Old  June 16th, 2017, 9:22pm     #1
Blue Angel
Senior Master Sweeper

Local Giveaway req. purchase or service call
Looking for a little advice. A local furnace company is running a giveaway, requiring that you either purchase a product or have a service call. I was under the assumption it was illegal to require a purchase. They also did not include any rules and regulations. They only stated what the prizes would be and the end date.

Old  June 17th, 2017, 1:01am     #2
sheila10253
Senior Master Sweeper

You will find that with sponsors who don't do contest regularly. The contest is intended for their customers and even big sponsors have done the same thing. One that comes to mind is Sprint. Could you report to the state AG for not following legalities. Yes but why would you want to ? I just figure that there are many, many more sweeps that do give good prizes legally and move on! I would never go after a small business owner for lack of knowledge over rules of a small contest. I would not want someone going after us as a small business for something silly. Of course we have to turn work down . It is just a way for him to get more business. Call it good karma and move on!

My Wins
  Old  June 21st, 2017, 2:31am     #3
Blue Angel
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheila10253 View Post
You will find that with sponsors who don't do contest regularly. The contest is intended for their customers and even big sponsors have done the same thing. One that comes to mind is Sprint. Could you report to the state AG for not following legalities. Yes but why would you want to ? I just figure that there are many, many more sweeps that do give good prizes legally and move on! I would never go after a small business owner for lack of knowledge over rules of a small contest. I would not want someone going after us as a small business for something silly. Of course we have to turn work down . It is just a way for him to get more business. Call it good karma and move on!

Thank you very much for your response. I think my question came off wrong. I don't want to report them. I just wanted to inform them of this, so that no one else reports them or even tries to sue them (I saw where a few companies were sued). I figured maybe this was their first contest, and wanted to try and help them. I just wanted to make sure I was giving them the correct information.

Old  June 22nd, 2017, 1:50am     #4
sheila10253
Senior Master Sweeper

Please don't think I was being mean with my response. Just saying that as a small biz they can't afford lawyers to guide them. Some may not take help in the way you intend so I personally would let it go. Wishing you lots of nice wins!!!!!!

My Wins
  Old  June 22nd, 2017, 12:27pm     #5
sallykay
Grand Master Sweeper

Sometimes I just inform them, and advise them to call the state's attorney general's office, which in Montana handles consumer issues. They just don't know the rules.

When we're free to love anyone we choose
When this world's big enough for all different views
When we all can worship from our own kind of pew
Then we shall be free; We shall be free -- GARTH BROOKS