Old  April 13th, 2006, 8:32pm     #46
pugnrandy
Master Sweeper

Location: Hill Air Force Base, Utah (Alabama born and bred). Hubby retires Novemeber 3, 2006. Headin' south!
What are you gonna do with all those chickens? Hubby is retiring in November and wants to raise chickens, ducks and rabbits to slaughter and eat. I told him anything I have to feed I will name and I will NOT bring anything to my dinner table that has a name!

"Sometimes our light goes out but is blown into a flame by another human being. Each of us owes deepest thanks to those who have rekindled this light." ~Albert Schweitzer

My Wins
  Old  April 13th, 2006, 8:32pm     #47
OoODaisyMaeOoO
Senior Master Sweeper

Ah they're precious! I'm so happy for you!!
  Old  April 13th, 2006, 8:33pm     #48
FLSportsMom
Senior Master Sweeper

omg.....

The heck with Bubba, I'm in love with these CHICKS! How ADORABLE!

Dorothy, THANK YOU for sharing this. What a beautiful thing!

Old  April 13th, 2006, 8:37pm     #49
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy
Aww... they are adorable Thanks for sharing. What are you going to do with them all...
I'm down to 8 hens and my lame one, Lacey, my beautiful Lacey, is fading. Her ticker ain't so hot.

So I'm going to keep about 7 girls and 1 boy. Which boy you say? The one who has already bonded and is already leading the girls to water and food. He's got great instincts and Mynxdog asked her Rudy rooster if it'd be all right with him if I named the boy-chick of his that we keep ... Rudy. She said, "he'd be honored."

P.S. None of the gray chicks are males. We kept the mahogany chick, Russell. It turned out all the chicks with dark legs were female and all the chicks with caucasian colored legs were males. Had about 5 males in all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arouet
Duknuk, they are the cutest things ever, especially that one lying on his back looking at you. And the captions were great too.

But I keep focusing on that thermometer. Don't tell me you have to take their temp when they are sooooo little. EEEEK I used to feel guilty when I had to take the temp of a puppy or kitten.
Funny.

Oh, you're serious ... the thermometer was in there to help get the height of the clip-on lamp adjusted to keep an area in the brooder tub at 95 to 99 F. Once they found it, they laid all over it, propping up their heads or a leg or wing. So I left it. It's useless when they're laying on it, as the thermometer thinks the temp. has dropped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugnrandy
What are you gonna do with all those chickens? Hubby is retiring in November and wants to raise chickens, ducks and rabbits to slaughter and eat. I told him anything I have to feed I will name and I will NOT bring anything to my dinner table that has a name!
It's a law ... thou shalt not kill and eat what thou hast given a name to. Does he know how much work it is to dress poultry? And if you so much as nick the gall bladder, forget it. Throw that bird out.

Last edited by duknuk; June 3rd, 2006 at 6:02pm.

....duknuk's chicks are here!
  Old  April 13th, 2006, 8:48pm     #50
maria1234
Master Sweeper

I had a baby chick when I was a kid that grew into a lovely hen that I named Patches.

I loved your pictures!!! Too cute. Congratulations and enjoy them!

Maria
  Old  April 13th, 2006, 8:50pm     #51
sissy76
Master Sweeper

What a great easter thread!
  Old  April 13th, 2006, 8:53pm     #52
Styflan
Senior Master Sweeper

OMG, Duknuk, those baby chicks are so adorable!!! It's funny that they are all different colors. I usually see pics of a whole box full of baby yellow chicks. I guess the yellow ones make for good publicity shots.

Old  April 13th, 2006, 8:54pm     #53
GTBuzz
Grand Master Sweeper
Princess Yellow Jacket

How cute!!

I am particularly fond of the yellow ones with the black stripe down the middle of their head(s). How stylin'

LipSense & SeneGence beauty, OLS members get free shipping. PM for details.
Buzz's Trade List
  Old  April 13th, 2006, 8:57pm     #54
jill92802
Master Sweeper

Thank you for sharing!
Us city-folk don't get to see that kinda thing often Very interesting!
And they are the CUTEST things!
  Old  April 13th, 2006, 9:32pm     #55
Maineiac
Senior Master Sweeper
Founding Member

Wow! This is just incredible...I can't thank you enough for lifting my spirits. Beautiful...
  Old  April 13th, 2006, 9:32pm     #56
jesslag
Grand Master Sweeper

Thank you sooo much for sharing they are adorable. My four year old was looking at the pics with me and now he wants a chick....

Even the smallest envelope is heavy for an elf.
  Old  April 13th, 2006, 9:46pm     #57
arouet
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by duknuk

Funny.

Oh, you're serious ... the thermometer was in there to help get the height of the clip-on lamp adjusted to keep an area in the brooder tub at 95 to 99 F. Once they found it, they laid all over it, propping up their heads or a leg or wing. (suddenly feeling hunger) So I left it. It's useless when they're laying on it, as the thermometer thinks the temp. has dropped.

Thank you, I know that I'll sleep better tonight knowing that. And I know that they will too.

Any animal, no matter what kind, that came in our hospital for any reason had to be temped. So whenever I see a thermometer it's my first thought.

I wonder why they would all become attached to something like that???
  Old  April 13th, 2006, 10:17pm     #58
phredj
Master Sweeper

Awww! Thanks so much for sharing, Duknuk. Your pictures warmed my heart.
  Old  April 13th, 2006, 10:25pm     #59
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by arouet
Thank you, I know that I'll sleep better tonight knowing that. And I know that they will too.

Any animal, no matter what kind, that came in our hospital for any reason had to be temped. So whenever I see a thermometer it's my first thought.

I wonder why they would all become attached to something like that???
It's just something there and it's under the heat source and they like to lay their heads on something; I guess like we use pillows. I have a prehistoric rock with small round rocks inbedded in it at the other end of the brooder tub and some of them go over there to investigate. They climb and peck.

One of the chicks that just hatched has a deformed leg. The joint is unable to straighten. She looks miserable and tries to drag herself around on it. I hope she passes peacefully during the night. Life is so precious and I'm kinda sad about this one. The last chicks to hatch seem to be the weakest and smallest.

....duknuk's chicks are here!
  Old  April 13th, 2006, 10:30pm     #60
jamieb29
Master Sweeper

Great pictures! I have never seen baby chicks like that before. Wish I lived on a farm so we could have some. They are so cute!! Now I don't know if I can eat eggs again...

Tags
chickens, chicks, coops, eggs, sex