Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  Old  August 4th, 2017, 11:15am     #1
mommie-sweep is offline
mommie-sweep
Senior Master Sweeper
 
mommie-sweep's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 5,058
Location: North Carolina
Unauthorized debit card use
Just had my debit card use my someone in NJ to buy some expensive juice. Lucky my bank flagged it and it has declined but unfortunately for me they frozen my debit card after that. I absolutely hate these cheaters!

Just want to give everyone a "heads up" because the bank said this is happening a lot right now, so check your cards.
Reply With Quote
  Old  August 4th, 2017, 11:25am     #2
carcon is offline
carcon
Senior Master Sweeper
 
carcon's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,191
Location: Rural Indiana
Thanks sorry that happened to you but at least your bank is on the ball. Not sure what bank you use but my bank issued me a new card immediately and I could pick it
up at the bank or have it overnight sent to me.

You've got to to prime the pump, you've got to have faith and believe
You've got to give of yourself before your worthy to receive!
Reply With Quote
  Old  August 4th, 2017, 11:48am     #3
mommie-sweep is offline
mommie-sweep
Senior Master Sweeper
 
mommie-sweep's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 5,058
Location: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcon View Post
Thanks sorry that happened to you but at least your bank is on the ball. Not sure what bank you use but my bank issued me a new card immediately and I could pick it
up at the bank or have it overnight sent to me.
Yes, they are sending me a replacement and even gave me a temporary card but the temporary card does not work as well.
Reply With Quote
  Old  August 4th, 2017, 12:40pm     #4
gypsylover is offline
gypsylover
Senior Master Sweeper
 
gypsylover's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 5,319
Location: Cape Cod,MA
Sorry about your debit card being used by some low-lifer but glad your bank flagged it and froze the card.
One of my biggest fears.
We've had it happen to us too in the past and our bank did issue us a new card immediately.
Reply With Quote
  Old  August 4th, 2017, 1:08pm     #5
rthunt is offline
rthunt
Master Sweeper
 
rthunt's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,820
Location: colorado
that's awful ...mine was used last week ...600.00 on wayfair!
Reply With Quote
  Old  August 4th, 2017, 1:48pm     #6
dietingqueen is offline
dietingqueen
Senior Sweeper
 
dietingqueen's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 794
Location: Nevada
Good that the bank caught the charge. My bank approved a $1400 fraudulent charge overdrawing my account by about 400.00! It then took them almost one month to remove the charge and another week or so to remove the overdraft fee! It was a business account and it was 'frozen' to me because I would have had to cover the overdraft before I could 'use' my money - it was a mess.
Reply With Quote
  Old  August 4th, 2017, 5:09pm     #7
mcclave is offline
mcclave
Grand Master Sweeper
 
mcclave's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 30,970
Glad your bank caught it!
Reply With Quote
  Old  August 4th, 2017, 5:16pm     #8
Qncterra is offline
Qncterra
Senior Master Sweeper
 
Qncterra's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,391
Location: West Central Florida
Most banks use a fraud profile software to flag what appears to unusual transactions. I remember last summer, while enroute to the airport for Central America, I stopped at a drive thru burger joint for a quick breakfast sandwich and bought gas at a nearby station. To my surprise, by the time I touched down later that day I had a text from the Bank that someone had tried to charge $600 through 1-800-Contacts. After I said that I wasn't me, they blocked the transaction and my card. Fortunately, I had two other credit cards with me. (Since I was traveling and had a travel advisory on the account, they agreed to work with me by using some additional verification, if I had a need before I came back, so I wasn't really inconvenienced that much. Still a pain to go through.)
Reply With Quote
  Old  August 4th, 2017, 10:26pm     #9
Laurie is offline
Laurie
Master Sweeper
 
