Old  February 4th, 2018, 9:04am     #1
thealfa
Senior Sweeper

so ebay dropped paypal...
its replacement is now adyen. First time I've heard of adyen. Has anyone here ever used adyen?

Save extra 20% off on local deals such as oil changes, car repairs, car washes, restaurants, and more!

https://www.groupon.com/visitor_refe...9-ab86f532bd2f
  Old  February 4th, 2018, 9:34am     #2
plazamama
Senior Master Sweeper

Wha? I got some emails about gradually changing to something different and "you don't have to do anything right now. "
I'm not sure, but I thought ebay bought Paypal a long time ago. It was so long ago I can't really remember.
  Old  February 4th, 2018, 10:29am     #3
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Never heard of them until the ebay notice.. apparently they've been around.. Groupon signed on in 2009 They have Uber, Netflix, Etsy, Spotify, Groupon ... plus

They are supposed to be doing this over time.. I don't know when we'll have to make an account. And they promise lower fees. I guess we'll find out.

Earn cash back while shopping with ebates - my referral https://www.ebates.com/r/BOMER92
  Old  February 4th, 2018, 11:14am     #4
roodog2000
Sweeper

"When is eBay transitioning from PayPal to Adyen?

The agreement between eBay and PayPal will officially end in 2020.

eBay will begin the transition in the second half of this year and hopes most of its customers will be using Adyenby 2021, USA today reports.

But shoppers will have an option to use the off-platform PayPal as a payment option until 2023."
  Old  February 5th, 2018, 3:55pm     #5
ronvogel
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazamama View Post
I'm not sure, but I thought ebay bought Paypal a long time ago. It was so long ago I can't really remember.
ebay bought Paypal in 2002 shortly after the Paypal IPO. ebay and Paypal split into two separate companies in July 2015 (people who owned ebay stock got shares of the new Paypal, and still kept their ebay shares). As part of that split, the two companies had agreements keeping Paypal as the main provider of payment services for ebay. Since the split, that has slowly started to change (for example, you used to have to log into Paypal in order to use an ebay gift card, but I've heard that this is no longer the case). As previously stated, that agreement making Paypal the preferred payment option will end in 2020 but Paypal will remain as an available payment platform on ebay through at least some time in 2023.

The Paypal spin on this is that while they negotiated with ebay seeking to extend the agreement, ebay transactions are now a relatively small part of PayPal's overall transactions, and not growing that fast (non-ebay transactions are growing much faster), so it wasn't financially favorable enough to extend the agreement on terms that ebay wanted.