Old  September 7th, 2018, 9:59pm     #1
ginmqi
Junior Sweeper

Question regarding mail-in entry
A quick question regarding mail in entry for a contest. The rules say

Quote:
handprint in ink on a 3" x 5"
postcard your full name, complete home address and zip code, home telephone number and area code, date
of birth, and e-mail address (if any) and your Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program number (if you have one). Mail
this completed card in a first-class stamped envelope
But after looking around I cannot find 3x5 postcards...they are all index cards and the smallest post cards are something like 3.5x5.

So I assume its ok to use a regular 3x5 index cards and mail that in (inside the envelope, of course) since it appears they may have made a mistake in writing for a 3x5 postcard to put into an envelope?

I saw a thread had this discussion in 2003 but that was long ago so thanks for any insights!
  Old  September 7th, 2018, 10:39pm     #2
Vanosa
Master Sweeper

Yes, if they say to put "in an envelope," I would definitely use a 3"x 5" card with my info on it. Their use of the word "postcard" in this context is a bit confusing, but the mention of the word "envelope," solves the riddle!

"There are no guarantees in life, but hope and prayer will carry you through." (V.Mayer)
  Old  September 8th, 2018, 1:12am     #3
plazamama
Senior Master Sweeper

I agree that they just made a mistake and typed postcard when they meant card.

And for future reference, if you ever are instructed to send a 3x5 post card, the PO will not deliver that. Minimum size for a postcard is 3.5x5.
  Old  September 8th, 2018, 4:00am     #4
ginmqi
Junior Sweeper

Thank you both!

Yeah will just use regular 3x5 index cards within envelope. I figured it was a mistake since there are no 3x5 postcards!

Old  September 8th, 2018, 1:37pm     #5
hare2Win
Master Sweeper

Best to use a blank 3x5 index card (not the ones with lines)

“Luck is believing you're lucky.” - Tennessee Williams
  Old  September 8th, 2018, 3:51pm     #6
QBookie
Master Sweeper

Lightbulb If you score 100 on the reading comprehension test you may enter the contest
Quote:
Originally Posted by hare2Win View Post
Best to use a blank 3x5 index card (not the ones with lines)
I haven't seen any lately asking for Plain or Blank Cards. The new trend seems to be asking for Paper instead of cardstock. They also used to tell you to use a #10 envelope. Where did that go? And then there is Hand Print and Hand-written.

This is what I am seeing:

A.)"To enter the Sweepstakes without making a purchase, hand print your first and last name, full address, date of birth, day and evening phone numbers, and email address on one 3” x 5” piece of paper and mail it in an envelope to:"

B)"Mail-in: To receive one (1) Sweepstakes entry by mail without making a purchase, send a hand-written 3” x 5” card with your name, physical address and email address to:"Limit one (1) entry per outer stamped envelope per person per day"

I'm using 3 1/2 x 5 lined paper and lined cards.
Currently I am working on 5 mail-ins, 10K to 50K I only enter 2 times a week for each one I am doing.

Honey, Ain't Nothin' Ever Gonna Be Like It Was Before.
  Old  September 8th, 2018, 3:58pm     #7
ginmqi
Junior Sweeper

After doing some research it appears the rules does not state what constitute a "postcard."

Here's the entire description in full:
Quote:
To enter without completing a Qualifying Rental/Hertz Plus Experience, handprint in ink on a 3" x 5" postcard your full name, complete home address and zip code, home telephone number and area code, date of birth, and e-mail address (if any) and your Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program number (if you have one).

Mailthis completed card in a first-class stamped envelope to: Hertz Plus Sweepstakes Entry, P.O. Box 10310, Rochester, NY 14610.
I have also read that some people caution against using lined index cards at all. Some people only write on the blank side and not the lined side.

Unfortuantely I've already sent 2 where I simply wrote on the lined side.

And it appears you must be sticking to the letter of the rule, and legally I do not see any stipulation that requires you to use a non-lined card.

In the end the problem comes with this terminology: "3"x5" postcard." As we have already determined, there is not such thing as a "3x5 postcard" since the smallest is a 3.5x5. And so the terminology is actually describing a non-existent item.

Hence we may be safely assume they mean "card" instead of "postcard." And a 3x5 sized index card is considered a card.

I'm hoping this is the case. But since this has been mentioned, I may just hop over to Wal Mart and get blank index cards just to be safe!

Last edited by ginmqi; October 5th, 2018 at 2:58pm.