Old  September 14th, 2018, 10:14am     #1
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Lucky to have experienced....
Today I am going through the last of my saved papers from when I was a young tyke .. and pen pals.

I have had such an experience with corresponding to people of all ages and all around the world. But now I feel is the time to let go of what I consider "historical" items that I have no controlled place to store them.

I've already sold several paper items and am sure they went to a good home. No, I don't have anything that's going to make me a millionaire .. not even a hundredaire! but I've enjoyed having them and don't want the papers to deteriorate where no one else can see them.

The last bits of "old" paper are dated back to the 1800's and early 1900. Interesting.. not of "historical" in the sense.. And now the very last piece which was typed out for me... information on Vice President Calvin Coolidge by his chauffeur, who was my pen pal ( not when he was the chauffeur, but later in life).

I re-read the paper and look at the photo and it immediately reminds me of how lucky I was to have such a variety of pen pals, enlightening my knowledge as a youngster. It also reminds me that I wasn't perfect when I was 8 years old when I look and see a piece of the paper torn off and missing. I was lucky to be able to get a copy of that page from a teacher who had made a copy of my paper before it tore.

I've had several bits of paper written by the person I was pen pals with.. one a personal log during WWI, and this one, typed for me, of his recollection of an historical event in which he was a part of.

They were not the only ones I recall.. and many pen pals had their own interesting traits. But I did hold onto the "events" that could transpose someone into that day and time of how it felt then. And I'm sure someone will cherish it as much as I have!

Earn cash back while shopping with ebates - my referral https://www.ebates.com/r/BOMER92
  Old  September 16th, 2018, 1:09pm     #2
Ravzie
Grand Master Sweeper

Cool!

Old  September 16th, 2018, 9:11pm     #3
HSXJedi
Master Sweeper

Nice.
  Old  September 16th, 2018, 10:00pm     #4
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

I think of how much is missed by those who never have a pen pal.

I think it was quite common in my time.. but talked to many pen pals on the phone.. and some came to visit me.

My last pen pal ( from Holland ) just passed a few years ago. We were still exchanging Christmas cards and birthday cards. And to think we started corresponding back in the 60's or 70's!

Earn cash back while shopping with ebates - my referral https://www.ebates.com/r/BOMER92