Old  May 26th, 2008, 7:48am     #61
meeeee
Grand Master Sweeper

Take 5: Cheddar Mac and Ham Casserole
I got this one out of the Kraft food and family book (GD inhaled it last night ) it was delicious

Prep:15 minutes Total 30 minutes

1 pkg (14 oz) Kraft Deluxe Macaroni and Cheese Dinner (I used noodles and velveta)
1 cup frozen peas thawed and drained
1 cup chopped Oscar Mayer Smoked Ham (I used the ham cubes)
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 cup Kraft Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare Dinner as directed on package. Add peas, ham and milk mix well.

Spoon into a 9 inch square baking dish sprinkle with shredded cheese

Bake 15 minutes or until heated through

Makes 4 servings
  Old  May 26th, 2008, 11:02pm     #62
kingmiller
Grand Master Sweeper

Avocado Rice
This is my daughter's recipe, but I've developed such a craving for it, I eat it more than she does. I have to have it at least once a week.
One bag of rice; directions on box. (I use the rice that comes in bags). While it's boiling, I peel and cut up two avocados, about 8 cherry tomatoes, or 1 large tomato; add about 2 tbsp. of chives (I use the bottled; my dd uses fresh). When the rice is done, I add it to the avocado/tomato mix, stir it up, and add grated Monterey Jack cheese. (About a cup). Then blend the cheese into the mixture. This doesn't keep very long, so any leftover, keep the avocado pit in with the food so it won't turn. (I never have any left over, though. It's sooooo good!)

So Many Books; So Little Time!
  Old  June 18th, 2008, 12:28pm     #63
gervitsd
Senior Sweeper

Here are some yummy recipes that I love.

caramelized onion and portobello mushroom soup with goat cheese croutons Bon Appétit | February 2002

(I don't make the croutons since I can't have bread and matt can't have cheese)
Makes 6 servings.

3 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 pounds onions, halved, thinly sliced (about 5 cups)
4 fresh thyme sprigs
1 1/2 pounds portobello mushrooms, stemmed, caps halved and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick strips

3 tablespoons Cognac or brandy
3 garlic cloves, minced
8 cups canned vegetable broth
1 cup dry white wine

18 1-inch-thick slices French-bread baguette, toasted
8 ounces soft fresh goat cheese, room temperature

Melt 1 tablespoon butter in heavy large pot over high heat. Add onions and thyme; sauté until onions begin to soften, about 8 minutes. Reduce heat to low; cook until onions are caramelized, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Transfer onion mixture to medium bowl.
Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in same pot over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; sauté until soft, about 12 minutes. Add Cognac and garlic; stir 20 seconds. Stir in onion mixture, then broth and wine. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer until onions are very tender, about 45 minutes. Discard thyme sprigs. Season soup with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly; cover and chill. Bring to simmer before serving.)

Preheat broiler. Place baguette slices on large baking sheet. Spread goat cheese on baguette slices, dividing equally. Broil goat cheese croutons until cheese begins to brown in spots, about 30 seconds. Divide soup among 6 bowls. Top with croutons and serve.

the rainbow room's carrot and peanut salad

April 2003

by Nigella Lawson

Hyperion

I use just plain canola instead of peanut oil in this. I grate the carrots. Also add some salt and pepper to taste. The sesame oil gives this a great flavor.

4 medium carrots, peeled
1/3 cup salted peanuts
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons peanut oil
few drops sesame oil

Grate the carrots very coarsely, push them through the french-fry cutter blade in the food processor, or just cut them into skinny batons or sticks. In a bowl, combine them with the peanuts and then add the remaining ingredients.

shaved fennel and apple salad

November 2000

Makes 8 servings.

Charlie Trotter

Ten Speed Press

I use half the oil that this recipe calls for and it tastes great without being too greasy. I love the crunchy flavors of this.

1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup canola oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and halved
2 bulbs fennel, thinly sliced

To prepare the vinaigrette: Whisk together the lemon juice, chopped tarragon, and olive and canola oils in a small bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper.
To prepare the salad: Cut the apple into thin slices and place in a medium bowl with the fennel. Toss with the vinaigrette and season to taste with salt and pepper

root vegetable cobbler with chive biscuit topping

Bon Appétit | January 2001

Uncork a Zinfandel or a dry Riesling.

