Old  September 14th, 2017, 6:16am     #46
cookiegirl123
Senior Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post
I decided to be better safe than sorry and freeze ds's credit reports, but 2 sites are to busy and Experian wants him to send a certified or registered letter including his SSN, drivers licence, bank statement, etc. I don't think so. I will try the first two again late tonight and Experian again in a couple days.
Just an FYI for you, if you need to obtain a credit report in the future (and you most certainly should do that) you will have to go through all of those steps to obtain one if your credit is frozen. You may not have to do so with the credit monitoring service--you may be able to get the Equifax report but I have had issues getting my credit reports in the past since it is frozen and I have to send for it in the mail and have them send it back in the mail, which doesn't seem all that secure.
  Old  September 14th, 2017, 10:19am     #47
dopey
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post
I decided to be better safe than sorry and freeze ds's credit reports, but 2 sites are to busy and Experian wants him to send a certified or registered letter including his SSN, drivers licence, bank statement, etc. I don't think so. I will try the first two again late tonight and Experian again in a couple days.
Went back and tried again this morning and got the last pin. A bit of a pita, but I sure don't want to be one of the ones crying somewhere down the road.

https://ibotta.com/r/rztlcw
  Old  September 15th, 2017, 12:29pm     #48
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Not getting anywhere on freezes. Equifax comes up page not available... experian goes to another page where I'll try later.. and trans I can log in ( already had the account ) but keeps wanting me to buy their plan ( Maine law states it's free )...

Earn cash back while shopping with ebates - my referral https://www.ebates.com/r/BOMER92
  Old  September 18th, 2017, 2:26pm     #49
Annie
Grand Master Sweeper
Founding Member

I signed up for the free credit monitoring service. They sent me an email to finish enrolling. Well guess what, the link doesn't work! This is so ridiculous.
  Old  September 18th, 2017, 11:55pm     #50
JoniHaynes
Founding Member

Unhappy
I have all three credit reporting agencies' phone numbers...want to freeze my credit...can't get through to any of them. I actually have tried three different days...today I actually was on hold so long the batteries were depleted on my three house phones and my cell phone. This is so irritating! And, I fear things are just going to get worse as time goes on...our information is everywhere, and digitalization has made everything so wonderful...not!

Joni
  Old  September 19th, 2017, 4:48am     #51
mcclave
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoniHaynes View Post
I have all three credit reporting agencies' phone numbers...want to freeze my credit...can't get through to any of them. I actually have tried three different days...today I actually was on hold so long the batteries were depleted on my three house phones and my cell phone. This is so irritating! And, I fear things are just going to get worse as time goes on...our information is everywhere, and digitalization has made everything so wonderful...not!

Joni
Yes this breach is going to mess a lot of people up and I believe you are right it may get worse.

Late note: I finally got through to Transunion and was able to freeze my credit...no charge. However, after putting me through all the paces and wait time, Equifax had a message that said no agents are available to take your call...please try later. And, the Experian robot, after giving all my answers, said, we cannot complete your request at this time...please go online, and see the instructions for freezing your credit by mail. This is so freaking PIA!

Last edited by JoniHaynes; September 20th, 2017 at 1:09pm.
  Old  September 19th, 2017, 6:02am     #52
cookiegirl123
Senior Sweeper

Get this. I decided I would go ahead and sign up for the year of free monitoring anyway. It took forever to get the email and then I had to wait 48 more hours after enrolling. I went back after the 48 hours and it said that my credit status was locked and I would need to contact customer support at the number listed. I called and spent 3 hours on hold with them Sunday morning. I answered a million personal questions and told them everything that was in my credit history. They asked me things like when did you open your credit card as if I am supposed to remember the exact date that happened! After they got the answers to all of those personal questions, she put me on hold some more and came back and told me that the only way that the credit monitoring service would work would be if I unfroze my credit!

Unfreeze my credit? Are you serious? Why on earth would I unfreeze my credit? My credit has been frozen for years and I have credit monitoring currently through the state of SC (which will end in October) and it has been monitoring my credit even though it is frozen. My credit was frozen before I ever enrolled in that service and there was no issue. I cannot believe that they would honestly tell me to unfreeze my credit for the monitoring to work! What wonderful advice! I don't know if they just don't know what they are doing or what. At that point, I decided that I would just give up and forget about Trusted Id.

