button. Look for a key that has a picture of your mouse on it. Mine is the F1.
  Old  March 4th, 2018, 1:19pm     #4
deborah62
Grand Master Sweeper

So this guy from nextdoor.com looked at it..he is an IT guy and it is a driver issue but he did not have time to fix it so will have to take it somewhere tomorrow..this is so frustrating as I need it for the little job I do everyday posting ads for apartments for rent.

Old  March 4th, 2018, 2:00pm     #5
Urlik
Master Sweeper

If you have a mouse lying around trying plugging that in for now until you can get your trackpad drivers fixed.

Some other ideas here: https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge...ows-10-solved/

My 2018 Wins
  Old  March 4th, 2018, 6:00pm     #6
deborah62
Grand Master Sweeper

The IT guy plugged in his mouse and it did not work.

Old  March 4th, 2018, 8:28pm     #7
GTBuzz
Grand Master Sweeper
Princess Yellow Jacket

Do you mean the driver needs updating? If so, you need to get to Device Manager to update it.

I don't know what version of Windows you are on. Maybe the easiest is to just type Device Manager in the search box bottom left. If not, maybe go to Control Panel and see if you can get it there.

When you get into Device Manager, scroll until you see "mice and other pointing devices" click the drop down arrow, double click on your mouse (brand).

Now a pop up opens and has different tabs at the top. On the first screen see if it says "device is working properly" it probably is not and may give you a code/reason. If not, click on the second tab that says Drivers and then click on Update Driver.

If that doesn't work you may have to go to the website of the brand of mouse you have and see if this is a known problem or they have something you can download and install. Like if it is logitech, go to their site.

I believe Dell has a diagnostic tool that can check for problems too. Unfortunately, my Dell just died and I cannot access it (my post below) so I can't remember where it is. Maybe Dell.com/support?

I remember I had a PC and my mouse didn't work and I just used the tab buttons to get around...it was a pain lol

Here is an article on how to navigate your PC without a mouse
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/learn-...yboard-screen/

Try this to get to Device Mgr w/o a mouse

To Start Device Manager: Open the "Run" dialog box by pressing and holding the Windows key, then press the R key ("Run"). Type devmgmt.msc.

or...

Quote:
How to open the Device Manager in Windows 8
From the Windows Start Screen, type device manager. Or on the Desktop screen, you can press the Windows key + C key on your keyboard to open the Charms menu.
Click Settings and then click the Device Manager icon. You should see something similar to the example below.
Since you can't "click" maybe tab or arrow down until you open it? It has been so long I can't remember how I did it but it was a lot of tabbing and arrows.

I hope something works. I have empathy, as I know the pain of computer problems having just gone through it with that Dell laptop.

Edit: This guy had to do the same thing he said "alt right arrow" opens drop down alt left arrow closes it
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...al/giKdW3cuqd0

So use the arrows or the alt and arrow keys or the tab and arrow keys to see if you can get in there. Those are my thoughts.

LipSense & SeneGence beauty, OLS members get free shipping. PM for details.
Buzz's Trade List
  Old  March 5th, 2018, 7:59am     #8
deborah62
Grand Master Sweeper

The guy went to the Dell website but there was no updates for drivers so he said they each would need to be found and downloaded..i have 4 unknown drivers so have no clue what to do..calling a local computer place today. The guy could not use the arrows on some things so he did it remotely. Have been without since Friday night..i want my computer lol

Old  March 5th, 2018, 9:15am     #9
Brittles
Master Sweeper

Just an idea as I seem to recall something like this happening to me and all I needed to do was plug the mouse into a different USB port.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
  Old  March 5th, 2018, 9:18am     #10
Brittles
Master Sweeper

Here's a link that might help to. Says you may just need to re-enable the mouse rather then update the driver. https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge...ows-10-solved/

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.