Makes 6 servings.

This was a big hit at Thanksgiving this past year. We didn't use dried porcini mushrooms, we just bought a variety of flavorful mushrooms like portabella, shitake, and criminis.

Filling
3 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, chopped
1 1/2 pounds white-skinned potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 3 2/3 cups)
1 8- to 9-ounce turnip, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 large carrot, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 1/2-ounce package dried porcini mushrooms*
1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 141/2-ounce can vegetable broth
1 cup water
1 cup whipping cream
8 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, caps diced
1 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
Biscuit topping
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
6 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 large eggs
1/2 cup whole milk

For filling: Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until deep golden, about 7 minutes. Add next 7 in-gredients and stir 1 minute. Add broth and 1 cup water; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until vegetables are almost tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in cream, shiitake mushrooms, peas and chives.

Season to taste with salt. Bring mixture to simmer. Mix remaining 1 tablespoon butter and flour in small bowl to blend. Stir into vegetable mixture; simmer until mixture thickens slightly, about 5 minutes. Divide vegetable mixture among six 2-cup soufflé or baking dishes; set aside. (Can be prepared 1 1/2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.)
For biscuit topping: Preheat oven to 425°F.

Sift flour, baking powder and salt into bowl. Stir in chives. Add butter; rub in with fingertips until mixture re-sembles coarse meal. Add eggs and milk and stir until soft moist dough forms.
Turn dough out onto generously floured surface.

Knead gently just to combine. Divide dough into 6 equal pieces; pat out each piece to 31/2-inch round. Place 1 dough round atop vegetable filling in each dish (some filling will show around edges). Place dishes on large baking sheet. Bake until topping is golden and vegetable mixture is heated through, about 18 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes. Serve hot.
*Dried porcinis are available at Italian markets and many supermarkets.
  Old  August 25th, 2008, 9:36pm     #64
Suann47
Grand Master Sweeper

Uptown Banana Pudding Cheesecake

1 1/2 cups finely crushed vanilla wafers
1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 large ripe bananas, diced
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
1 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 tablespoon coffee liqueur
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Meringue
3 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons sugar
Directions
1Combine first three ingredients in a small bowl. Press evenly into bottom of a lightly greased 9-inch spring form pan.
2Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
3Combine bananas and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Stir in brown sugar. Place over medium-high heat and cook, stirring constantly, for about 1 minute or just until sugar has melted. Set aside.
4Beat cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth (around 3 minutes). Gradually add granulated sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, then beat in coffee liqueur and vanilla. Blend well. Pour into prepared vanilla wafer crust. Spoon tablespoonfuls of banana mixture evenly over top, and swirl gently into cream cheese mixture.
5Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until center is almost set.
6Drop spoonfuls of Meringue gently and evenly over hot filling.
7Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes or until Meringue is golden brown. Remove from oven and gently run a knife around the edge of cheesecake in the spring-form pan to loosen. Cool cheesecake completely on a wire rack. Cover loosely, and chill 8 hours. Release and remove sides of pan.
8[MERINGUE: Beat egg whites and salt at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy. Add sugar, one tablespoon at a time, beating until soft peaks form and sugar dissolves (about 1-2 minutes).].

This is outstanding and well woth the time to make it.
  Old  August 31st, 2008, 1:19pm     #65
elizabethb
Senior Master Sweeper

This is a chicken salad recipe that I like which is based on the "Holiday Chicken Salad" recipe on allrecipes.com. I have changed the ingredients/quantities slightly and encourage you to do the same. Quantities are approximate. The paprika and Craisins give the salad a lovely pink hue, and combined with the green color of the vegetables, it has a festive appearance. It's wonderful served either by itself or on your favorite sandwich bread. I love it on croissants.

HOLIDAY CHICKEN SALAD (my version)

4 cups cubed, cooked chicken breast
1 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon paprika
1-1/2 cups Craisins or other dried cranberries, coarsely chopped
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
2 green onions (or equivalent amount of regular onion), finely chopped
1/2 of a bell pepper (whichever color you prefer), finely chopped
4 oz. slivered or sliced almonds
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl, adding and subtracting ingredients to your taste. Chill at least an hour before serving.
  Old  September 26th, 2008, 1:50pm     #66
nekkidfish
Master Sweeper

I must be such a doofus! I saw the crockpot sticky, but never saw this one!!

