Old  February 23rd, 2018, 8:46pm     #1
GTBuzz
Grand Master Sweeper
Princess Yellow Jacket

Unhappy My laptop is in final stages
My laptop was acting a little screwy, locking up and I even got a blue screen of death. I did a windows update (Windows 10) and it was much better. i thought I was ok. Then 2 days ago it started acting a little funny. Yesterday it was good but locked up on me so I had to do a hard reboot...that is when my nightmare began.

After it came back on I got the dreaded "windows repair" with the "it make take 1 hr or more for this to complete". There is no way out of it so I let it run for hours. It didn't repair anything so it then gets in a loop of it trying to repair. I did research as I don't think you can boot in "safe mode" with 10??

I watched a video and it said you have to do a hard reboot (turn it off/on) 3x then a different screen will come on. So I did, no new screen. I did the ctrl alt esc when it booted, alt f10, f12 and ctrl f10, f12 finally got to a boot menu and let it run diagnostics. Everything passed.

Still it was not allowed to fully boot just back to the "repair". I did searches and this is happening to a lot of ppl even those with new laptops/pcs. Mine is old and I planned on replacing it...but my problem is after all this turning it off/on now I think the hard drive is messed up.

So, if anyone has had a similar problem or knows a good place to get tech advice let me know. I am annoyed with myself as my last backup was in Dec....so worst case scenario I will lose some data, some I can recreate (just time consuming).

Mostly I am just annoyed about the whole thing.

If you have any suggestions on how to get it to bypass this repair thing and actually boot so I can get the last bit of data off of it, I would greatly appreciate it. (Dell Inspiron)

Also, don't be like me. Backup every few weeks (or weekly etc). It is such a pain to have to deal with lost data. You know how you kick yourself for not doing one more backup. Oh well...I have the Lenovo but it is more my lightweight traveling convertible laptop/tablet. It is ok, but not a workhorse.

To add to this, I replaced a light bulb in my microwave and got mildly shocked. It hurt. So....I guess the universe is not happy with me right now. *sigh*

LipSense & SeneGence beauty, OLS members get free shipping. PM for details.
Buzz's Trade List
  Old  February 23rd, 2018, 9:03pm     #2
andee506
Master Sweeper

I have no help for you since I am sooo computer illiterate.I just wanted to say sorry.
  Old  February 23rd, 2018, 9:19pm     #3
bjdotson
Grand Master Sweeper

from Microsoft site:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...c-in-safe-mode

Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

Content provided by Microsoft

Applies to: Windows 10

Safe mode starts Windows in a basic state, using a limited set of files and drivers. It can help you troubleshoot problems on your PC. For example, if the problem doesn't happen in safe mode, you'll know default settings and basic device drivers aren't causing the issue.

There are two versions of safe mode: Safe Mode and Safe Mode with Networking. They're quite similar, but Safe Mode with Networking includes the network drivers and services you'll need to access the Internet and other computers on your network.

The following sections describe how to start your PC in safe mode.

From Settings

1.Press Windows logo key Windows logo key  + I on your keyboard to open Settings. If that doesn't work, select the Start  button in the lower-left corner of your screen, then select Settings .
2.Select Update & security  > Recovery .
3.Under Advanced startup, select Restart now.
4.After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.
5.After your PC restarts, you'll see a list of options. Select 4 or F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode. Or if you'll need to use the Internet, select 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.

From the sign-in screen

1.Restart your PC. When you get to the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key down while you select Power
Power icon

> Restart.
2.After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.
3.After your PC restarts, you'll see a list of options. Select 4 or F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode. Or if you'll need to use the Internet, select 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.

Old  February 27th, 2018, 10:21pm     #4
GTBuzz
Grand Master Sweeper
Princess Yellow Jacket

Thanks for the replies. What I have learned is this repair "loop" problem is happening to a large number of people. The usual things like safe mode and other things don't work like in the past. This repair process (not sure what else to call it) takes priority. It is strange.

To add to this, I was trying to take the hard drive out and back in to see if that would get things going. I open the back (mind you I have never opened the laptop) and the last screw the one holding the keyboard in (so a very important one) was stripped. So it had to be stripped from the factory before it was shipped to me. What are the chances? Of course that drove me crazy trying to get this tiny little stripped screw out. No regular tools would work so I had to very carefully drill it out which I finally did.

Unfortunately, still no luck. The good news is before I did that I had been able to get to command prompt and put those files that were not in the last backup onto a usb drive. So I got 95% of what I needed off of it. I just wasn't able to get a final .pst from outlook. Just means I lost some mail and notes...nothing big. I am very relieved I got all my data.

I am a tad concerned about windows 10 now and how widespread this repair problem is. I had no problem with my laptop then it froze up, did a hard shut down. Did the shutdown steps given to get to a screen (out of the repair loop) and from that point on it was like Windows 10 didn't recognize my hard drive. Yet at command prompt I could see all my files. Weird....so just don't do hard shut offs unless absolutely necessary. It makes windows mad.

So now I need an amazing deal on a laptop....and I am not finding any.

I am not in love with any brand. No to Toshiba as I had the most problems with them. Dell is ok, HP is ok. I had Acer in the past and it was good. Heard good things about Asus. Lenovo is good. Thinking i7, min 8gb ram, would like 1tb with at least 128 gb ssd. Something along those lines. If anyone sees a good deal let me know.

Thanks.

LipSense & SeneGence beauty, OLS members get free shipping. PM for details.
Buzz's Trade List