Laurie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,018
Location: Va
This just happened to me a few weeks ago. One charge for $389 went through, but luckily my bank also suspected fraud after that. There were 4 iTunes attempts, one QVC for $269 ish, and one at Sears.com for $599. The first one that went through (an online cellular company) actually called me to verify shipping. Explained I did not order from them and they refunded my $ with in 15 minutes. Luckily hadn't shipped yet. I called these places and QVC still had the record of it even though it was declined. it had someone else's name, with my address and phone number. That name lived at the same address as the cell phone shipping info. The police here are involved. It esp creeps me out because they didn't just have my card number, but my name address and phone #. They used 2 different fake emails, with my name in them, trying to be me. And weird because this is not an acct that is used that much, and I've never had it out of my purse in the town we live in.. no stores, gas stations etc. The banks fraud dept doesn't seem to do much digging around, they will just refund the money, and gave me the info if I wanted to and suggested to call the local police. It happened to my daughter (different town) a few months ago also. It infuriates me that this can happen so easily, and no one has a clue how because there are so many ways to hack these days!
Reply With Quote
  Old  August 5th, 2017, 12:52am     #10
jgates8 is offline
jgates8
Senior Sweeper

 
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
This just happened to me a few weeks ago. One charge for $389 went through, but luckily my bank also suspected fraud after that. There were 4 iTunes attempts, one QVC for $269 ish, and one at Sears.com for $599. The first one that went through (an online cellular company) actually called me to verify shipping. Explained I did not order from them and they refunded my $ with in 15 minutes. Luckily hadn't shipped yet. I called these places and QVC still had the record of it even though it was declined. it had someone else's name, with my address and phone number. That name lived at the same address as the cell phone shipping info. The police here are involved. It esp creeps me out because they didn't just have my card number, but my name address and phone #. They used 2 different fake emails, with my name in them, trying to be me. And weird because this is not an acct that is used that much, and I've never had it out of my purse in the town we live in.. no stores, gas stations etc. The banks fraud dept doesn't seem to do much digging around, they will just refund the money, and gave me the info if I wanted to and suggested to call the local police. It happened to my daughter (different town) a few months ago also. It infuriates me that this can happen so easily, and no one has a clue how because there are so many ways to hack these days!
That one almost sounds more like someone that knows you personally or a keystroke logger on your computer. If your card just gets hacked in a retail setting like the big Target one a year or two ago, they won't have all of your personal data.

6/07? - $500 Airfare 2/08 - Disney Trip, 8/08 - Florida trip, 11/08 - Bike GPS, 3/09 - Allure bag w/Aveeno Products, 3/09 - Advil product, 5/09 - Tylenol Backpack, 7/09-$200 Pamida GC, 08/09-Beautifix Gift Box, 10/10-$250 Kelloggs, 9/11-OldWisc Packer win - 2 Club Tix/merch. 5/12-AC Trip & Macys/HD GCs, 8/12-2012 Harley Trike, 2014-$75 Dollar Tree, $25 Snickers. 2015-$300GC & 4 Country Inn Nights, Pepsi 3 $200 Live Nation Concert Cash.
Reply With Quote
  Old  August 5th, 2017, 2:49am     #11
CalicoGirl is offline
CalicoGirl
Master Sweeper
 
CalicoGirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,164
Location: The Wild West
My bank just sent me a new debit card cuz the old one may have been exposed somehow.
Reply With Quote
  Old  August 5th, 2017, 8:16am     #12
Laurie is offline
Laurie
Master Sweeper
 
Laurie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,018
Location: Va
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgates8 View Post
That one almost sounds more like someone that knows you personally or a keystroke logger on your computer. If your card just gets hacked in a retail setting like the big Target one a year or two ago, they won't have all of your personal data.
I know! It's all weird! It's a house with college students. We don't know this person or anyone associated with the college. We haven't lived in this small town very long and literally do not know many people, other than my husbands co-workers. My husband does not have a card to this acct. The guy has denied involvement. It's possible someone used his name (who would give their own name?). To understand our life makes it really weird to figure out how this happened. I don't use this particular acct here ever. We can't figure it out! The bank said to not worry about it since they cover 100%. I just need to know HOW it happens. I don't know what a keystroke logger is? Will have to look that up. I use only my laptop at home, with my secure wifi.

