Old  June 12th, 2007, 7:18pm     #1
KISSaholic4life
Grand Master Sweeper

Talking KISSaholic4life at Dearborn Convention City!
18th Annual Sweepstakes Convention Dearborn Convention City!

I want to start this by saying I will probably forget to mention some people - it's not intentional. Please forgive me if I don't mention you by name - but keep in mind you'll still be in my memories for ever and ever!

I had an AWESOME time! I haven't had so much fun in long time. I can't say enough about how much I loved meeting all of you at the convention. Everyone was so friendly. One thing a lot of my online friends don't really know about me is that I'm not very good at meeting new people, especially in big groups like the convention - but the ones I met at the convention made me feel real comfortable and more at ease than usual. I know a few people were expecting me to have a loud rock-star type of personality - I do get louder (but hopefully not obnoxious) the more we meet. Besides, I didn't want to freak ya'll out with flash-pots, fog effects and flying confetti just yet.

Anyways, did I mention the convention and the people there were AWESOME!

Four states in 21 hours!

I took the Greyhound bus from Duluth, MN to Detroit, MI. I left Duluth at 8am on Wednesday and arrived in Detroit at about 6:30 am on Thursday. It's not the best transportation to take - but it is economical and sometimes entertaining. I didn't get much sleep the nite before the trip, and I didn't sleep very much on the bus trip - I think I had a total of 5 hours of sleep from the time I got up on Tues til I went to bed on Thursday nite. The trip was pretty much uneventful until the last leg of the it. I had a change of bus in St Paul, MN and another one in Chicago, IL. I had a 4 hour layover in Chicago and didn't really do much - it was getting too late to really do anything. I found a small local sub shop (I was starving for some real food - Greyhound seems to have an exclusive contract with McDonalds, I hate fast food!) and had a sandwhich, walked around a bit then went back to the bus station.

The entertainment part of the trip began when we left Chicago. The Scott Weiland look-a-like that sat in front of me provided the entertainment for my 6 hour trip from Chicago to Detroit. He was obvioiusly on some type of drugs. As soon as we pulled out, the guy took one of the small plastic trash bags that the bus provided and proceded to put it on his head. When he started to do that, I turned to the lady next to me and said "there's our entertainment for the trip". The bag was slightly smaller than his head, so the more he put it on and the more it ripped. He ended up doing that with about 3 bags, he eventually got one stretched enough to fit over his head. He made the final adjustments using the window as a mirror. It was midnite when we left so you could see a reflection somewhat. After awhile he took his hat off, and ran his fingers thru his hair and pulled on his hair to try and spike it. Despite his hair being greasy enough, his hair didn't really spike that well for him. After awhile, he also used some of the ice from his beverage to try and get his hair to spike. He went back to putting bags on his head for awhile. Later, he took a few of the torn up bags and tore them up even more, it looked like he was trying to make some designs with the torn bags. Then is was time to scratch his head and spike his hair again. That still didn't work out so he did some artwork for us. His finger was a bit greasy from his head, he took it and make some design on the window. You could see the where the window was clean and where is grease work was. He eventually ran out of grease on his finger and his artwork wasn't done yet. So he stuck his finger in his mouth to wet it and continued on with his art. He did that several times until his masterpiece was done. Next it was time to play with his light that he brought. He had a little blue led light. He used that to shine on everything he could see - the window, the chair in front of him, the floor, fellow passengers, the ceiling etc. Then it was time to stare at the sky - he did that a lot when ever we stopped for a break. Then it was time to play with the light again. Then he played with the reading lights above him - turning them on and off, then on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off as fast has he could. Then it was back to the led light again. All of this happened from about midnite until we reached our stop in Detroit.

The only other entertainment I had was watching the movie Detroit Rock City on my iPod.

My trip consisted of 5 different busses. I took to local Duluth busses to get to Greyhound, then took 3 different busses to get to Detroit. I went from Superior, WI to Duluth, MN, Duluth to St Paul, MN, St Paul to Chicago, IL, Chicago to Detroit, MI. Inbetween those stops, we stopped for breaks in several towns in MN, WI, IL and MI.

Dearborn Convention City!

I made it to Detroit around 6:30 am on Thursday - and the first OLS'rs I saw was KB and Panda(antisocial) - they were kind enough to come and pick me up and take me to Dearborn Convention City. Since it was still several hours away from checking into the hotel, KB let me take a shower in her room - KB's room was the first of a few rooms that I ended up being nude in while at the convention. The 3 of us went to breakfast and had the Sticky buns french toast - which is now known as 'The Elevator Breakfast'.

After breakfast I got to meet quite a few OLS'rs and tons more sweepers as they arrived for the convention. I got my registration packet for the convention - it's official! I'm all set for the 18th Annual Sweepstakes Convention! Brent who?

The Meet & Greet was held later that evening and I met even more OLS'rs. Even though no one from OLS had met me in person, I was easy to spot for some reason. I had a lot of people come up to me and say 'Hey I know you!' Thruought the convention I ended up meeting -

KB, Panda, Taz, TinyMoMo, GeminiLion, Binski, Kat, BeaniePrincess, TDawg, Tom-2, Ked and his lovely wife Nancy, Pamcakes, UCLAfan, MotownMama, ColJim and the Col, Adrianita and dh, PurplePassion126 and bf, BleedingHrt, AKtrading, Joolzie, an OLS lurker (please come out and post!) and a lot of others that I don't remember the names of - I'm terrible with names, I usually ended up calling people by their OLS name instead of their real name.

Have I told you that the OLS people that I met were AWESOME?

After the meet and greet I went up to my room and went to bed. From the time I woke up on Tuesday morning until I went to bed on Thursday nite - I had about 5 hours of sleep. Rumor has it that a bunch of OLS're went out and partied becuase when I went to breakfast the next morning, a sweeper came up to me and asked if I went out and partied with 'that one online group'. I asked her if she meant OLS - she said yup, that's the group.

I volunteered to be a vendors helper - only one of the vendors I was to be a helper for showed up. Being a helper was pretty fun - I got to meet a lot of sweepers from around the country - and Canada too! I heard some great stories about wins. Most if not all of the vendors had raffles. You could tell the hard-core sweepers from the rest of the sweepers when people bought raffle tickets - the hard-core sweepers had their rituals and certain ways of folding their tickets for the raffles.

Session #1

We had a few speakers for the first session - a representative from the post office came in and gave us some great advice on mailing procedures and stuff. I think a lot of sponsors should have her come in and give them advice on how to mail out prizes - there would be a lot less lost and ripped packages. Again, you could tell the hard-core sweepers from the rest of us. The hard-core ones brought their mail-in entries to the lady so she could bring them to the post office.

There were tons of prizes that were given away during the session. We had about 8 or 9 OLS'rs at our table and 4 of them - including me - won a prize. GeminiLion, TinyMoMo and TDawg each won a prize and I won a backpack that was loaded! Every pocket was stuffed with something. Inside was - hundreds of hand-made envelopes (500+), a huge variety of greeting cards (100+), a packet of pens, 3 1/2 X 5 cards (100+), recipe cards, 3 t-shirts, a hat, a watch, ski goggles, glue sticks, lots of stickers, a couple of magnets, a notepad, a VHS tape with behind the scenes stuff of football players, an NFL game for one of the Nintendo systems, a PS2 game 'Tak And The Power Of Juju'. When I got home and showed Wendy and Alex my wins - Alex snagged the PS2 game, the watch and 2 of the t-shirts. Wendy snagged the other t-shirt - for some reason she loves to watch WWF/WWE wrestling - and the t-shirt she got was a WWE shirt. One of the reasons I wanted to go to the convention was to win some snail mail supplies - I want to get back into doing some snail sweeps again.

