Old  June 10th, 2018, 10:53am     #241
plazamama
Senior Master Sweeper

thanks for the good advice. Citrus sounds good, but I just don't have room for them in the winter. I have 3 tropical trees in my bay window which is southern exposure. If one of them ever dies, I could replace it with a blood orange, since you say they will bloom and bear fruit in a pot.
Not holding my breath, though. They are 18+ years old and thriving. They'll probably all outlive me. lol.

I had 4 o'clocks in front of the window for 10 years, and my son had to mow for us because we're not well enough to do it this year. He mowed them down! They were just coming up so I guess no flowers this year. I'll figure out which of your suggestions will like that spot the best, with "casual care" .
  Old  June 11th, 2018, 9:01am     #242
louiseb130
Master Sweeper

My lettuce is finished now that warm weather is here. I cut lots and lots of it, then pulled the plants out. My peas under-performed as usual...I just don't have great luck growing peas. My brussels sprouts never gave me sprouts, but that's ok since I ate the leaves, which were really good sauteed in olive oil. The kale is producing like crazy, and the swiss chard is starting to really spread out. My cukes are on overdrive, but I'm hoping that the cucumber beetles don't devastate them as they have done every year in the past (I'm trying "Safer Soap"...wish me luck). The tomatoes are spreading out, and I even have a few baby green ones on the vine.

What's coming in on everyone's garden? I love reading these posts and getting some tips.
  Old  June 11th, 2018, 9:06am     #243
louiseb130
Master Sweeper

On the fruit side of my postage-stamp yard, I have lots of red currants ready to be picked. My two fig trees were really late coming out of dormancy, so I don't know if I'll have any figs (I'm in zone 6, but I planted "Chicago Hardy" so I hope they produce some day). My dwarf pear tree and cherry tree still need a year or two to produce fruit, but they look healthy. I planted a "Persian mulberry" last year and had a few berries, but it didn't come out of dormancy until late May, so I'm not sure I'll get much. Rhubarb has produced one pie, hoping to get another. I have new blueberry plants, so it will be at least a year for those.

Last edited by louiseb130; June 11th, 2018 at 3:44pm. Reason: misspelling
  Old  June 12th, 2018, 3:46pm     #244
Glam
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseycupcake View Post
The backyard landscaping is mostly under control now. Still a little rough in spots. It's a constant battle with the invasives: wild grape, Virginia creeper, birch and mulberry growing on either side and through our neighbors chain link fence. Mall tree stumps and other gnarly stump intertwined with the fence. The corner of the lot was especially crazy. Hubby really went at it just before spring and tore out the honeysuckle, birch tree and a straggly one branch forsythia. In its wake he transplanted a dappled willow and left standing the "attack bush" (a giant barberry) and what we call "that pink thing"

Well, the pink thing is really happy this spring. Not sure exactly what it is, other than 12 feet tall. It has been there 50+ years. Any ideas?
To me, it looks like Weigela.

Behind every successful woman is a tribe of other successful women who have her back. #TeamTopKnot
  Old  June 25th, 2018, 6:10pm     #245
gigi
Master Sweeper

Interested In trading and/or selling
hostas and irises....

have many hostas that I could sell, irises and lilies.

could also trade same for differents that I do not currently own.

http://forums.online-sweepstakes.com/images/signaturepics/sigpic7547_4.gif

Diligence is the Mother of good luck...Benjamin Franklin
  Old  July 8th, 2018, 5:55pm     #246
caseycupcake
Grand Master Sweeper

Peas, lettuce and radishes are finished. Zucchini starting to produce.

We have our first chipmunk. Hoping to sign him up for the witness protection program and relocate him away from gardens.
  Old  July 8th, 2018, 6:12pm     #247
louiseb130
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseycupcake View Post
Peas, lettuce and radishes are finished. Zucchini starting to produce.

We have our first chipmunk. Hoping to sign him up for the witness protection program and relocate him away from gardens.

With me, it was a groundhog. Feral cats started showing up in my yard last year, and I've not seen one yet.
  Old  July 10th, 2018, 6:04pm     #248
cbm479
Master Sweeper

I had one large almost ripe roma tomato that I was looking forward to picking since all the rest are still green.....the groundhog (I think) picked it and took a bite out of it. I left it on the ground and today its gone. I had to go to the produce stand and buy a tomato. not sure what to do
  Old  July 10th, 2018, 10:29pm     #249
ResourcePress
Grand Master Sweeper

Harvested my white yarrow and made tea with it for the coming winter.

Picked about half of the red raspberries.

Grapes are coming along fine.

Will pick a huge bouquet tomorrow of Annabelle smooth, black eyed susans, queen anne's lace, bee balm, etc for a dinner party

Wishing & hoping & thinking & praying, planning & dreaming... and entering!
  Old  July 11th, 2018, 12:20am     #250
mcclave
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by louiseb130 View Post
With me, it was a groundhog. Feral cats started showing up in my yard last year, and I've not seen one yet.
I have moles and lots of them. They eat the roots of just about everything, especially in the winter. So something will do well in the spring and summer then the following spring won't come back at all.

I finally learned to cut the bottoms out of the pots with the plants in them. Then place it in the hole on top of wire mesh. That has helped some. It helps with the watering too cause the water goes where it is needed first around the roots.

Old  July 11th, 2018, 10:41am     #251
caseycupcake
Grand Master Sweeper

Got to get rid of that chipmunk in my garden. Already has nibbled on 6 zucchinis!

I did pick more green beans this morning. Guess I know what Hubby will be doing while off at the Sweeps convention!
  Old  July 11th, 2018, 10:46am     #252
Glam
Grand Master Sweeper

In our area we're seeing an increased number of opossums in our gardens.

Behind every successful woman is a tribe of other successful women who have her back. #TeamTopKnot
  Old  July 11th, 2018, 11:25am     #253
bigskwinner
Grand Master Sweeper

rainy here today, but another one of my lilies has bloomed !!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BlGF1rYB...ferret_binabug

I also did the pinterest thing with the wheel barrow ...mine was a dump find, flat wheel and broken body (which is good for water drainage lol)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlGFzSIh...ferret_binabug

I also have an obsession with other peoples flowers and often take pics while on my walk to work

I tore out the front part of the house yard and will be trying to figure out what to put there (We wanted a deck but the rules for the town won't allow it, although I might yet do a floating deck instead)

my wins 2014
MY 2016 wins
MY 2017 wins
mY 2018 Wins
you JELLY?
  Old  Today, 5:07am     #254
RAustin
Junior Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glam View Post
In our area we're seeing an increased number of opossums in our gardens.
Read here how to fight with them and keep them away from your plants!
  Old  Today, 8:48am     #255
louiseb130
Master Sweeper

I've been picking cherry tomatoes for about a week, and yesterday I picked my first big one--Black Krim. I made a BBT (like a BLT but w/ a basil leaf instead of lettuce), and it was delicious!

Also cooked my first mess of green beans last week w/ new potatoes and pork...yum!

I love reading everyone's gardening stories and tips...keep them coming!