The ONLY thing i have thought about is that I just got a new Dell laptop and immediately had some issues. Someone from Dell had remote access to this laptop for a few hours. I pretty much watched everything he was doing, and always thought this was a safe thing to do.
Reply With Quote
  Old  August 5th, 2017, 11:02am     #13
Principessa is offline
Principessa
Master Sweeper
 
Principessa's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,559
Location: Las Vegas
I got hit as well. I had just received the debit card to my husbands account that week. I was helping get all medical bills paid.
I never took it outside of the home. I used it 3 times to pay healthcare providers.
We got a call that weekend the card was compromised. It was frozen.
We go to the bank, the person helping us acted like we were criminals. Insisting it was hacked.
We told her we had it a week and used it 3 times. My husband has banked thee for 30 years.

A month later we get a bill from one of the healthcare providers we had paid with that card.
To us that was the place that used the card.
Called the doctors office to verify I had spoken to their biller to pay the bill. She gave me a confirmation number and her name. Never put the transaction through. Too busy shopping!

We did get all the money back, but the hassle to resolve it all was terrible.

Now we pay all health care providers with money orders.

Our police department told us it is happening every few minutes, they cant even keep up.

I am glad yours was caught right away and your bank handled it quickly.

Please Support HS Foundation
Reply With Quote
  Old  August 5th, 2017, 11:43am     #14
stonybuff is offline
stonybuff
Senior Master Sweeper
 
stonybuff's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 8,630
similar Dell experience
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
I know! It's all weird! It's a house with college students. We don't know this person or anyone associated with the college. We haven't lived in this small town very long and literally do not know many people, other than my husbands co-workers. My husband does not have a card to this acct. The guy has denied involvement. It's possible someone used his name (who would give their own name?). To understand our life makes it really weird to figure out how this happened. I don't use this particular acct here ever. We can't figure it out! The bank said to not worry about it since they cover 100%. I just need to know HOW it happens. I don't know what a keystroke logger is? Will have to look that up. I use only my laptop at home, with my secure wifi.

The ONLY thing i have thought about is that I just got a new Dell laptop and immediately had some issues. Someone from Dell had remote access to this laptop for a few hours. I pretty much watched everything he was doing, and always thought this was a safe thing to do.
Hubby and I both have Dells. For a few years now we have been getting calls purporting to be from Dell and they quote the serial number off hubby's computer. We have reported it to Dell and gotten nowhere. We figure it's a Dell worker who stole it , because how else would they have his info?
As for credit cards, my son always used his Amex at a certain gas station. Credit card company called him to ask about charges for computer and electronics equipment at 2 places in the Bronx, about 1/2 hour from gas station. They were fraudulent charges and it could have only happened at the station.

Get $10 and unlimited cash bonuses using ebates. If you sign up with my link I also earn referral money. https://www.ebates.com/r/JFELDM53?eeid=35794. Shop online or in store using the app on your smartphone.
Reply With Quote
  Old  August 5th, 2017, 2:09pm     #15
Qncterra is offline
Qncterra
Senior Master Sweeper
 
Qncterra's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,391
Location: West Central Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgates8 View Post
That one almost sounds more like someone that knows you personally or a keystroke logger on your computer. If your card just gets hacked in a retail setting like the big Target one a year or two ago, they won't have all of your personal data.

Having investigated these frauds for years, I wouldn't say that they know the victim. That info is relatively easily accessible if they have the debit card info.

Also, to the poster who said that the bank told them that the card was hacked, odds are that the card was involved in a hacking. I believe there that some healthcare or health insurance providers were hacked in recent months.

Actually, in 2009, I visited a podiatrist only one time, but they required new patients to complete a profile online. Four years later, I received notice that their files were recently hacked and they were paying for a credit monitoring service to watch accounts.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 4:09pm.