Old  January 26th, 2008, 1:08pm     #46
daskds
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetere View Post
one can (non-marinated) Artichoke hearts
Tbsp. mayo (real tastes best)
and @ 3 Tbsp. of parmesan cheese
Toss all together and bake 350 degrees until lightly browned.

This tastes Awesome, the kids like it, you could put it on crackers...

I was looking back thru this, do you chop or puree the artichokes? Sounds pretty good.
  Old  February 18th, 2008, 8:14pm     #47
meeeee
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gervitsd View Post
I used to make this in college and we all loved it. It's kind of like a pizza bread casserole thing but it's easy.

italian spoon biscuits with tomato sauce and cheese
Bon Appétit | June 1997

This unusual dish — which combines biscuits, tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese — is a cross between a meatless lasagna and a pizza bread. It's a terrific quick supper; just add a mixed green salad.

Makes 8 Servings.

3 10- to 11-ounce cans refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
2 cups prepared tomato pasta sauce
1 cup sliced green onions
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 cups (packed) grated mozzarella cheese (about 8 ounces)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Cut each biscuit into 8 pieces; place in prepared dish. Add sauce, green onions and bell pepper and stir to blend well.
Bake until top is set and almost firm to touch, about 35 minutes. Sprinkle cheese over evenly. Bake until cheese melts, about 5 minutes longer. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut into squares and serve.

we use to make it all the time when my kids were younger
we called it bumpy pizza
we would use the biscuits cut up toss those in pizza sauce
then add peperonis and mozarella cheese on top
bake it - delicious
  Old  February 24th, 2008, 1:55pm     #48
elliej
Master Sweeper

We tried this for dinner 2 nights ago, it was delicious. We put it in bread bowls, but you can serve with rolls instead. If you like soup, we are big soup eaters and always trying something new.

CRAB & CHEDDAR CHOWDER

1 1/2 c. pared, diced potatoes
1 c. thinly sliced carrots
1 c. thinly sliced celery
2 c. water
1/2 c. (1 stick) butter
1 med. onion, chopped
1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. milk, warmed
1 bottle (8 oz.) clam juice
1/2 lb. (8 oz.) cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 tsp. dill weed
1/2 lb. imitation crabmeat or fresh or frozen crabmeat (best if you use fresh crab)
Salt & pepper to taste

1. In 2-quart saucepan, combine potatoes, carrots, celery and water.

2. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer 15 minutes until cooked, but not mushy.

3. Meanwhile, in 4-quart saucepan, melt the butter. Add onion. Simmer 5 minutes over low heat. Don't brown the onion. Add the flour, stir until smooth.

4. Stir in the milk and clam juice. Bring to a boil. Simmer until thickened.

5. Add the cooked vegetables with cooking liquid. Boil 1 minute.

6. Add the cheese, dill weed and crabmeat. Heat to serving temperature.

7. Taste and add salt and pepper. Serve hot.

~Ellie~
  Old  February 24th, 2008, 2:05pm     #49
elliej
Master Sweeper

I'm munching on these right now....delicious! Highly recommend these for snacking or an appetizer...YUM We saw this on Barefoot Contessa one day and had to try them. (we watch alot of food tv) lol

2 sheets (1 box) frozen puff pastry (such as Pepperidge Farm), defrosted overnight in the refrigerator
Flour, for dusting
1 extra-large egg
1 tablespoon water
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
1 cup finely grated Gruyère cheese
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Roll out each sheet of puff pastry on a lightly floured board until it is 10- by 12-inches. Beat the egg with 1 tablespoon of water and brush the surface of the pastry. Sprinkle each sheet evenly with 1⁄4 cup of the Parmesan, 1⁄2 cup of the Gruyère, 1⁄2 teaspoon of the thyme, 1⁄2 teaspoon of the salt, and some pepper. With the rolling pin, lightly press the flavorings into the puff pastry. Cut each sheet crosswise with a floured knife or pizza wheel into 11 or 12 strips. Twist each strip and lay on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.

Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until lightly browned and puffed. Turn each straw and bake for another 2 minutes. Don't over bake or the cheese will burn. Cool and serve at room temperature.

~Ellie~
  Old  March 8th, 2008, 3:34pm     #50
sallykay
Grand Master Sweeper

CHEAP EASY TASTY ENCHILADAS

I made this up, based on other recipes--it is DELISH! Tinker with it as you wish:

Brown one pound hamburger with a package of taco seasoning mixed in & preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Meanwhile, spray a 13x9 inch pan (I used glass) with cooking spray. Open a 26 oz can of enchilada sauce (I used Great Value Red Sauce) and spread some on the bottom of the pan.
Then line the pan with flour tortillas. Go ahead, you can tear the tortillas or overlap them.

When burger is done, spread over the tortillas. Cover with cheese (I used shredded fat free and regular mexican mix). I used what looked good to me.

