Old  July 2nd, 2018, 11:51pm     #1
JeffTheGreat
Master Sweeper

Question Pricing a 2018 Ford Escape
I am planning to buy a new 2018 Ford Escape. But I really don't know how to negotiate the price. Can I get it for 10% below the sticker price? Maybe 15% below the sticker price? How low should I offer?

Old  July 3rd, 2018, 5:39am     #2
luckylu
Master Sweeper

I usually check used car prices at Edmunds https://www.edmunds.com/used-cars-for-sale/http://

I click on APPRAISE and fill in as many details as I can. Best guess what I don't know. You can also see used Escapes for sell in your area.

HTH

~~~~~ ~~~~ ~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~
UH...ha ya it's all just lucky breaks.
  Old  July 3rd, 2018, 8:05am     #3
judyv01510
Master Sweeper

Try True Car Gives the price people pay for car
  Old  July 3rd, 2018, 9:23am     #4
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Some dealers will give you a decent price while others will over charge.. extra fees are also something to look at... doc fees around here go from $0 to $499 .. so make sure you compare including all fees.

You can usually get a better deal on something that's been sitting on the lot longer.. Also, not sure about the Escape, but I know sometimes mfg. prices change mid-season so an earlier car may have a lower list price for the same features.

Earn cash back while shopping with ebates - my referral https://www.ebates.com/r/BOMER92
  Old  July 3rd, 2018, 9:59am     #5
jas11563
Master Sweeper

Aren't the 2019s out or about to be released?

2018 is last year's model. So it should have a nice discount.
  Old  July 3rd, 2018, 10:37am     #6
SweepingBeauty
Grand Master Sweeper

https://www.car-buying-strategies.co...pe-prices.html

Fighting Thyroid Cancer http://forums.online-sweepstakes.com....php?t=1248254
  Old  July 3rd, 2018, 3:39pm     #7
chestnutfall
Grand Master Sweeper

Some tips:

First is when they ask you what you want to spend' Do Not Tell' them Say I am interested in this model and will discuss my offer when I have found the car I like!

chick your funding options - Credit Unions usually have lower rates and sometimes local CU have special event pricing. or interest rate discount. They can also tell you what is a good price for that model...You can join a credit union for $5 to $25 dollars.

do you belong to Costco or Sam club? I belong to Costco and they have special reduced cost for new cars and certified used. My sister saved about $5000 on her new Ford Escape purchase.
She had decided on the options of her model, the price with Costco went in to the dealer picked up the rig and she went to write out the check and they told her the price she said are your sure it was even less than Costco had told her...then one of mt other sisters went into the same dealer to buy a used (not certified truck) and she mentioned that her sister had recently purchased a new car from them they said oh, what's her name she told them and they said you sister we'll be rec'in a call from us and $100. referral bonus!
If you don't belong to Costco then join it is worth the joining cost! If you live in Sam Club area you might call and see if they offer this service!

You might want to test drive one and not commit (just looking) and then do an internet sale - generally less costly. You just tell them what you want for a car ask the internet price and offer them less!

Since it is time to clear out the model year 2018 you should get more off the car.

If you are a student or a military veteran than you may qualify for a discount.

You might also want to talk with your insurance agent before purchase to get estimate of your cost of insurance (what will the increase every six months be?) Ask about GAP insurance
some Credit Unions also offer the GAP insurance so price compare.

Remember when you are negotiating you are the consumer and you should not feel pressure by the car salesperson - you can thank them for their time - and I might come back another day when you are ready to accommodate me with better price and option package.
They won't want you walking out so choice to listen to them further or take a deep breath and walk out the door.

You might see if anyone in your congregation works for a Ford dealerships, either as a salesperson or in another capacity as they may refer you to a salesperson they recommend as being easy to work with.

oh, also the closer to the end of a month (like the last two days) the more willing they are to come down on the price as they have sales quotes to meet.

Hope this helps and enjoy your new car...
  Old  July 3rd, 2018, 4:35pm     #8
HSXJedi
Master Sweeper

No advice on a new or newer vehicle. We prefer used cars. New ones just lose a huge chunk of their value when you drive off the lot.

In 2015, we researched online, used Car-fax (1-owner, no accidents, etc) to find a 2007 Escape in Las Vegas. I flew up, bought it off the lot, and drove it back to AZ.

New or used just do your research until you feel comfortable. Maybe go into the place with a friend so you aren't talked into something you don't want by a sneaky salesperson. My uncle went in by himself once and they took his keys and refused to give them back. Basically tried to hold him there until he gave in and bought a truck. They finally gave him his keys when he threatened to call the police.
  Old  July 3rd, 2018, 5:25pm     #9
chestnutfall
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSXJedi View Post
No advice on a new or newer vehicle. We prefer used cars. New ones just lose a huge chunk of their value when you drive off the lot.

In 2015, we researched online, used Car-fax (1-owner, no accidents, etc) to find a 2007 Escape in Las Vegas. I flew up, bought it off the lot, and drove it back to AZ.

New or used just do your research until you feel comfortable. Maybe go into the place with a friend so you aren't talked into something you don't want by a sneaky salesperson. My uncle went in by himself once and they took his keys and refused to give them back. Basically tried to hold him there until he gave in and bought a truck. They finally gave him his keys when he threatened to call the police.
Glad you found a car that worked out for you! That is awful what happened to your uncle.

I've only had one new car. My first car when I was a teenager...I agree always check CarFax...some CU give you free access to CF, reputable dealers have the car fax report link on next to the cars on their website.
My husband has never had a new car.
I also recommend that people check the U.S. National Transportation and Safety Administration to see if there are any recalls on the car in which a person is interested in...
I rec' emails from them. The latest one is regarding tires.
  Old  July 3rd, 2018, 10:02pm     #10
sgibbs58
Senior Master Sweeper

We have the best luck at cargurus.com ..... We can search for the car we want and as far as we are willing to travel and they give you the cheapest price first... it can be thousands different on the same vehicle depending on the dealership and how much they want to move inventory.
  Old  July 3rd, 2018, 10:32pm     #11
SweepingBeauty
Grand Master Sweeper

holding keys?
bring decoy keys, you can drive away

Fighting Thyroid Cancer http://forums.online-sweepstakes.com....php?t=1248254
  Old  July 4th, 2018, 11:11am     #12
Annie
Grand Master Sweeper
Founding Member

If you buy a new car I would check into the history of that vehicle concerning repairs. I've bought very few new cars because I keep them for a long time. The last one was a Saturn I kept for 16 years and this time I bought a Mazda 3. The Saturn had a great history concerning repairs and I had very little problems with that car. The Mazda has a great history concerning breakdowns and repairs. So far so good with my Mazda.
  Old  July 6th, 2018, 8:38am     #13
triple*eee
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgibbs58 View Post
We have the best luck at cargurus.com ..... We can search for the car we want and as far as we are willing to travel and they give you the cheapest price first... it can be thousands different on the same vehicle depending on the dealership and how much they want to move inventory.
We use cargurus.com too
  Old  July 28th, 2018, 11:50am     #14
chestnutfall
Grand Master Sweeper

Jeff, have you purchased the car, yet? End of the month the dealers are more willing to deal to make their quote...