Old  August 9th, 2007, 2:04pm     #31
csandfs
Master Sweeper

Scibba--thanks for posting all of your WONDERFUL recipes and keeping this thread going!! C'mon everyone--I know you are making recipes out there! Post the ones you are trying and tell us how they were!!
  Old  August 9th, 2007, 7:17pm     #32
swstmama
Senior Sweeper

Talking
I found this on recipezaar.com and tried it today. It is a keeper in my family! Delish!

Slowcook Down Home Pork Chops and Gravy Recipe #45940

I don't even like Pork, but was tricked into tasting this dish when I was told it was chicken. WOW! The meat was sooo tender and juicy; so tender in fact, that it was literally falling apart! It was like nothing I'd ever tasted before! Definitely not like my mother's hard, crusty pork chops! lol! This recipes goes hand in hand w/ some mashed potatoes. Just pour the leftover gravy on the taters' and enjoy!
by buttercup0009
6 servings
2˝ hours 30 min prep
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
6 lean boneless pork chops (1 in. thick)
1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed chicken broth
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Combine 1st four ingredients in a shallow dish.
Dredge chops in flour mixture and set aside.
Combine what is left of the flour mixture w/ the chicken broth and pour into your crockpot.
Pour oil into a large skillet and cook the chops in hot oil until browned on both sides.
Place chops in crockpot and cook covered on High for about 2 to 5 hours or until tender.
Serve w/ hot rice and/or mashed potatoes.
++If the gravy becomes too thick just add a little water. If you accidently add too much water then add a little more flour.
Season w/ salt and pepper too your taste.

My Wins list.
  Old  August 9th, 2007, 11:56pm     #33
csandfs
Master Sweeper

Thanks for sharing swstmama! My husband would love that!
  Old  October 17th, 2007, 5:50pm     #34
Alluringheart
Master Sweeper

I just found this thread, what a neat idea!

Here is one that I always get asked to make for every family function. (Just made this last week for a church potluck). It is super easy, and taste yummy!

Chocolate Eclair cake

1 (16 ounce) package graham crackers
2 (3.5 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding mix (can substitute sugar free)
4 cups milk (I use 2%)
1 (16 ounce) package frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 (20 ounce) bottle Sanders Hot Fudge Topping (this is the BEST!!!!) http://www.sanderscandy.com/index.ph...roducts_id=194 (you can substitute any other brand, but if you haven't tried Sanders, you don't know what you are missing out on!)

Line the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking pan with graham crackers. In a large bowl, combine the milk and vanilla pudding according to directions on box. Fold in the whipped topping.

Spread a layer of the pudding mixture over the graham crackers. Alternate the graham cracker and pudding layers up to the top of the pan. Warm the hot fudge topping. Pour over the top of the cake. Refrigerate for at least 12 hours before serving.
  Old  October 17th, 2007, 6:29pm     #35
angelfish
Senior Master Sweeper

OMG. I just mixed up some plain old bisquit dough and sprinkled some mrs. dash garlic and herb seasoning in it before I made them. My skinny husband ate 4 of them! They smell and taste so freakin' good! Who knew?
  Old  October 17th, 2007, 8:54pm     #36
Alluringheart
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfish
OMG. I just mixed up some plain old bisquit dough and sprinkled some mrs. dash garlic and herb seasoning in it before I made them. My skinny husband ate 4 of them! They smell and taste so freakin' good! Who knew?

I bet my son would love that, I will have to try it.
  Old  October 24th, 2007, 4:22pm     #37
FeelinSweepy
Senior Sweeper

Sticks
I got this out of our community paper:

15-oz. bag of pretzel sticks
1 tablespoon lemon pepper
2 teaspoons (half a package) of dry Ranch dressing mix
6 oz. buttery popcorn oil (lI use Orville Redenbacher)

Put the pretzel sticks in a big bowl. Whisk together the lemon pepper, dressing mix and oil - it won't all disolve. Pour over sticks and mix well. I used my hands.
Let sit 10 minutes. Mix again. Let sit five minutes. Mix again. Let sit five minutes. Mix again. Pour into a big baggie - you may have a bit of dressing left in the bowl. Leave the bag open a couple of hours, then seal. As the pretzels sit, they will absorb the dressing.
Makes about a gallon.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.
  Old  November 1st, 2007, 11:02pm     #38
jill92802
Master Sweeper

Great thread...thanks, csandfs!
I see several recipes I'd love to try (OMG, Scibba.... that Taco Biscuit Casserole made my mouth water!)
  Old  November 5th, 2007, 3:24pm     #39
tybeth
Master Sweeper

Just found this thread, I love it!!