Mom is coming to visit in a few weeks, and I cannot wait to try out some of your recipes.

Big HUGz and thanks to all who have posted here!! Jules

Today is the day to live! Yesterday is gone, and I cannot change it. Tomorrow is not yet here, nor do I know if it will come.

Therefore, let me make the most of today.
  Old  September 27th, 2008, 7:22pm     #67
daskds
Grand Master Sweeper

Spinach Souffle Quiche
I know this may sound odd. My kids LOVE Stouffer's spinach souffle. Go figure. I came up with this just today.

1 box Spinach souffle
5 medium eggs
2-3 tbsp chopped sun dried tomatoes (packed in oil)
2-3 tbsp roasted red bell peppers
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 minced clove of garlic
1 tsp olive oil

Preheat oven to 350 f.
Thaw souffle in microwave 5 minutes on 50% power. Stir and let cool.

Heat oil in a small skillet and cook tomatoes and bell peppers over medium heat just until they start to dry out some. Add minced garlic and cook about 2 minutes. Set aside to cool.

Lightly beat eggs in a medium bowl. Combine all the ingredients with the eggs. Make sure souffle and tomato mixture are cool before adding to eggs.

Coat a quiche pan with veggie spray. Carefully pour the egg mixture into the pan and cook 30 - 40 minutes or until center is set.

Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
  Old  October 22nd, 2008, 7:14pm     #68
Scibba
Grand Master Sweeper

i wanted to bump this so it doesn't get lost

Old  October 22nd, 2008, 7:15pm     #69
Scibba
Grand Master Sweeper

nevermind - it's a STICKY - LOL

Old  January 6th, 2009, 6:09am     #70
meeeee
Grand Master Sweeper

Thanksgiving Leftovers Stuffed Shells
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe-Tools/P...327&servings=8
Submitted by: abbeydave2003

Rated: 5 out of 5 by 3 members Prep Time: 25 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour 10 Minutes Ready In: 1 Hour 40 Minutes
Yields: 8 servings
"This recipe sounds odd, but I promise it makes for an unbelievable, rich hearty meal! Family and friends all show up a couple days AFTER Thanksgiving knowing this will be on the menu... Cheesy and delicious, and feeds a crowd!"
INGREDIENTS:
1 (12 ounce) box jumbo pasta
shells
2 cups cubed cooked turkey
1 1/2 cups leftover stuffing
1 (4 ounce) package cream
cheese, softened

1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup mayonnaise
4 cups shredded mozzarella
cheese
1 1/2 cups leftover turkey gravy
DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
2. Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Once the water is boiling, stir in the shell pasta, and return to a boil. Cook the pasta uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta has cooked through, but is still firm to the bite, about 13 minutes. Drain well in a colander set in the sink.
3. Place turkey and stuffing in food processor, and pulse until finely ground and combined. Place the ground turkey and stuffing mixture in the bowl of a stand mixer along with the cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, mayonnaise, and 2 cups of the mozzarella. Mix with paddle attachment on medium-low until well blended.
4. Spread 1/2 cup of gravy on the bottom of the prepared dish. Stuff the pre-cooked pasta shells with the turkey mixture and place in the dish in tight rows. Top with the remaining gravy and the remaining 2 cups of mozzarella cheese.
5. Bake, covered, for 45 minutes. Uncover and cook for an additional 10 minutes until top is browned and bubbly. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2009 Allrecipes.com Printed from Allrecipes.com 1/6/2009
  Old  January 29th, 2009, 12:17pm     #71
Ashook
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by daskds View Post
I was looking back thru this, do you chop or puree the artichokes? Sounds pretty good.
I never thought of puree- could work, I just cut them in quarters and served with toothpicks..this is a super thread csandfs thank you!
Anyone have superbowl food recipes?