Tiny was the 2nd winner at our table and she started our ritual for us OLS winners - when one of us one won a prize we got up and ran around our table and high-fived everyone. Starting in the afternoon session and during the rest of the convention - people from surrounding tables that won would run over to our table and high-five us! Al Sanders, ooooops I mean Al Sayward - the guy that was running the convention made several comments when our table was winning something about running a few miles by the time the convention was over. The videographer that was there got us on camera several times during the convention doing our high-five ritual, the huddle we had, the song that was sung, a few OLS'rs even got interviewed. OLS REPRESENTED!

During the afternoon session KB, BeaniPrincess, TDawg, Binski, Tom-2, MotownMama and GeminiLion from our table each won a prize!

Some of us went to Baileys Pub & Grill. The food was great! The service kinda sucked, but the food was great and huge portions. Some of the drinks were huge too - did ya see the pics of one of the margaritas they serve? There's a pic of them in the pics thread.

For a chuckle or three - Skidmarks on my heart - well almost. Thank god for seatbelts!

During the Saturday morning session Pamcakes, MotownMama and Tom-2 from our table each won a prize.

A lot of other OLS'rs that were sitting at other tables also won prizes.

After the Saturday morning session we had a break for several hours. TinyMoMo, TDawg and I headed to the Ford Museum, they were going to a factory tour and I went for the Rock Stars' Cars & Guitars Exhibit.

Rock Stars Cars And Guitars/Henry Ford Museum

The Henry Ford Museum started a new exhibit on Saturday called Rock Stars Cars & Guitars. It featured several cars and a lot of guitars related to various muscians/singers. The reason I went was because of the KISS Plymouth Prowler car and the 3 KISS guitars that they had on display. Quite a few other cool cars there too, John Lennons Psychodellic rolls, a U2 car, ZZTop cars and others. Among the other guitars there were guitars used by ZZTop, Bo Diddley, BBKing, John Lennon, Rick Nielson, Jack Black, Jimi Hendrix, Chuck BerryThe rest of the museum was pretty good. They had a lot of different displays there besides cars. Airplanes, furniture, a 'home of the future' made in the 1940's, various displays of the different decades, a Guitar Heroe's II display - the musical act that was featured with a huge cardboard cutout? KISS etc. Among the well known or historical vehicles was the car that Kennedy was assinated in, the car that Reagan got into when he was shot, the bus that Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat. When I joined the site, I joined after the 'Weinermobile' sweep so I missed out on that. So I made one myself. They had a machine there that squirted plastic into a mold and when the mold opened the plastic was in the form of the weinermobile - so now I have one . I looked for a Goldfish wallet maker but didn't see one .

Saturday Nite Banquet

DRESS CODE: Casual during all of the convention sessions except for the Saturday Nite Banquet - please dress up (no jeans please). Jacket and tie are optional. Ladies this is your time to wear your pretiest outfit.

The above is what was stated in a newsletter that the convention comittee sent out to everyone attending. I was a bit nervous because the only clothes I wear are jeans and t-shirts and when I told someone before I left for the convention what I was wear I just heard a bunch of laughing. I was wearing KISS from head to toe (some pics are in the pic thread). A lot of what I wore is stuff that I normally don't wear - I just keep it displayed in my KISS collection.

The banquet was set up pretty nice - a prize pack was the center piece for the table and was given to one of those sitting at the table.

The food was good - cept the veggies cuz I hate veggies. At our table the people had either the beef meal or the lasagna - I guess everyone was too chicken for the chicken, lol.

The entertainment for the evening was a regional comedian. He was good.

Tons of prizes were given away. They also had the drawings for the raffles. TinyMoMo, Tom-2, KB, TDawg, Taz and Nancy each won a prize! I won a prize from one of the raffles. I won a denim tote bag with over 500 envelopes! Wendy snagged the tote bag as soon as she saw it. I won over 1,000 envelopes total from my two prizes. I just need some stamps and I'm all set for snailing again! There were a lot of OLS'rs that one some really cool prizes that nite from other tables too.

Have I told you the people I met at the convention were AWESOME?

On Sunday morning they held the last session. I don't remember who from our table won (I forgot to take pics too), but I know we had a few winners.