Here's a couple of breads I made today:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cathys-...ad/Detail.aspx

I loved this one! It came out really really moist. I added about a teaspoon of ground cinnamon after I mixed everything together and sprinkled chopped walnuts on top. This will definately replace the recipe I used to use.

Also made this today:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Perfect...ad/Detail.aspx

I followed what a couple of the reciews said and dropped the oven temp to 375 and took it out after about 28 minutes and it was perfect. I seriously don't think I will ever buy store bread again. As soon as I took it out of the oven I cut a piece off and spread with butter and peanut butter and it was just incredible!!

Here's another that I tried last week:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cinnamo...-I/Detail.aspx

My kids loved this, especially toasted. I think next time I will add a little more cinnamon and another 1/2 cup of raisins.
  Old  November 14th, 2007, 4:09pm     #40
gervitsd
Senior Sweeper

I used to make this in college and we all loved it. It's kind of like a pizza bread casserole thing but it's easy.

italian spoon biscuits with tomato sauce and cheese
Bon Appétit | June 1997

This unusual dish — which combines biscuits, tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese — is a cross between a meatless lasagna and a pizza bread. It's a terrific quick supper; just add a mixed green salad.

Makes 8 Servings.

3 10- to 11-ounce cans refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
2 cups prepared tomato pasta sauce
1 cup sliced green onions
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 cups (packed) grated mozzarella cheese (about 8 ounces)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Cut each biscuit into 8 pieces; place in prepared dish. Add sauce, green onions and bell pepper and stir to blend well.
Bake until top is set and almost firm to touch, about 35 minutes. Sprinkle cheese over evenly. Bake until cheese melts, about 5 minutes longer. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut into squares and serve.
  Old  December 4th, 2007, 2:16pm     #41
Globug_47
Grand Master Sweeper

It's a recipe that I found in a Pillsbury cookbook and I really like it. Hope that you enjoy it too!

French Onion-Beef-Noodle Bake (Serves 8 recipe can be cut in half for 4 servings)

5 cups uncooked wide egg noodles (8oz)

3 tbsps. butter or margarine

2 lb. boneless beef sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch cubes

4 medium onions, thinky sliced (4 cups)

2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms

3 cups beef broth

1/4 cup all purpose flour

1 tsp. dried rosemary leaves

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. black pepper

2 cups seasoned croutons

2 cups shredded Swiss cheese

~Heat oven to 350 degrees. Cook and drain noodles as directed on package.

~ Meanwhile, in 5-quart Dutch oven, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add beef, onions and mushrooms; cook about 20 minutes, stirring frequently, until beef is browned on all sides, onions are soft and mushrooms are browned.

~ Spread noodles in the bottom of ungreased 13X9-inch (3 quart) glass baking dish. Spoon beef mixture over noodles.

~ In same Dutch oven, heat 2 1/2 cups of the beef broth to boiling over medium-high heat. In small bowl, mix remaining 1/2 cup broth and the flour until smooth in texture. Stir flour mixture into boiling broth. Cook, stirring constantly, until bubbly and thickened. Stir in rosemary, salt and pepper. Pour over beef mixture and noodles; stir until well blended. Sprinkle with croutons, then cheese.

~Bake 25 to 35 minutes or until bubbly around the edges and cheese is melted.

Old  December 4th, 2007, 2:18pm     #42
Globug_47
Grand Master Sweeper

I made one the other night and it was fabulous. I'm going to make it again but do a little experimenting with it. Here is the recipe. It was really easy to make! With the holidays coming up, it makes a great appetizer too!

