Old  September 6th, 2018, 9:54am     #1
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Gonna be one of those days
Internet is off and on AGAIN.. called before about the issue.. messaged on FB .. took 3 weeks before someone finally called and of course I was in the middle of doing something outside and couldn't rush in to get them the # off the modem.. and haven't gotten back to them.. It's bad enough we only get DSL, but service is bad and price is high! Tech disconnected all our DSL lines but one because of problems ( his solution which did nothing but leave us stuck to not being able to move our modem to another room like we want to ).. Any time we have issues, they change the modem.. which really does nothing.

Then on top of fighting with the internet, I get an email thanking me for joining Groupon and one to activate my account! This with my sweeps email addy!

I got on chat and the person said, yes, that email address was used to open an account "typo" yeah, right.. so they closed the request.

What next???

Earn cash back while shopping with ebates - my referral https://www.ebates.com/r/BOMER92
  Old  September 6th, 2018, 11:10am     #2
caseycupcake
Grand Master Sweeper

Is it Verizon DSL? Sis has been w/o internet for nearly a week now. Before that, her landline was acting up. Deafening dial tone while having a conversation.

So while her phone was down, she used her tracfone. Then the phone came back but lost the internet. Of course, she now needs to buy more data for her tracfone, but w/o internet... It's a vicious cycle!

Hope the day gets better for you
  Old  September 6th, 2018, 11:45am     #3
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

No... we used to have Fairpoint which was not the greatest.. but now Consolidated Communications bought out Fairpoint and they have to be the worst!

Earn cash back while shopping with ebates - my referral https://www.ebates.com/r/BOMER92
  Old  September 6th, 2018, 11:58am     #4
bigskwinner
Grand Master Sweeper

we keep having power surges here... happening quite a lot this year acutally

my wins 2014
MY 2016 wins
MY 2017 wins
mY 2018 Wins
you JELLY?
  Old  September 6th, 2018, 1:20pm     #5
Ashook
Senior Master Sweeper

..before we moved here I had that issue all. the. time. Every time it rained, humid, too hot or too cold, like the Three Little Bears, weather had to be juuust right...the wiring was underground as it turned out, they ran new wiring (free of charge!) above ground and we never had the issue again...
Could it be weather related for you?

Old  September 6th, 2018, 1:30pm     #6
mcclave
Grand Master Sweeper

Same here AT&T DSL! I have been fighting these people for years. It's working o.k. right now (Knock Wood) but the amount of money they have wasted sending tech people out here to pretend to fix a problem that doesn't exist. Yes their solution a lot of times is to replace the modem.

What is really happening is they are overselling the slots out here and we get too many people on one box and it slows down or doesn't work at all. The last time I was on the phone almost everyday for 6 months for hours at a time doing this trying that and they sent tech people out here about 12 times.

What ends up happening is people get fed up and cancel their service and it finally comes back to where it works again. Once you cancel they don't allow you to get it again. I always just tuff it out because they aren't getting rid of me that easily.

I let them know I know what is really going on and they always give some big mouthful of junk because they will be financially liable if they admit it.

When I first started sweeping we only had dial-up I remember when DSL became available out here I was on the waiting list for over a year. I'm not complaining cause I love not being in the city but still love anything that's better than dial-up!

Oh yes I also have about 6 routers that the techs didn't take with them when they left and there is nothing wrong with them so that was nice!

Old  September 6th, 2018, 1:53pm     #7
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashook View Post
..before we moved here I had that issue all. the. time. Every time it rained, humid, too hot or too cold, like the Three Little Bears, weather had to be juuust right...the wiring was underground as it turned out, they ran new wiring (free of charge!) above ground and we never had the issue again...
Could it be weather related for you?
Some may be.. but it's all above ground.. nothing goes underground around here. And once I actually got a good supervisor way up ( different company ) who said there were two of us with issues and after a while they found a switch that was iffy. But it's not just the internet... their phone service maybe over-loaded.. other times it told me the connection couldn't go through.. then the rest of the time I got disconnected after pressing all those 1's and 2's and punching in my phone #. Also.. last time I was "excalated" from the phone tech and from FB several times before I finally received a call back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclave View Post
Same here AT&T DSL! I have been fighting these people for years. It's working o.k. right now (Knock Wood) but the amount of money they have wasted sending tech people out here to pretend to fix a problem that doesn't exist. Yes their solution a lot of times is to replace the modem.

What is really happening is they are overselling the slots out here and we get too many people on one box and it slows down or doesn't work at all. The last time I was on the phone almost everyday for 6 months for hours at a time doing this trying that and they sent tech people out here about 12 times.

What ends up happening is people get fed up and cancel their service and it finally comes back to where it works again. Once you cancel they don't allow you to get it again. I always just tuff it out because they aren't getting rid of me that easily.

I let them know I know what is really going on and they always give some big mouthful of junk because they will be financially liable if they admit it.

When I first started sweeping we only had dial-up I remember when DSL became available out here I was on the waiting list for over a year. I'm not complaining cause I love not being in the city but still love anything that's better than dial-up!

Oh yes I also have about 6 routers that the techs didn't take with them when they left and there is nothing wrong with them so that was nice!
Yes.. we started with dial-up here as well. And I have several modems in a pile that the tech changed out telling me he's sure there's no problem with that!

