Old  April 21st, 2007, 3:24pm     #16
kbsocial
Grand Master Sweeper
Administrator
Queen Peep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coljim
We won't have a vehicle. Does anyone know if lottery tickets are available somewhere near the hotel?

I believe someone said there is a place at the airport - but there is also a mall near the hotel that may carry them.
  Old  April 24th, 2007, 7:50am     #17
CARAN52
Master Sweeper

Just came from a mini convention where the labels were used on the ticket stubs for the prizes and it works out fantastic!! If you get a chance and are a big purchaser of raffle tickets be sure to run off some extras and bring them as I went through a full page at this one in a snap. lolol (yes I love raffles!!)

The ones you need are 80 to a page. If you don't have a computer and place your order BEFORE May 15th you can order 3 sheets for $4.50 plus $2.00 shipping at ANN-tics@comcast.net.

The cut off date is so that we don't get slammed with orders at the last minute and that we have plenty of time to get them to you before you leave.
  Old  May 8th, 2007, 6:49am     #18
Adrianita
Senior Master Sweeper

There are no 26c stamps available to buy, should we buy 24c and the matching 2c or wait until USPS has them? I was gonna order today.
  Old  May 8th, 2007, 7:22am     #19
Adrianita
Senior Master Sweeper

nevermind DH said 26c stamps will be available on May12th.
  Old  May 23rd, 2007, 2:31am     #20
ksmith47
Grand Master Sweeper

Thanks for posting this KB!
  Old  May 23rd, 2007, 8:25am     #21
KISSaholic4life
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsocial
Quote:
Originally Posted by coljim
We won't have a vehicle. Does anyone know if lottery tickets are available somewhere near the hotel?
I believe someone said there is a place at the airport - but there is also a mall near the hotel that may carry them.

If the Michigan Scratch Off Lottery Tickets are sold like the ones around here - they can be purchased at just about every gas station and grocery store - in other words they'll be really easy to find and very close by.

~ Space For Rent ~
I can be found at Facebook - look for KISSaholic4life

Old  May 23rd, 2007, 9:01am     #22
TinyMoMo
Grand Master Sweeper

Am I reading this right? We have to pay to enter contests?
  Old  May 23rd, 2007, 9:05am     #23
kbsocial
Grand Master Sweeper
Administrator
Queen Peep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyMoMo

Yes - these are raffles so you get chances for whatever you put in. So if you put in a roll of stamps you are entered to win stamps - they take all the stamps that are put into the raffle and divide them up. The more people that enter that raffle, the more prizes. I have won 1,000 stamps the past 2 years from my roll of stamp entry.

The raffles are given away Saturday night during the banquet. The other giveaways throughout the weekend are part of your registration fees. A lot of vendors will also have raffles ($1 a ticket, stuff like that) giving away great prizes
  Old  May 23rd, 2007, 9:07am     #24
KISSaholic4life
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
For the raffles you have to bring envelopes, stamps, MI Lottery Scratch Off Tickets, post cards, cash.

Sweeps18 Raffles List

~ Space For Rent ~
I can be found at Facebook - look for KISSaholic4life

Old  May 23rd, 2007, 9:22am     #25
TinyMoMo
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Holy Crap, I better readjust my trip budget!
  Old  May 23rd, 2007, 9:28am     #26
kbsocial
Grand Master Sweeper
Administrator
Queen Peep

Quote:
Holy Crap, I better readjust my trip budget!

And they are all optional - you can enter some, all or none!
  Old  May 23rd, 2007, 3:06pm     #27
ksmith47
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KISSaholic4life
If the Michigan Scratch Off Lottery Tickets are sold like the ones around here - they can be purchased at just about every gas station and grocery store - in other words they'll be really easy to find and very close by.
Yup - that's true - lottery tickets are sold in tons of places. We even have lottery ticket vending machines.
  Old  May 23rd, 2007, 3:09pm     #28
ksmith47
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsocial
And they are all optional - you can enter some, all or none!
I have a question - these raffle prizes are given away at the banquet right? I probably won't attend the Sunday session and I don't want to miss out if I'm not there!

Another question, if I'm not there for the Sunday session and I win something, can I have another person claim it if they have my ticket stubs?
  Old  May 23rd, 2007, 6:52pm     #29
CARAN52
Master Sweeper

I will try and explain for the first timers why it is so confusing for you.

First -- almost everything that happens all weekend is called a "raffle" raffle for this, raffle for that.

Here's the easiest way to explain what happened over the last couple of conventions, can't say they will do exactly the same here since I am not on the planning committee but knowing Al and his involvment with the past conventions I am sure it will run along the same lines.

1st word "raffle" -- you paid a registration fee -- they will give you tickets which are marked for each session and special that they have going on over the entire weekend. When you attend you simple take the ticket marked for that event and put it in the drum. Costs you no additional money since it is included in the cost of the registration. Then during each session or special they draw names and award some of the prizes. In the past no one could collect for someone not attending that segment. Now if you were in the potty and they could vouch for you being in attendance (empty seat for example, when we ran it we let the person have it -- not there cause they slept in -- no prize -- hope that made sense.)

2nd word "raffle" -- this is the list of the items that you received which said you want to participate in these special events you would bring those particular items. (the stamps, the postcards, enveloeps, etc.) and like KB sais your entry using those items IS your ticket to win back lots of that particular item. ex. you enter for the first class stamps -- you win back a large portion of them. I don't remember what or how many they said they were giving away, but at our mini we broke it up into boxes of 500 for most of the stuff, so using that rational you would enter say the one entry or up to the max and try to win that large amount. They keep pulling names of those who entered until that particular item has all been handed out with the last winner in that category getting a smaller allotment in most cases. They do this drawing at the banquet.

3 word "raffle" -- the vendors are allowed to offer gift baskets and other items which they sell tickets for and chance them off. This helps to recoupl some of the cost for the table rental and some have shipping costs, etc. associated with getting their supplies out there for the weekend. This is option and you do need to pay to enter these. Some vendors do have "free" drawings at their tables which is clearly marked.

I hope that helps. I think I got all of the areas where the word "raffle" will be used over the weekend. I know it seems confusing as heck because everything that is talked about is referred to as some kind of raffle. My first year I went crazy trying to figure out what was what. It's really all easy and comes together quickly when you get there. The only thing you need is food, drink and spending money and spending money depends on what you like to do. Souveniers, buying sweeping supplies from the vendors, snacks, etc.

You can always PM me if you have any questions that you want me to answer directly instead of having them posted. See you soon.
  Old  May 23rd, 2007, 6:59pm     #30
CARAN52
Master Sweeper

In response to the question about not being there for the Sunday session:
If you are not planning on attending any of the Sunday sessions, you would not be there to put your attendance ticket into the drum. Therefore, your name would not be called for anything. In the past, and I am sure it is the same for this year, you cannot put in tickets and claim prizes for those not in attendance.

It's like going to any function where they give door prizes away. When you attend a segment of the weekend they have a drawing for that segment from the ticket you gave when you came to it as a sorta "thank you" for attending that part of the weekend.

Do not worry about losing out on anything on Sunday. In most cases it is light on activities that day because the planning committee knows that some have to leave to catch flights,etc. The majority of the giveaways are done on Saturday throughout the day and evening. You will be fine by having to leave early.