I attempted to contact Lifelock just to ask them about the credit monitoring with frozen credit. However, they had a message that said due to the recent event that they were experiencing calls times of longer than 30 minutes and I had already spent over three hours on the phone. I am thoroughly disgusted with the entire mess and I don't see too much being done about it either.
  Old  September 20th, 2017, 6:22am     #53
mcclave
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiegirl123 View Post
get this. I decided i would go ahead and sign up for the year of free monitoring anyway. It took forever to get the email and then i had to wait 48 more hours after enrolling. I went back after the 48 hours and it said that my credit status was locked and i would need to contact customer support at the number listed. I called and spent 3 hours on hold with them sunday morning. I answered a million personal questions and told them everything that was in my credit history. They asked me things like when did you open your credit card as if i am supposed to remember the exact date that happened! After they got the answers to all of those personal questions, she put me on hold some more and came back and told me that the only way that the credit monitoring service would work would be if i unfroze my credit!

Unfreeze my credit? Are you serious? Why on earth would i unfreeze my credit? My credit has been frozen for years and i have credit monitoring currently through the state of sc (which will end in october) and it has been monitoring my credit even though it is frozen. My credit was frozen before i ever enrolled in that service and there was no issue. I cannot believe that they would honestly tell me to unfreeze my credit for the monitoring to work! What wonderful advice! I don't know if they just don't know what they are doing or what. At that point, i decided that i would just give up and forget about trusted id.

I attempted to contact lifelock just to ask them about the credit monitoring with frozen credit. However, they had a message that said due to the recent event that they were experiencing calls times of longer than 30 minutes and i had already spent over three hours on the phone. I am thoroughly disgusted with the entire mess and i don't see too much being done about it either.
wow!
  Old  September 21st, 2017, 6:24am     #54
mcclave
Grand Master Sweeper

For weeks, Equifax customer service has been directing victims to a fake phishing site

https://www.theverge.com/platform/am...1&noRedirect=1
  Old  September 21st, 2017, 4:39pm     #55
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclave View Post
Late note: I finally got through to Transunion and was able to freeze my credit...no charge. However, after putting me through all the paces and wait time, Equifax had a message that said no agents are available to take your call...please try later. And, the Experian robot, after giving all my answers, said, we cannot complete your request at this time...please go online, and see the instructions for freezing your credit by mail. This is so freaking PIA!

Yes... after all the online info and even sending what they requested through the online sight, I get a message I must mail all the info to them!!

Earn cash back while shopping with ebates - my referral https://www.ebates.com/r/BOMER92
  Old  September 26th, 2017, 11:17am     #56
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Update: I contacted my state's attorney general's office because of receiving multiple po box numbers from Experian to send my info to...

Their response was to call up.. online didn't always recognize the address.

So I called and spent 3 minutes pressing buttons.. voila!! Freeze on!

Old  September 29th, 2017, 2:06pm     #57
lolatoo2
Senior Master Sweeper

I tried to freeze my account through Experian and it says I have to pay $5. The message said that the state of Missouri requires that I pay. That's BS.
  Old  September 30th, 2017, 8:32am     #58
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolatoo2 View Post
I tried to freeze my account through Experian and it says I have to pay $5. The message said that the state of Missouri requires that I pay. That's BS.
Our state attorney general's office wants us to contact them if something like that happens.. Maine says it is free and has a link to the info. Check on your state's website or contact your state's attorney general.

Old  September 30th, 2017, 10:15am     #59
ResourcePress
Grand Master Sweeper

What a mess!

Didn't the head of this company just resign?

And I saw an article on YAHOO and could not bear to read it. Title was something like...
Social Security numbers do not mean anything now and they have to come up with some other unique id/number.

UGHGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Wishing & hoping & thinking & praying, planning & dreaming... and entering!
  Old  September 30th, 2017, 9:29pm     #60
lolatoo2
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomar97 View Post
Our state attorney general's office wants us to contact them if something like that happens.. Maine says it is free and has a link to the info. Check on your state's website or contact your state's attorney general.
Thanks. I'll check into that.