I posted on FB .. someone in another town in the state is having issues today as well.. The old company had a message machine telling people there was an issue so we didn't have to keep trying to get tech support.. this one... nothing. Also see what you see.. a huge slow-down in speed which we associate with the time of day and school / work being out.

Old  September 6th, 2018, 2:27pm     #8
ttm
Master Sweeper

Wink
When voters continually support corporations instead of their own interests - this is what happens. People need to start voting for what is good for themselves, their family and Americans as a whole, instead of corporations and billionaires. Just my $.02

Aloha TT
www.HowToSweepstakes.com
www.FreeHawaiianScreensavers.com
Please visit sponsor links - your clicks keep it free!
  Old  September 6th, 2018, 3:06pm     #9
jas11563
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttm View Post
When voters continually support corporations instead of their own interests - this is what happens. People need to start voting for what is good for themselves, their family and Americans as a whole, instead of corporations and billionaires. Just my $.02

I totally agree. I am stuck with Cablevision.... horror!!!! Want to try FIOS as I can get awesome introductory deals... however not in my area, I can this but not that, and FIOS internet - nope, not wired in my area. So, I stay with Cablevision, pay over $200 for slow service and basic cable.
Then one day driving home, I see the FIOS truck pulling up to a pole, RIGHT ACROSS from my house. I embarrass my son, cause I pull over and nearly tackle the FIOS guy. When am I going to be wired in, this is awesome..... he is looking at me like I am crazy. With THE tone, you know the one, unexploded bomb - disaster imminent tone, he tells me that the box is wired for all the FIOS service including Internet. I am whipping out my phone ready to order on the spot, when he says which is your house? I point across the street, and he shakes his head... I cannot get FIOS internet, because my township, like a minicounty, is NOT allowing it.

I NEVER voted to allow them to make that decision.

So I can see the box on the pole everytime I look out the front window, and now I know what it is I notice it every day! But FIOS cannot wire across the street, even though the Cablevision box is on the same side as the FIOS box and their wires cross the street to get here!!!!

Old  September 6th, 2018, 6:33pm     #10
dopey
Grand Master Sweeper

My service has been all right, but have had trouble with websites. At Amazon the search results wouldn't load, on my Wal-Mart app I couldn't get past the homepage, and I just tried to order a new couch cover from home reserve and I kept getting the message "Generic Street address and postal code do not match.". Oh, and all the saved items in my homedepot cart disapeared. That was fun trying to remember every item that ds needs to build his paver patio, and there are a lot of items.

https://ibotta.com/r/rztlcw
  Old  September 6th, 2018, 8:17pm     #11
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas11563 View Post
I totally agree. I am stuck with Cablevision.... horror!!!! Want to try FIOS as I can get awesome introductory deals... however not in my area, I can this but not that, and FIOS internet - nope, not wired in my area. So, I stay with Cablevision, pay over $200 for slow service and basic cable.
Then one day driving home, I see the FIOS truck pulling up to a pole, RIGHT ACROSS from my house. I embarrass my son, cause I pull over and nearly tackle the FIOS guy. When am I going to be wired in, this is awesome..... he is looking at me like I am crazy. With THE tone, you know the one, unexploded bomb - disaster imminent tone, he tells me that the box is wired for all the FIOS service including Internet. I am whipping out my phone ready to order on the spot, when he says which is your house? I point across the street, and he shakes his head... I cannot get FIOS internet, because my township, like a minicounty, is NOT allowing it.

I NEVER voted to allow them to make that decision.

So I can see the box on the pole everytime I look out the front window, and now I know what it is I notice it every day! But FIOS cannot wire across the street, even though the Cablevision box is on the same side as the FIOS box and their wires cross the street to get here!!!!

Maine, NH and I believe VT are in the same mess... our legislatures voted to accept Fairpoint way back when everyone was yelling no.. then came a mess... and now they agreed to the sale to the new phone company... which is another mess! For us, I think it's basically we are very rural states and no one wants to spend money wiring us up! Some towns have cable... the closest is two towns over from us. Not worth their money to run wire out this way. Telephone company wants to stop wiring houses for landlines - for now in the larger cities... but those of us in the sticks with spotty or no cell service are worried that's the first step.

You see, the masses seem to think because you can get this , that and the other thing very easily in NY, Los Angeles, etc... that the rest of the states are the same. No clue that cell phone is still futuristic to us... high speed internet is a dream.. and electric cars can't even get us to town and back on a charge!

Old  September 6th, 2018, 10:27pm     #12
jas11563
Master Sweeper

I am sorry, Mary!

I know how Maine can be, we almost moved there and spent some time there one winter, checking it out. It would be nice if one of those towering "pine trees" appeared near you, you know the ones that have fake branches and are really phone towers!!!

But you can honestly lay claim to the biggest and ferocious black flies I have ever encountered!
  Old  September 7th, 2018, 9:10am     #13
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas11563 View Post
I am sorry, Mary!

I know how Maine can be, we almost moved there and spent some time there one winter, checking it out. It would be nice if one of those towering "pine trees" appeared near you, you know the ones that have fake branches and are really phone towers!!!

But you can honestly lay claim to the biggest and ferocious black flies I have ever encountered!
Yes! Those we have!!!! And mosquitos that are around even in the winter!

Old  September 7th, 2018, 10:58am     #14
plazamama
Senior Master Sweeper

Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttm View Post
Well stated.