Put another layer of tortillas on top. Pour the rest of the red sauce over everything. Then put on more cheese; amount that looks good to you (regular mexican mex alone is what I used here).

Bake at 350 for 20 minutes; if you want the cheese browner, broil for a minute or two.

I added sour cream to mine when I was eating it--you could add other toppings, too. My husband ate his plain, and he loved it.

I figured this cost about $7 to make; there was enough for supper and leftovers for each of us the next day.
  Old  March 9th, 2008, 5:54pm     #51
daskds
Grand Master Sweeper

Muffeletta for a Crowd
1 cup green olives, crushed
1/2 cup kalamata black olives, crushed
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 cup giardeniera, marinated Italian vegetables
2 tbsp capers
1/4 cup marinated cocktail onions
1/2 cup pepperoncini
1/2 tsp celery seed
1 tsp dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
3/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
2 1 lb loaves of Italian bread
8 ounces thinly sliced Genoa salami
8 ounces thinly sliced ham
8 ounces thinly sliced mortadella, garlic bologna
8 ounces thinly sliced mozzarella cheese
8 ounces thinly sliced provolone cheese

To Make Olive Salad: In a medium bowl, combine the green olives, kalamata olives, garlic, cauliflower, capers, celery, carrot, pepperoncini, cocktail onions, celery seed, oregano, basil, black pepper, vinegar, olive oil and canola oil. Mix together and transfer mixture into a glass jar (or other nonreactive container). If needed, pour in more oil to cover. Cover jar or container and refrigerate at least overnight.

To Make Sandwiches: Cut loaves of bread in half horizontally; hollow out some of the excess bread to make room for filling. Spread each piece of bread with equal amounts olive salad, including oil. Layer 'bottom half' of each loaf with 1/2 of the salami, ham, mortadella, mozzarella and Provolone. Replace 'top half' on each loaf and cut sandwich into quarters. Serve immediately, or wrap tightly before cutting and refrigerate for a few hours; this will allow for the flavors to mingle and the olive salad to soak into the bread.

I make this for work and put it together in the morning before I take it in. By lunch the juices have soaked into the bread and it is out of this world delicious!
  Old  March 11th, 2008, 10:13am     #52
FaygoPop
Senior Master Sweeper

Post Rachael Ray/Turkey Burgers with Horseradish and Cheddar Cheese Recipe
Rachael Ray/Turkey Burgers with Horseradish and Cheddar Cheese Recipe

Last edited by FaygoPop; February 20th, 2009 at 7:36am.

Old  March 11th, 2008, 10:22am     #53
FaygoPop
Senior Master Sweeper

Post Balsamic Chicken with White Beans and Wilted Spinach
Balsamic Chicken with White Beans and Wilted Spinach

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (eyeball it)
4 tablespoons EVOO
1 tablespoon grill seasoning, such as McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning, a palmful
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
4 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 teaspoon dried thyme, 1/3 palmful
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (eyeball it)
Salt and black pepper
1 bay leaf
3/4 cup white wine (eyeball it)
2 cups chicken stock
1 14-ounce can cannellini beans, drained
1 12-ounce sack baby spinach or 3/4 pound from the bulk bins, washed and patted dry
1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, a couple of generous handfuls, chopped
Juice of 1 lemon

In a shallow dish, combine the balsamic vinegar, about 2 tablespoons of the EVOO, and the grill seasoning. Coat the chicken breasts in the mixture, and set aside to marinate while you start the white beans and wilted spinach.

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with the remaining 2 tablespoons of EVOO, twice around the the pan. Add the onions, garlic, thyme, red pepper flakes [I add a little extra to make it a little bit spicy], salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are a little brown, 3 to 4 minutes. [Takes more like 7-8 on my stove.] Add the white wine and chicken stock, bring up to a bubble, and cook for 5 minutes.

Heat another large skillet over medium-high heat. When it is hot, add the chicken breasts and cook for 5 to 6 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken to a plate, cover loosely with foil, and let rest a few minutes. [You could definitely grill the chicken, too.]

Add the cannellini beans to the skillet with the onions and stir to combine. Cook for about 2 minutes or until the beans are heated through. Turn off the heat and discard the bay leaf. Stir in the spinach, parsley,and lemon juice. Toss and stir until the spinach wilts.

To serve, place a portion of the white beans and wilted spinach on each serving plate. Thickly slice each chicken breast on an angle and arrange over the beans and spinach.

4 Servings.

http://rachaelrayblog.blogspot.com/2...th-wilted.html

I have made this and it is pretty good, but it is yet another dish that only my dh and I will eat, so if I make this, I have to make something else for the kidlets.

