Old  July 6th, 2018, 12:02pm     #1
plazamama
Senior Master Sweeper

24-Hour Fast
I am about 11 hours into a 24 hour fast. Normally I would have had my 2 eggs and 1 piece buttered toast by now.

I slowly gained an extra 20 pounds 2014-2016, just overeating. I can't even zip up my jeans, which is upsetting, because they're designer jeans I won 5 pairs from EXTRA TV.
Well, I did lose 8 lb. by just eating 3 meals, and not snacking. But now I'm stuck.

So I googled fasting this morning, and learned some things. A typical 24-hour fast is recommended for different reasons, weight loss one of them. I can still have coffee and tea without sugar or cream. Or lemon water. that suits me just fine. And lemon water, I don't have any lemons but I do drink water for hydration anyway.

I hope I have the discipline to do it. Couldn't really find any harmful effects, for a person without serious medical issues. One problem is that a lot of sweeps pages have lots of photos of delicious food. lol

Anybody else have any experience with this?
  Old  July 6th, 2018, 12:07pm     #2
donswiff
Sweeper

Weight is not a problem for me--good genes I guess but I know several people that struggle with weight gain. I wish you all the best in your effort at weight loss and a healthier way of life. YOU CAN DO IT!!
  Old  July 6th, 2018, 12:25pm     #3
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

I lost some.. the last 10 pounds is going to be the hardest.. I've done a gradual decline over a few years so I know it won't yo-yo.

My basic thing is I've cut portions back.. I keep thinking how much larger portions are being served now and decided to go back to what I ate when I was younger..

Smaller plate helps.

And no, I haven't stopped eating anything.. I just eat a lot less of it! Sometimes it's difficult because there are some foods I love and can eat a lot of.

I gained 4 pounds on vacation and have lost nearly 3 of them within 2 weeks.. I think I can drop them because they didn't stick too securely yet!

Oh.. normally I drink water .. ( juice and milk in the morning ) and some soda once a week when we eat out or a lemonade.

Earn cash back while shopping with ebates - my referral https://www.ebates.com/r/BOMER92
  Old  July 6th, 2018, 12:47pm     #4
plazamama
Senior Master Sweeper

It's funny what you say about portions getting larger over the years. I read in aGene Weingarten column awhile back that dinner plates have gotten gradually bigger over the years.
I can tell you for sure that is true..

I have 3 different stoneware informal dinnerware sets. One was a gift in the 70's. One was a gift in the 80's. And one was a gift in the 90's. And that's right, Each set of plates, and the bowls, grow significantly larger by decade.
And when is the last time you had a meal in a restaurant and didn't need a doggy bag?

Who is conspiring to make us all fat? And what is the end game?
  Old  July 6th, 2018, 1:00pm     #5
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

I use a dish .. not sure what it is .. it's got a little of a curve like a bowl, but not deep.. this one is for pasta dishes.. I can figure on the right amount to eat.. it's not curved enough to fill, so I just cover the bottom. And have gotten hubby to do the same.

Spaghetti .. I use a container that has holes in it to pull out the "right" portion to cook.. I cook one serving size for BOTH of us .. a little less for me than him.. but it gives him a lot less than in the regular dinner dish! And it's plenty! That, add a salad.. my meatballs are 1 oz each.. so I take one and he takes two. I will also not take bread ( though sometimes I cave into a roll ) ..

I have noticed over time if you eat less, you will soon be satisfied with the smaller portions the same way you were with the larger portions.

