Old  January 7th, 2010, 7:54am     #1
cman
Senior Master Sweeper

dell warranties
My dell warranty expires in two days. It is for hardware only and for $215 they will entend it for 4 years. I think I paid $125 for the first year.

I also have software warranty, which I paid about $225 and have used twice when my system crashed due to so many cookies, viruses, etc (life of a sweeper?). Both times I spent about 3 hours talking to computer engineer in India, the last one was great, spoke wonderful English (but why can't Dell use americans?) and cleaned it out, put in new virus MacFafee
virus protecor (mine was corrupted) and now I have ccleaner.

The question is does anyone have the Dell hardware warranty. They say if anything goes wrong someone will come to your house and replace it. I only have until the 9th to get the cheaper exension price, so your advice would be very helpful, as you have always been.
  Old  January 7th, 2010, 8:31pm     #2
Kashinka
Master Sweeper

I have had three Dell computers and for each of them I bought the 4-year warranty. I didn't like shelling out all that money, but on the few occasions I needed the service, I was VERY grateful that I did.

Dell-contracted technicians have come to my house a number of times--most recently, today! My video card blew out and needed to be replaced. On Tuesday evening I spoke to a Dell tech support person (they require this first), and she helped troubleshoot the problem. When she verified that the problem was with the video card, she authorized the release of a replacement (it's refurbished, but I suppose that's only fair, since the card I've been using is nearly 2 years old), and had it sent to the Dell contractor near me. He called today (Thursday) and came and replaced it.

Over the years I've had numerous experiences with Dell tech support. They have ranged from poor to fantastic. If you have an XPS machine, your tech support people are located in Phoenix (but I've had great experiences with people in the Phillipines and India). But compared to what else is available, I think the few hundred bucks is more than worth the peace of mind. So, my recommendation is: go for it.
  Old  January 8th, 2010, 7:05am     #3
Tenderhawk
Senior Sweeper

Thank you so much
  Old  January 8th, 2010, 8:38am     #4
PanamaKay
Master Sweeper

I also purchased the longest warranty available. About one year after purchase, computer started making loud noises. It was one of the fans, and after a short phone converation, they dispatched a tech to my home and fixed it quickly. I am very satisfied with the warranty, and think it is worth it.

My Wins
  Old  January 9th, 2010, 7:01am     #5
cman
Senior Master Sweeper

thanks I bought it today and added for $69 an additional warranty in case it's stolen or if I spill coffee on it, or one of my dd's friends wrecks it. I do not like friends using it, but they "Have" to.
  Old  January 11th, 2010, 11:06pm     #6
sascha_b
Grand Master Sweeper

Just a heads up regarding Dell. If your computer is older, regardless of warranty, they may no longer be able to get the part. My computer is just under 6 years old. It was a true workhouse that I paid out the nose for with mega-memory, and Dell is no longer able to even get a replacement fan for it. I attempted to order in early November, and it keeps getting pushed out. Latest notice was for early Feb., and they would give autotcalls pushing the date out every few days. They can't even get the cancellation right, and I have yet to be reimbursed for my CC charge. I think their customer service has gone down the tubes.

Needless to say, my new replacement computer is not a Dell, although I've been a faithful customer for over 15 years.

Just something to think about. And as evidenced by the other posts, it appears YMMV.

"Beliefs do not affect facts. But facts should affect beliefs, if you are rational." ~ Ricky Gervais
  Old  January 11th, 2010, 11:37pm     #7
skarydrunkguy
Senior Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanamaKay View Post
I also purchased the longest warranty available. About one year after purchase, computer started making loud noises. It was one of the fans, and after a short phone converation, they dispatched a tech to my home and fixed it quickly. I am very satisfied with the warranty, and think it is worth it.
Cost of fan = $8. Cost of googling how to install a fan = $0.

Cost of Dell warranty = $150 per year.

Yikes.
  Old  January 11th, 2010, 11:38pm     #8
skarydrunkguy
Senior Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sascha_b View Post
Just a heads up regarding Dell. If your computer is older, regardless of warranty, they may no longer be able to get the part. My computer is just under 6 years old. It was a true workhouse that I paid out the nose for with mega-memory, and Dell is no longer able to even get a replacement fan for it. I attempted to order in early November, and it keeps getting pushed out. Latest notice was for early Feb., and they would give autotcalls pushing the date out every few days. They can't even get the cancellation right, and I have yet to be reimbursed for my CC charge. I think their customer service has gone down the tubes.

Needless to say, my new replacement computer is not a Dell, although I've been a faithful customer for over 15 years.