Old  March 11th, 2008, 10:28am     #54
FaygoPop
Senior Master Sweeper

Post Martha Stewart/Macaroni & Cheese Recipe
Martha Stewart's Perfect Macaroni & Cheese Recipe (Feb 1999)

(I always cut this recipe in half. I also substitute Parmesean Cheese for the Gruyere Cheese, but I do plan on making it with that one day. I also only use a dash of nutmeg, I made it once with the recommended amount and I thought it was too overwhelming. I also use regular salt. This recipe is tooooo die for, comfort food at its best...the bread topping with butter is so delicious, too!)

You can easily divide this recipe in half; use a 1 1/2-quart casserole dish if you do.

Serves 12
6 slices good-quality white bread, crusts removed, torn into 1/4- to 1/2-inch pieces
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for dish
5 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 1/2 cups (about 18 ounces) grated sharp white cheddar
2 cups (about 8 ounces) grated Gruyere or 1 1/4 cups (about 5 ounces) grated pecorino Romano
1 pound elbow macaroni

1. Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 3-quart casserole dish; set aside. Place bread pieces in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Pour butter into the bowl with bread, and toss. Set the breadcrumbs aside. In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, heat milk. Melt remaining 6 tablespoons butter in a high-sided skillet over medium heat. When butter bubbles, add flour. Cook, stirring, 1 minute.

2. Slowly pour hot milk into flour-butter mixture while whisking. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick.
3. Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in salt, nutmeg, black pepper, cayenne pepper, 3 cups cheddar, and 1 1/2 cups Gruyere or 1 cup pecorino Romano. Set cheese sauce aside.

4. Fill a large saucepan with water. Bring to a boil. Add macaroni; cook 2 to 3 fewer minutes than manufacturer's directions, until outside of pasta is cooked and inside is underdone. (Different brands of macaroni cook at different rates; be sure to read the instructions.) Transfer the macaroni to a colander, rinse under cold running water, and drain well. Stir macaroni into the reserved cheese sauce.

5. Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle remaining 1 1/2 cups cheddar and 1/2 cup Gruyere or 1/4 cup pecorino Romano; scatter breadcrumbs over the top. Bake UNCOVERED until browned on top, about 30 minutes. Transfer dish to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes; serve.

http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/...003d370a0aRCRD

Old  March 11th, 2008, 10:33am     #55
FaygoPop
Senior Master Sweeper

Post Easy Chicken Cacciatore (That the kids will eat)
Easy Chicken Cacciatore (That the kids will eat)

I got this recipe well over 10 years ago from a free local newspaper, it is so easy to make, and everyone in our family eats it, including the picky kids, lol:

1 Tb Olive Oil
6 Chicken Drumsticks
1 15 oz can of Tomato Sauce
1 envelope package of Good Seasonings Italian Seasoning (Generic is fine)
1 16 oz package of Farfalle pasta (Bowties)

Brown chicken pieces in oil. Add Tomato Sauce and Italian Seasoning. Cover. Simmer for an hour, or until chicken is thoroughly cooked.

Cook pasta according to directions on box.

Toss cooked ingredients in a pasta serving dish, add parmesean or romano cheese, enjoy.

Note: make sure not to cook this on high heat or it will burn, low/medium works great. And even though it does not look like a lot of sauce, it really is enough. In fact, the original recipe called for an even smaller can of tomato sauce, but that was not enough for us. You could even try this with 1/2 packet of the seasoning, but we like it full force, lol, so I use a whole packet.

Also: You can use any chicken pieces that you like, but I like to use the drumsticks, even though I only eat white meat because it is what the guys in my house like the best, plus I can get a package of them on sale for around $1, but sometimes I do add one chicken breast in there for me. You can also use any pasta that you like, we are just used to the bowties with this recipe since I always make it this way.

Old  March 14th, 2008, 7:17pm     #56
daskds
Grand Master Sweeper

This was fantastic!
Eggplant with tomato and mozzarella

1 medium eggplant - the kind without a lot of seeds inside
2 medium tomatoes
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese - about 1 tsp for each slice
4 oz fresh mozzarella
fresh or dried basil
garlic powder
salt
pepper
olive oil

Preheat oven to 400f

Spray a cookie sheet with olive oil, or line with parchment paper.

Peel eggplant if you like, I did about half and I like them both. Peeled, it is much softer.
Cut into about 1/4 inch slices. Cut tomato into the same number of slices as the eggplant.

Place eggplant slices on the tray and spray each with olive oil spray. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sprinkle on a little dried basil or top with one basil leaf. Top each slice with about a teaspoon of the parmesan.

Top with a tomato slice. Again sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and a little garlic powder.

Bake for 20 minutes.

Remove from oven and top with mozzarella cheese and place under the broiler for a couple of minutes, watch carefully.