Earn cash back while shopping with ebates - my referral https://www.ebates.com/r/BOMER92
  Old  July 6th, 2018, 1:36pm     #6
hkh220
Sweeper

Why not just eat healthy and exercise? There is no easy way to lose weight.My advice to you is eat the right foods and exercise..make a lifestyle change and do not go on a diet!
  Old  July 6th, 2018, 2:28pm     #7
plazamama
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkh220 View Post
Why not just eat healthy and exercise? There is no easy way to lose weight.My advice to you is eat the right foods and exercise..make a lifestyle change and do not go on a diet!
If you read our previous posts, you will see that both bomar and I are doing just that. We both fell into some bad habits and are correcting them.
  Old  July 6th, 2018, 2:49pm     #8
hkh220
Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazamama View Post
If you read our previous posts, you will see that both bomar and I are doing just that. We both fell into some bad habits and are correcting them.
I did read it, fasting to lose weight because you have hit a plateau.
Do you work out at all or you are just eating less?
  Old  July 6th, 2018, 3:09pm     #9
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkh220 View Post
I did read it, fasting to lose weight because you have hit a plateau.
Do you work out at all or you are just eating less?
Working out in what way? A gym?

Many people do not have access, money, or time for that.. working out doing physical labor day in and day out does the trick! Unless you have great genes that don't allow your body to gain weight, then cutting back to smaller portions as they used to be in the past is good. It's ridiculous what people consider a "serving" now.

Every body has it's own pitfalls and there is no one solution fits all out there.

I don't do any fasting unless it's needed for a medical test.

Old  July 6th, 2018, 3:31pm     #10
hkh220
Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomar97 View Post
Working out in what way? A gym?

Many people do not have access, money, or time for that.. working out doing physical labor day in and day out does the trick! Unless you have great genes that don't allow your body to gain weight, then cutting back to smaller portions as they used to be in the past is good. It's ridiculous what people consider a "serving" now.

Every body has it's own pitfalls and there is no one solution fits all out there.

I don't do any fasting unless it's needed for a medical test.
No- working out from home.
  Old  July 6th, 2018, 4:38pm     #11
plazamama
Senior Master Sweeper

I just came here to get some support today. It's none of your business, but I will tell you. I can't do anything strenuous at all, even walk fast. I have damage to my lungs from chemotheraphy.
Enjoy your day.
  Old  July 6th, 2018, 4:59pm     #12
hkh220
Sweeper

Quote:
I just came here to get some support today. It's none of your business, but I will tell you. I can't do anything strenuous at all, even walk fast. I have damage to my lungs from chemotheraphy.
Enjoy your day.
Oh sure, I am not trying to be rude/mean, sorry if that is the tone that you read my replies in.
  Old  July 6th, 2018, 5:13pm     #13
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Enjoy your day.
As I said, everyone has a different situation and things work for one person that don't work for another.

I hope this helps you get a little bit of a head start because sometimes that's all it needs for that weight to go down again when you're stuck!

It's unfortunate that weight is one thing that easily goes up but very stubbornly comes down!

Old  July 6th, 2018, 5:22pm     #14
plazamama
Senior Master Sweeper

Thanks Bomar
I'll find out.
  Old  July 7th, 2018, 10:34am     #15
Sirius_Moonlight
Master Sweeper

I love SparkPeople dot com for help on losing weight. It has motivational articles, you can log your food easily and it has support forums. You might find a group that has more in common with your medical needs.

https://www.sparkpeople.com

I lost 40 pounds, and kept it off, by doing the Body For Life plan. I know you have health limitations, but the one thing that program showed me was you can't delete certain foods from your life. A 24 hour fast might just have you keeping your focus on what you're not eating and in the end you'll end up eating those foods in unhealthy portions.

I read this book called Willpower: Rediscovering the Greatest Human Strength by Baumeister, Roy F., Tierney, John . It is not about weight loss, but about the idea of willpower. It is very interesting and not too much of an academic read. I found it in the library.

It clearly showed me that when you decide to lose weight and say, no more pizza or candy or whatever, you brain starts thinking, "Pizza! Candy!" And that is all you focus on, what you can't have. Which is why Willpower is hard. But this book give strategies to get around that.

It's not about weight loss, but changing how you focus on certain things. It's a great read.

The Lemon Daisy on Etsy