MY WINS Could you spare some box tops?
FSOT
http://frvetere.blogspot.com/
  Old  February 16th, 2009, 10:02am     #72
meeeee
Grand Master Sweeper

cabbage pockets
Basic Peasant White Bread
1 1/2 cups warm water (95 to 100 degrees F)
2 packages active dry yeast
3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon salt

In small bowl, mix 1/2 cup of the water with the yeast until the yeast dissolves.
By hand Place the remaining water and the flour, honey and salt into large bowl. Add the yeast mixture and stir well, until a dough forms and pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until you have a "good dough".
With mixer: mix the dissolved yeast with the remaining water in the mixer bowl. Add 2 1/2 cups flour, the honey and salt. Mix on low speed. Slowly add the last 1/2 cup of flour into the bowl. Continue mixing until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Turn the mixer to medium speed and continue mixing until a "good dough" forms.
For both methods: place dough back in the mixing bowl, cover with a damp towel, and let rise in a warm place for an hour. Punch the dough down, re-cover, and let rise another hour.
Turn dough out on a floured surface.

Yields : 5 large pockets

two recipes Peasant White Bread dough (above)
1 pound very lean ground beef or turkey
4 cups coarsely shopped cabbage
2 cups coarsely chopped onion
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon pepper

While dough is rising for the first time, brown meat, cabbage and onion in a non stick skillet. Drain well and cool to room temperature. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

When the dough is risen, divide it into 5 sections (about 8 oz each) On well floured board, roll or flatten each piece of dough into a 10X 10 inch square. place 1/2 cup of the filling mixture on one half of one dough square. Fold the other dough half over the filling and seal the pocket by pinching the edges hard. Repeat withthe remaiing dough squares and filling.

Place the pocket on a greased cookie sheet and let rise, covered, in a warm place for 20 mintues.

Preheat oven 350 degrees F
Bake the pocket for 18 to 20 minutes until browned.
  Old  February 20th, 2009, 2:40pm     #73
SweepingBeauty
Grand Master Sweeper

Fast Food recipe link-immitations of your favorites

http://www.delish.com/recipes/cookin...1309?gt1=47001
  Old  March 2nd, 2009, 8:52pm     #74
daskds
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmiller View Post
This is my daughter's recipe, but I've developed such a craving for it, I eat it more than she does. I have to have it at least once a week.
One bag of rice; directions on box. (I use the rice that comes in bags). While it's boiling, I peel and cut up two avocados, about 8 cherry tomatoes, or 1 large tomato; add about 2 tbsp. of chives (I use the bottled; my dd uses fresh). When the rice is done, I add it to the avocado/tomato mix, stir it up, and add grated Monterey Jack cheese. (About a cup). Then blend the cheese into the mixture. This doesn't keep very long, so any leftover, keep the avocado pit in with the food so it won't turn. (I never have any left over, though. It's sooooo good!)
So, do you cool the rice before you add in the other ingredients? Doesn't the avocado melt down if the rice is hot? Trying to picture this as a warm dish. Thanks!

"..it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan
  Old  April 14th, 2009, 6:53pm     #75
daskds
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by daskds View Post
I know this may sound odd. My kids LOVE Stouffer's spinach souffle. Go figure. I came up with this just today.

1 box Spinach souffle
5 medium eggs
2-3 tbsp chopped sun dried tomatoes (packed in oil)
2-3 tbsp roasted red bell peppers
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 minced clove of garlic
1 tsp olive oil

Preheat oven to 350 f.
Thaw souffle in microwave 5 minutes on 50% power. Stir and let cool.

Heat oil in a small skillet and cook tomatoes and bell peppers over medium heat just until they start to dry out some. Add minced garlic and cook about 2 minutes. Set aside to cool.

Lightly beat eggs in a medium bowl. Combine all the ingredients with the eggs. Make sure souffle and tomato mixture are cool before adding to eggs.

Coat a quiche pan with veggie spray. Carefully pour the egg mixture into the pan and cook 30 - 40 minutes or until center is set.

Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
I have made this quite a few times since I posted. Now I add a big handfull of shredded mozzarella into the bottom of the pan after I coat the pan with veggie spray. Also, I have been making it with EggBeaters for an even healthier alternative. My kids LOVE this stuff!

"..it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan