Old  January 25th, 2018, 2:51am     #1
JeffTheGreat
Master Sweeper

Exclamation How To Find Owner of a Vehicle by License Plate# ?
Is there any legit web site to find the owner of a vehicle by the license plate number? I want to know the owner of a black Dodge Ram Pickup Truck, Wisconsin plate number GC2714. Last night, at work, that vehicle double parked and blocked me in for 3 hours. I called the police but the truck disappeared before the police arrived. The owner of that truck may be a co-worker of mine. So for my own knowledge, and for my police report, I would like to know the truck owner's name.

Old  January 25th, 2018, 8:31am     #2
mcclave
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTheGreat View Post
Is there any legit web site to find the owner of a vehicle by the license plate number? I want to know the owner of a black Dodge Ram Pickup Truck, Wisconsin plate number GC2714. Last night, at work, that vehicle double parked and blocked me in for 3 hours. I called the police but the truck disappeared before the police arrived. The owner of that truck may be a co-worker of mine. So for my own knowledge, and for my police report, I would like to know the truck owner's name.
The cops can look it up right from their car computer or dispatch can look it up for them. It would surprise me and creep me out a little if there were a website that you could get that information.

Try asking around at work or if you have a bulletin board post it there. I think I would have tried that first before I would have called the cops and filed a report. I would have gone in and looked for them.
  Old  January 25th, 2018, 8:55am     #3
Urlik
Master Sweeper

This page shows how to request the information: http://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/dmv/li...t/records.aspx

There is a form MV2896 and page 2 is pretty specific on who is legally allowed to request the information. You may not meet any of the criteria.

My 2018 Wins
  Old  January 25th, 2018, 9:53am     #4
Inkyskeeper
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
just wait til the truck may show up again ? lol and then talk with the guy or woman

Old  January 25th, 2018, 10:55am     #5
JeffTheGreat
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclave View Post

Try asking around at work or if you have a bulletin board post it there. I think I would have tried that first before I would have called the cops and filed a report. I would have gone in and looked for them.
Over 1000 people work in the same building as I do. But I did inform building management prior to calling the police.
Unfortunately, since this was not an emergency, the police did not arrive in time to see the incident.

Old  January 25th, 2018, 12:00pm     #6
JeffTheGreat
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclave View Post
It would surprise me and creep me out a little if there were a website that you could get that information.
There is a website called Search Quarry that will look up a license plate number for a small fee.
But I don't know if that website is safe and legitimate.

Old  January 25th, 2018, 1:51pm     #7
joshm367
Senior Sweeper

No legal way unless you find someone in law enforcement with loose morals. Why would it be legal? Anybody who cuts someone off it traffic they could track them down and burn down their house.

Why do you really need to know? Yes it sucks but if the police wont give you the information there is a good reason. Have them towed if it happens again.
  Old  January 25th, 2018, 2:41pm     #8
cookiegirl123
Senior Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshm367 View Post
No legal way unless you find someone in law enforcement with loose morals. Why would it be legal? Anybody who cuts someone off it traffic they could track them down and burn down their house.

Why do you really need to know? Yes it sucks but if the police wont give you the information there is a good reason. Have them towed if it happens again.
Yep. This. I work in the judicial system and it would be highly illegal to obtain this information. No police officer should ever get this information for a citizen unless they are looking for a way to the front of the unemployment line.
  Old  January 25th, 2018, 2:46pm     #9
implode
Master Sweeper

Set up one of those motion detecting dear cams in the back of your car...muahahha

Hall of Fame Winner of BMW i3!!!
Hall of Fame Winner of a trip to NZ!!!
Hall of Fame Winner of $10,000!!!
Hall of Fame winner of Super Bowl Trip!!!
  Old  January 25th, 2018, 4:12pm     #10
gpadav
Grand Master Sweeper

I'm confused, how come your police dept, never shows up for 3 hours?

wins 2004 2005 2006
  Old  January 25th, 2018, 4:32pm     #11
mesquemai
Master Sweeper

Quote:
I am sorry that this jerk being inconsiderate caused you a problem but...

Your desire to look up the license plate is just wrong. As someone else mentioned could you imagine the freaks who would track people down at their homes or jobs and do lord knows what to them-- people are crazy.

When I was in my teens (living in Chicago) a cop who lived across the street ran my attractive sisters plate. I don't remember how my mom found out but he said he just wanted to know whose car it was. My sister had the car for long time when he did this and she always parked it in front of our building so it wasn't like it was because she was parking it in front of his house. He was a married creeper. My point could you imagine all the creepy guys seeing hot women and tracking them down by their license plates.

Get a camera for your car maybe they sell a motion detector type and just use it at your place of work. Or put a sign saying don't block in my vechicle. Ask HR to send out an email to everyone-- without mentioning you but state another employee was blocked in for 3 hours by a coworker and to make sure you aren't blocking others when you park (yeah I know common sense but some people are idiots).

PS I can't believe you are going to make a police report for this. Annoying yes but he didn't hit your car a police report if it happens on a regular basis maybe but yikes. This is an internal company issue first, you are parking on private property not on the public streets.

Where were you when the car disappeared? Did you leave a note on the vehicle so that at least they knew they were being a nuisance while you tried to call police? Were you working while you were blocked in or did you need to leave and had to sit around waiting for the truck to move?
  Old  January 25th, 2018, 5:20pm     #12
joshm367
Senior Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpadav View Post
I'm confused, how come your police dept, never shows up for 3 hours?
Probably out in actually emergencies. While extremely aggravating to the person, get your car parked in would be very low priority.
  Old  January 25th, 2018, 5:37pm     #13
JACK SPARROW
Master Sweeper

Why not?
just key it or let the air out of the tires.
  Old  January 25th, 2018, 7:49pm     #14
minbari
Senior Master Sweeper

Why not ask building management to check their security camera records? If they don't have security cameras, take JACK SPARROW's advice by keying the car and letting the air out of the tires next time. (Just kidding!)
  Old  January 25th, 2018, 10:39pm     #15
plazamama
Senior Master Sweeper

I understand parking issues.
My town has an ordinance that limits parking in front of residence to 3 hours. If a new neighbor offends, I print out a copy of the ordinance and put it on their windshield. Most people don't know this is an ordinance, and stop doing it right away. My kid calls me The Parking Nazi. (Shades of Seinfeld.)

I feel like it's like stealing, because when you bought the house, you bought the on-street parking place, according to the city.

If someone blocks you in for hours, that's just being obnoxious. If it was blocking you from your own private driveway, you could have it towed.

I don't think it's an insignificant issue at all.

I say do whatever!