After the Sunday morning session it was time to pack up and say the goodbyes.

I wanna give a shout out to the following for being so kind, generous, and fun to be around -

Panda(antisocial), KB, Taz, GeminiLion, TDawg, Binski, Kat, MotownMama, Tom-2, Ked and Nancy, Pamcakes, TinyMoMo, ColJim and The Col, BeaniePrincess, Mike from Jersey City, Dave(?) one of the runners, the OLS lurker and the several sweepers I met at the convention that I can't for the life of me remember their names. All of you will always hold a special place in my heart - and some in my hard drive cuz of some of the pics! I hope to meet you all again soon! Definately at the 2008 Sweeps Convention in San Antonio!

For those that have never been to a sweeps convention and don't know if they should go - I'd say GO TO SAN ANTONIO! You won't regret it. I think the biggest joy I had was to meet and spend time with the people from OLS. Some I've been online friends with for a couple of years and others I just knew from their postings on OLS. Everything else at the convention - the food, the prizes etc was just a bonus.

Again, thanks to everyone I met - ya'll ROCK!

ETA: I can't believe I forgot to write about this part. After I got dropped off at the bus station for the ride home, I was standing outside having a cig. I put my iPod on for the first time since my trip to Dearborn, I had it set for shuffle songs - can anyone who went to the convention this year tell me what song was the first song to play? I almost started dancing when I heard it. It put a smile on my face and made me chuckle.

Last edited by KISSaholic4life; June 13th, 2007 at 6:35pm.

~ Space For Rent ~
I can be found at Facebook - look for KISSaholic4life

Old  June 12th, 2007, 7:18pm     #2
KISSaholic4life
Grand Master Sweeper

Last edited by KISSaholic4life; June 13th, 2007 at 2:07am.

~ Space For Rent ~

Old  June 12th, 2007, 7:19pm     #3
KISSaholic4life
Grand Master Sweeper

~ Space For Rent ~

Old  June 12th, 2007, 7:19pm     #4
KISSaholic4life
Grand Master Sweeper

~ Space For Rent ~

Old  June 12th, 2007, 7:20pm     #5
KISSaholic4life
Grand Master Sweeper

~ Space For Rent ~

Old  June 12th, 2007, 7:20pm     #6
KISSaholic4life
Grand Master Sweeper

Last edited by KISSaholic4life; June 15th, 2007 at 7:33pm.

~ Space For Rent ~

Old  June 12th, 2007, 7:20pm     #7
KISSaholic4life
Grand Master Sweeper

~ Space For Rent ~

Old  June 12th, 2007, 7:31pm     #8
AlliesMom
Master Sweeper

This will take me all night to read it!! Ok, here I go........
  Old  June 12th, 2007, 7:32pm     #9
kbsocial
Grand Master Sweeper
Administrator
Queen Peep

'd reading this and seeing your pics!!

Thats right y'all - KISS got naked in my room first
  Old  June 12th, 2007, 7:35pm     #10
jofo3511
Grand Master Sweeper

Thanks for sharing KISS, I enjoyed reading it too.

Old  June 12th, 2007, 7:48pm     #11
rainydaymeg
Master Sweeper

Sounds like you had an awesome time Great pics. Did you do the bag on your head thing on the ride home?
  Old  June 12th, 2007, 8:20pm     #12
beanieprincess
Senior Sweeper

i was
nice to meet u too kiss
  Old  June 12th, 2007, 8:24pm     #13
AlliesMom
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsocial
Thats right y'all - KISS got naked in my room first
Yeah Like................WHO DOESN'T???
  Old  June 12th, 2007, 8:25pm     #14
KylesArmyWife
Grand Master Sweeper

Looks like so much fun!!!
  Old  June 12th, 2007, 8:27pm     #15
Abohemia
Master Sweeper

wow it looks like you guys had a blast!

http://d.winzy.com/abohemia/aw/b.gifhttp://static.blingo.com/images/frie.../88x31.blu.gif