Old  August 5th, 2017, 6:07pm     #16
CalicoGirl
Master Sweeper

I have stopped putting my SS # on any new medical/dental forms. I put N/A in the space instead. They have my insurance card number, so they don't really need it.
  Old  August 5th, 2017, 6:44pm     #17
CarolLB
Sweeper

Same here--mine was used in Great Britain. Now I have to wait 10 days to be reimbursed for one of the charges and my card is frozen.
  Old  August 7th, 2017, 9:26am     #18
Laurie
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonybuff View Post
Hubby and I both have Dells. For a few years now we have been getting calls purporting to be from Dell and they quote the serial number off hubby's computer. We have reported it to Dell and gotten nowhere. We figure it's a Dell worker who stole it , because how else would they have his info?
As for credit cards, my son always used his Amex at a certain gas station. Credit card company called him to ask about charges for computer and electronics equipment at 2 places in the Bronx, about 1/2 hour from gas station. They were fraudulent charges and it could have only happened at the station.
Yes, I've had calls from 'microsoft' saying they detect 'problems' on my computer. I just laugh and hang up. I've never had a call from anyone claiming to be from Dell. I've only initiated those calls, like this last one. I called tech support. But, I can only hope they have trustworthy people working for them. I think that's how much of the scamming happens though, from employees.
My eyes have definitely been opened about gas stations now!
  Old  August 7th, 2017, 9:27am     #19
Laurie
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qncterra View Post
Having investigated these frauds for years, I wouldn't say that they know the victim. That info is relatively easily accessible if they have the debit card info.

Also, to the poster who said that the bank told them that the card was hacked, odds are that the card was involved in a hacking. I believe there that some healthcare or health insurance providers were hacked in recent months.

Actually, in 2009, I visited a podiatrist only one time, but they required new patients to complete a profile online. Four years later, I received notice that their files were recently hacked and they were paying for a credit monitoring service to watch accounts.
I agree, I am almost 100% sure this is someone we do not know personally.
  Old  September 6th, 2017, 3:21pm     #20
cpnqn
Grand Master Sweeper

I'm so sorry this happened to you

Old  September 6th, 2017, 10:42pm     #21
Qncterra
Senior Master Sweeper

Well, Sorry to say that I got a new card a couple of months ago, and just got alert from bank today someone used the number somewhere out West to pay a cable bill by phone. We've already shut that one down. Now, I have to get the money back, because Bank says that I need to contact cable company, since it is the same one that I use. Hum-m-m-m-m.