Just something to think about. And as evidenced by the other posts, it appears YMMV.
False. I've been a PC tech for 20+ years and worked on computers that are 20+ years old. I've never ever had any difficulty getting parts for anything. Ever. They may not be cost effective, but they're available always.
  Old  January 12th, 2010, 12:03am     #9
dewer421
Senior Sweeper

When I bought my Dell laptop we got the 3 year warranty. Within 6 months we were having motherboard problems (which in most cases my husband would've just fixed, but because of the warranty we let Dell do it).

They came out 3 times with different parts and after the 3rd time just shipped me a whole NEW system! We swapped out the hard drive to save time and have loved the computer ever since. They even extended the 3 year warranty to cover 3 years from the new laptop.

I Dell!

Not just another Mommy Blog! Visit me at http://sanityisforthosewithoutchildren.blogspot.com/
  Old  January 12th, 2010, 12:11am     #10
OHANA
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarydrunkguy View Post
False. I've been a PC tech for 20+ years and worked on computers that are 20+ years old. I've never ever had any difficulty getting parts for anything. Ever. They may not be cost effective, but they're available always.
Cool, i will keep you in mind when i need to do any work on my PC. I would rather do it myself any way. Why pay a plumber to put a .59cent washer in your faucet. Eh!
  Old  January 12th, 2010, 7:48pm     #11
Kashinka
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarydrunkguy View Post
Cost of fan = $8. Cost of googling how to install a fan = $0.

Cost of Dell warranty = $150 per year.

Yikes.
You're a PC technician. Not everyone is. Many people are uncomfortable or scared of opening up their PC and removing/adding parts.

It may seem dumb to you, but you probably would be scared to do my job, too.
  Old  January 12th, 2010, 8:28pm     #12
PanamaKay
Master Sweeper

Right, if you are a PC tech, that is fine. But abuot 90% of us are NOT. And, if I had to take my PC to the local repair center: first of all, it cost $150 JUST to diagose the problem. then, they charge for parts and for labor. For me, to replace the fan would have cost more than the warranty cost.

I understand what you are saying, but I am not a PC tech. It is just like with a car. If my car breaks down, I have to take it to the repair shop, I cannot fix it myself and I do not have a relative or close friend who can diagnose and fix it for me.

So, the warranty was a good deal for me. And I will continue to buy them. If you want to volunteer to fix all my future computer problems for free, or lets say under $25, then I will quit buying the warranty.

My Wins
  Old  January 12th, 2010, 8:42pm     #13
fastfreddie1959
Grand Master Sweeper

Arrow I can explain in english on how you can fix yourself.
Hardware repair is easy if it's explained to you in words you would understand.
Just a matter of some simple everyday house hold tools.
It looks a lot harder then it really is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanamaKay View Post
Right, if you are a PC tech, that is fine. But abuot 90% of us are NOT. And, if I had to take my PC to the local repair center: first of all, it cost $150 JUST to diagose the problem. then, they charge for parts and for labor. For me, to replace the fan would have cost more than the warranty cost.

I understand what you are saying, but I am not a PC tech. It is just like with a car. If my car breaks down, I have to take it to the repair shop, I cannot fix it myself and I do not have a relative or close friend who can diagnose and fix it for me.

So, the warranty was a good deal for me. And I will continue to buy them. If you want to volunteer to fix all my future computer problems for free, or lets say under $25, then I will quit buying the warranty.

Old  January 13th, 2010, 3:12am     #14
milo
Senior Master Sweeper

I used to like Acer but I've had a same problem since it was new, sent in twice, paid s/h, went without and it still doesn't work right - same problem remains unfixed. i can't get to talk to customer service now, my warranty is expired and I couldn't buy another when they haven't ever fixed anything right under warranty. So their offer is to shop it for $199 ... please. The last time I sent it in they sent it back the same day, didn't keep it there overnight or retest it, and didn't fix any of my problems. I am irate that I cannot speak to customer service. any ideas or suggestions?

Liam The Wonder Pug
  Old  January 13th, 2010, 3:30am     #15
fastfreddie1959
Grand Master Sweeper

Question Maybe we can help..
We have a good track record here and plenty of techs.
Shot in the dark and maybe save you some money.
We just need to know what the problem is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo View Post
I used to like Acer but I've had a same problem since it was new, sent in twice, paid s/h, went without and it still doesn't work right - same problem remains unfixed. i can't get to talk to customer service now, my warranty is expired and I couldn't buy another when they haven't ever fixed anything right under warranty. So their offer is to shop it for $199 ... please. The last time I sent it in they sent it back the same day, didn't keep it there overnight or retest it, and didn't fix any of my problems. I am irate that I cannot speak to customer service. any ideas or suggestions?