CHICKEN CAESAR SANDWICH RING

2 cans (11oz each) Pillsbury refrigerated French Loaf
1 egg, beaten
1 lb. cooked chicken (from deli) cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
4 tbsps. Caesar dressing
1/4 cup shredded fresh Parmesan cheese
2 cups torn romaine lettuce (about 6 leaves)
1 large tomato, sliced

~ Heat oven to 375 degrees. Grease large cookie sheet with cooking spray. Remove dough from both cans. Place dough seam side down and join ends together firmly to seal.

~ Brush dough ring with the beaten egg. With kitchen scissors, cut surface of dough every 2 inches to form V's.

~ Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until deep golden brown. Cool 15 minutes.

~ With serrated knife, cut bread ring in half horizontally. Top bottom half of ring with chicken. Drizzle 2 tbsps. of the dressing. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Top with lettuce, tomato and remaining 2 tbsps. of dressing. Cover with top half of bread ring. Cut into sanwiches.

PREP TIME: 15 minutes
START TO FINISH: 55 minutes
SERVES: 8 sandwiches.

Old  January 6th, 2008, 1:43pm     #43
newkidney22602
Senior Sweeper

This is a super easy appetizer that people ask me to make for every function. DH asks for it for dinner sometimes. I eyeball everything, so add/subtract to your liking.

Vegetable Pizza

1 head of broccoli cut into pieces
1 head cauliflower cut into pieces
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1.5 cups real mayo
1 80z block of cream cheese
1 packet Hidden Valley powdered ranch
2 packages of Cresent Rolls

Unroll cresents flat onto a cookie sheet. Bake according to directions on pack until lightly golden.

Mix cream cheese, mayo, and ranch powder in a bowl with a mixer until light and fluffy.

When cresents are completely cooled, spread cream cheese mix over top, spread broccoli and cauliflower over top. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.

Cut into single servings. I usually make extra cream cheese mix to use as a dip to go with any extra veggies I have. It makes the best dip.
  Old  January 6th, 2008, 3:42pm     #44
daskds
Grand Master Sweeper

Creamy Tomato Soup with Basil
Here is a really easy Tomato soup that I make all the time. You can make it decedant with half and half or healthy with evaporated skim milk.

30 ounces low sodium chicken broth, preferably a low sodium one
28 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
1 cup half and half cream or evaporated skim milk (optional
1 dash salt
1 dash pepper
1 clove garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
4 Teaspoons Basil Pesto

Add broth to a medium stock pot. Heat to a light boil and reduce by about 1/3.

Add tomatoes and cook over moderate heat. When soup begins to bubble, puree soup with an immersion blender.

Stir in cream (or milk) and reduce heat to low. Taste and season with a little salt and pepper and simmer gently 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

You can eliminate the cream and it is just as good.

Spoon into soup bowl, top each bowl with a teaspoon of pesto and sprinkle on a little cheese.
  Old  January 15th, 2008, 10:26pm     #45
tamarisk100
Senior Sweeper

Yummy Caramels
Chestnutfall, this recipe is especially for you!

**A couple of things you need to remember when making Caramels. Be patient, it takes time to get the caramels to 242 degrees, F. You do need a candy thermometer at this stage. If you under cook the caramels, they will be gooey, if you over cook they will be hard. Trust your candy thermometer and do the water test!

Happy Caramel Eating!!!!

INGREDIENTS
2 cups white sugar
1 1/2 cups corn syrup
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS
Butter a 9x13 inch dish.
In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup, 1 cup cream and butter. Bring to a boil, stirring often, then stir in remaining 1 cup cream. Heat, stirring occasionally, to 242 degrees F (116 degrees C), or until a small amount of syrup dropped into cold water forms a firm but pliable ball. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla, and pour into prepared dish. Refrigerate.
When cool, return candies to room temperature then cut into 1 inch squares and wrap in waxed paper.

Check out my new webzine: Tempestuous
If you are at a crossroads in your life and looking for the next chapter, this is the site to check out! Please like my FB page also.
https://www.facebook.com/Tempestuous-356615558014952/
http://www.tempestuous.biz/