I tricked my kids into eating this. I told them it was potatoes. They loved it! Then DD asked what the green part was!!
  Old  March 20th, 2008, 9:17am     #57
FaygoPop
Senior Master Sweeper

Post Sesame Chicken and Asparagus Pasta
Sesame Chicken and Asparagus Pasta
(hot or cold)

1 bunch (about 12 ounces) asparagus
1 pound dry short cut pasta (penne, fusilli, radiatore, etc)
3 tablespoons peanut oil
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
1/4 cup sesame seeds
2 cups cubed, cooked chicken
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
2 green onions, white and light green parts thinly sliced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
1 teaspoon sugar

Break the tough ends off the asparagus spears. Using a peeler, peel the stems of the asparagus (if using thick asparagus; otherwise proceed). Slice off the asparagus tips and halve them on a bias. Thinly slice the stems. Set aside separately.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente. During the last 5 minutes of cooking, add the asparagus stems.

Meanwhile, heat the peanut and sesame oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until the edges just begin to brown, about 1 minute. Stir in the asparagus tips and cook, stirring often, until cooked but still firm, about 4 minutes. Add the sesame seeds and chicken and turn up the heat to medium-high; cook, tossing or stirring until the sesame seeds are fragrant and begin to brown and the chicken is warmed, about 3 minutes. Stir in the soy sauce, vinegar, green onions, parsley and sugar. Set aside.

Drain the pasta and asparagus stems and transfer to a large mixing bowl (or pasta serving platter). Pour the skillet sauce over the pasta and gently stir to blend. Serve hot or cover and refrigerate and serve as a cold pasta salad.

Source: Today's Diet & Nutrition magazine, Jan/Feb 08 edition

This is a delicious dish. I substituted EVOO for the 2 oils and dry parsley for the fresh. I used frozen asparagus and did not peel them. Even frozen, they were very easy to break. I made this in a half hour, very fast, very tasty. We ate it hot for dinner and then cold as leftovers for lunch. Purchase the sesame seeds in the ethnic aisle, rather than the spice aisle in the grocery store, they are cheaper there.

Old  March 30th, 2008, 10:55am     #58
FaygoPop
Senior Master Sweeper

Post Mini Key Lime Cupcakes Recipe
http://www.bettycrocker.com/Recipes/...recipeId=41439

I made these yesterday and they are delicious

Old  April 24th, 2008, 12:54pm     #59
HistoryMystery
Grand Master Sweeper

I just made my own recipe up for a skillet stew. I got to the store and realized I forgot my debit card, but I had $10 in my car and made this. It's AWESOME.

1.5 lbs. stew meat (I actually used beef bites, they're chopped up even smaller than stew meat)
2 large potatoes, diced
3 carrots, chopped
1 red onion, chopped
1 can beef broth + 1 can water
1/2 small (6 oz.) can of tomato paste
1 can whole kernel corn
Minced garlic
Salt, pepper, cayenne pepper to taste

Heat skillet on medium high heat. Add meat and garlic. Stir until meat is nearly done. Lower heat to medium and let meat sit at the bottom as you add potatoes, carrots, and onions. (I actually let the meat sit while I peeled and chopped everything--used the Rachael Ray chop & drop method.)

Once the meat has browned on the bottom, pour beef broth over the mixture, stir to pick up the flavor from the bottom of the pan. Refill empty can with water, add to mixture. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes on medium heat.

Remove cover, drain and add corn, spices, and tomato paste. Let simmer on medium heat for 15-20 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated, leaving you with a flavorful tomato/beef sauce.

This was AWESOME and only took about 45 minutes from start to tummy. I wanted all the flavors of beef stew without the actual soup part of it, and this was perfect. And only cost $8 for all the ingredients... and will last me for about 4 meals.
  Old  May 18th, 2008, 12:26am     #60
xasiandollx
Sweeper

GREAT thread! Here's one I stole from Racheal Ray...It's Chicken in a Pastry...I made it for Mother's Day. Did a few different things from Rach...It was pretty simple and looked gourmet! Very yummy though.

For four pastries, I used:

*3 boneless chicken strips
*salt and pepper
*a few sprigs of fresh rosemary, chopped
*tablespoon olive oil
*one sheet puff pastry (11x17 inch)
*a small wedge of fontina cheese sliced into small squares
*plum preserves (rachael called for fig, couldnt find it, so used plum four stores later)
*1 egg mixed in a tablespoon of water for egg wash

Preheat oven to 350.

Cut chicken strips into little niblets(easier to fit in pastry that way). Season chicken with salt, pepper and rosemary. Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet over med. heat. Brown chicken on both sides, five minutes total. Remove from heat.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut pastry into four piece squares. Place cheese onto the middle of each square, top with spoonfuls of plum preserves. Add chicken pieces. Pinch and seal the dough over the meat and cheese. Seal with the egg wash, don't forget the bottom of the pastry! Bake for about twenty minutes, depending on your oven.