Old  September 9th, 2017, 9:40am     #31
cookiegirl123
Senior Sweeper

I'm not going to enroll because I already have credit monitoring from when our tax returns were stolen in SC. They originally gave us one year but have extended it for several years now and it will send me alerts that usually come in as a sex offender has registered or my email has been compromised. The time that I did apply for credit, they notified me immediately. However, it is simply credit monitoring much like what Equifax is offering. It will alert you of the situation but it won't do anything at all to fix it when it happens. It will let you know that it happened but it won't solve the numerous issues that come as a result. You could feasibly spend the rest of your life trying to sort it all out, but I guess at least you will know. I think the credit monitoring gives you a false sense of security but what else can you really do? What's done is done and it's not like you can go out and get a new identity.
  Old  September 9th, 2017, 10:34am     #32
Karen_246
Grand Master Sweeper
Senior Moderator/Editor
PITA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravzie View Post
In the agreement, enrolling means you agree not to sue. Today I see they have dropped that due to the outrage...

We are affected too.
That was sneaky of them, glad that they dropped that part of the agreement.

"Once we choose HOPE, EVERYTHING is POSSIBLE" ~ Christopher Reeve
Come check out my blog, please follow if you would like. Looking to get the word out about your company, etsy shop, etc, please give me a shout as I am actively seeking sponsors for reviews and giveaways.
  Old  September 11th, 2017, 3:22pm     #33
pcontester
Senior Master Sweeper

I thought there was a link to check if we were affected but can't now find it. Anyone have a link? I tried the one in this thread
  Old  September 11th, 2017, 5:40pm     #34
dopey
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcontester View Post
I thought there was a link to check if we were affected but can't now find it. Anyone have a link? I tried the one in this thread
https://trustedidpremier.com/eligibi...igibility.html

https://ibotta.com/r/rztlcw
  Old  September 12th, 2017, 11:46am     #35
mcclave
Grand Master Sweeper

Sue Equifax With One Click
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/n...214730288.html
  Old  September 12th, 2017, 11:54am     #36
plazamama
Senior Master Sweeper

thanks.

that site told me I probably wasn't affected, but my son checked it and he was. So I try to help him with any new information.
  Old  September 12th, 2017, 12:05pm     #37
ROADGIRL
Master Sweeper

Big PROBLEM!
The website to check if your information was compromised in UNSECURE! Anything you enter could be hack or in their case hacked again. Also, at first if you signed up for the year ID protection you would be signing away your right to join a Class Action Lawsuit. Because of consumer uproar they changed it. So you can still be part of lawsuit.

ROADGIRLxxooxxooxx
  Old  September 12th, 2017, 2:22pm     #38
lolatoo2
Senior Master Sweeper

I saw on one of the news reports that they say this could possibly affect you for 10 and even 20 years from now. They recommended getting a credit protection service (like Lifelock). Not promoting them but they are the most visible company that I know of. Does anyone else have any experience with companies that do this?
  Old  September 12th, 2017, 5:52pm     #39
highceiling
Master Sweeper

Smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclave View Post
cool! thanks for the info! They only have California and New York up so far, but the concept is interesting.

http://powerful-journey-59211.herokuapp.com/list/542

Far more interesting than a class action lawsuit.
  Old  September 12th, 2017, 9:54pm     #40
mcclave
Grand Master Sweeper

Great Info
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADGIRL View Post
The website to check if your information was compromised in UNSECURE! Anything you enter could be hack or in their case hacked again. Also, at first if you signed up for the year ID protection you would be signing away your right to join a Class Action Lawsuit. Because of consumer uproar they changed it. So you can still be part of lawsuit.
I saw this and decided to share it. I haven't even checked mine yet because I heard that all the info isn't even available yet. I decided to hang back and wait. I have checked my credit on that site every year along with 2 others.

I did here that about them asking detailed questions about personal info in order to check and that right there was a big red flag for me. I heard that about signing up for the ID protection too. Why would you want ID protection from a company that has just compromised all your info in the first place.

I'm just going to hang back and wait for them to get a handle on things.
  Old  September 12th, 2017, 10:17pm     #41
Greg62
Master Sweeper

I did a class action before, we each got checks for $3.
  Old  September 13th, 2017, 10:42am     #42
mcclave
Grand Master Sweeper

Equifax says that it will waive credit freeze fees for 30 days
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/e...164806460.html
  Old  September 13th, 2017, 12:26pm     #43
cookiegirl123
Senior Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg62 View Post
I did a class action before, we each got checks for $3.
Exactly. A class action lawsuit may give you a check for .86 considering how many people are affected by this.

Just for giggles I looked at Lifelock. So, the best plan that looks at everything for you is $29.99 a month. This comes out to $360 a year, assuming that the price doesn't increase. You will need it for the rest of your life so I'm almost 40. Say that I get I live 40 more years. That comes out to me spending almost $15,000 for the service. Since I have a child that is underage, I would need coverage for him as well. It is $66 a year to add coverage for him, so if I have to cover him until he reaches adulthood, that will be $528.

I cannot afford to pay that for the mistakes of others. I just can't. My credit has been frozen and it will stay that way. I just don't see anything else that I can really do at this point.
  Old  September 13th, 2017, 8:33pm     #44
dopey
Grand Master Sweeper

I decided to be better safe than sorry and freeze ds's credit reports, but 2 sites are to busy and Experian wants him to send a certified or registered letter including his SSN, drivers licence, bank statement, etc. I don't think so. I will try the first two again late tonight and Experian again in a couple days.

Last edited by dopey; September 13th, 2017 at 10:23pm. Reason: Got pins for the other 2.

https://ibotta.com/r/rztlcw
  Old  September 14th, 2017, 3:32am     #45
mcclave
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post
I decided to be better safe than sorry and freeze ds's credit reports, but 2 sites are to busy and Experian wants him to send a certified or registered letter including his SSN, drivers licence, bank statement, etc. I don't think so. I will try the first two again late tonight and Experian again in a couple days.

Yes I hear that too they were asking for detailed info. "I don't think so!" is a pretty logical response to that.