Old  April 16th, 2018, 9:22pm     #16
Urlik
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by coljim View Post
Here is the info for system restore. I would take it back to before the problems started. Either this or the link form Urlik starting at #1.
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-...indows-2626131
Regardless of what method you use it will take time to fix it properly.
I think of my computer as a machine that works for me and I can make it do what I want.
I still miss Fast Freddy but I learned a lot from him.
Fast Freddy was great. He had much more time and patience than I do to help.

My 2018 Wins
  Old  April 16th, 2018, 9:29pm     #17
coljim
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlik View Post
Fast Freddy was great. He had much more time and patience than I do to help.
I don't really type well so that creates extra challenges for me.

My Wins
  Old  April 16th, 2018, 10:07pm     #18
Urlik
Master Sweeper

Quote:
I don't really type well so that creates extra challenges for me.
From a Chief to a Colonel, you're doing fine from what I can see.

My 2018 Wins
  Old  April 16th, 2018, 10:48pm     #19
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Here is the info for system restore. I would take it back to before the problems started. Either this or the link form Urlik starting at #1.
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-...indows-2626131
Regardless of what method you use it will take time to fix it properly.
I think of my computer as a machine that works for me and I can make it do what I want.
I still miss Fast Freddy but I learned a lot from him.
Not up to par tonight so will see how I'm feeling tomorrow. I used to move the old computer back to a previous date many times! Esp. as it aged!

Yes.. FF was a big help to everyone here! But I am glad I can still get help from others and appreciate it!

Earn cash back while shopping with ebates - my referral https://www.ebates.com/r/BOMER92
  Old  April 27th, 2018, 12:47pm     #20
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Tried system restore... failed to complete...

Did a check for corrupt files.. says none found...

POS

Earn cash back while shopping with ebates - my referral https://www.ebates.com/r/BOMER92
  Old  April 28th, 2018, 10:43am     #21
Urlik
Master Sweeper

You may need to go back to my first link and go through the list to try those fixes. It may also be worth deleting the wireless driver looking through the comments on my link but I would download the newest version of the drivers first so you have them to install.

Sorry you have to go through this. This issue has been a bear even for tech savvy folks.

My 2018 Wins
  Old  April 28th, 2018, 11:17am     #22
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

I have a few questions .. since I've been on a mac for years now and last MS software I dealt with was Vista...

#1 ... could method #4 - stop all updates .. take care of the issue? Maybe? The computer seems to run fine until it tries to update again.

#2 ... if I do method #1 .. I'm ok with the first step.. but how do I open Explorer? Open Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows folder.

I can' seem to get the hang of Win. 10 .. simple things like opening up the control panel, etc... are made more difficult.... Vista had everything right there.

Plus... after you do step #2 near the end it says to manually do install updates. In the beginning, it has you stop updates.. if you don't complete task #2 and manually install, will all updates cease to install? In hubby's case, this would be fine. His Vista computer lasted 8 years and we had no security issues... he's not romping through the web much and doesn't touch emails unless he knows what they are.

Old  April 29th, 2018, 10:59am     #23
Urlik
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomar97 View Post
I have a few questions .. since I've been on a mac for years now and last MS software I dealt with was Vista...

#1 ... could method #4 - stop all updates .. take care of the issue? Maybe? The computer seems to run fine until it tries to update again.
Method 6 would do that. I'd never recommend it for security reasons but I think you've considered that already and don't see a problem with stopping updates.

Quote:
#2 ... if I do method #1 .. I'm ok with the first step.. but how do I open Explorer? Open Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows folder.
windows key + e will open file explorer.

Quote:
Plus... after you do step #2 near the end it says to manually do install updates. In the beginning, it has you stop updates.. if you don't complete task #2 and manually install, will all updates cease to install? In hubby's case, this would be fine. His Vista computer lasted 8 years and we had no security issues... he's not romping through the web much and doesn't touch emails unless he knows what they are.
You'll need to do method 6 to stop all update attempts.

My 2018 Wins
  Old  April 29th, 2018, 12:06pm     #24
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Method 6 would do that. I'd never recommend it for security reasons but I think you've considered that already and don't see a problem with stopping updates.

windows key + e will open file explorer.

You'll need to do method 6 to stop all update attempts.

Thanks for the help! I was going to start doing this today.. but he turned on the computer and there was no issues like normally, so I'm going to let it ride for now... at least until it starts bugging him again... because I know the minute I do something he'll find another thing not working right and say .. what did you do to my computer ...

Yesterday was a bad day for him with it jamming up all morning.

Old  May 27th, 2018, 3:22pm     #25
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

I went in today and went to stop the windows updates per step #1 ..

First off, I had no choice for stop .. it was greyed out..

It said it was in manual mode.. not automatic for updates.. maybe because at one time we set a time for it to update...

So I went the step further and disabled it in properties...

Next step it says to delete the software distribution folder..

I clicked to do that, but it said some files names were too long for the recycle bin.

I have a question about that..

Does that file only contain the windows update software? It's got 1.7G or so of data..

It won't disrupt any other software that's been downloaded?

I didn't delete it just yet.

I wonder is just the disabling of the windows updates will stop it from trying to update all the time.

Old  May 27th, 2018, 3:32pm     #26
Urlik
Master Sweeper

It's safe to delete it. The files in there are only used to install programs and apps.

I haven't checked this forum in several days, fortunate timing to come take a look.

My 2018 Wins
  Old  May 27th, 2018, 5:47pm     #27
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
It's safe to delete it. The files in there are only used to install programs and apps.

I haven't checked this forum in several days, fortunate timing to come take a look.
Thank you.

Old  May 27th, 2018, 6:32pm     #28
juniorgirl
Master Sweeper

My computer crashed!
Two days ago I had just gotten some very important files onto my new desktop and just as I was ready to back them up to a memory stick the Windows 10 Update started. After it went through the blue message screens that said "leave it all to us" etc. My computer screen went black. I restarted many times and I get errors like "unknown hard error" and "sihost.exe" error. All I want is my files back! I have tried every help site I can find and so far no progress. I am so scared. All I want is my files back!
  Old  May 28th, 2018, 12:12pm     #29
russstrikesagain
Master Sweeper

I recently went through this update and had to remove my antivirus software for it to complete, then reinstall a new version of the antivirus when it was done.
  Old  August 1st, 2018, 10:04am     #30
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Well, it was going well... no updates ready messages so I guess I stopped it all...

BUT...

Then the computer decided something was't right and started "fixing" itself...

After that, the updates came back... it had re-set where I told it not to update.

We left it alone.. the updating wasn't consistent, though it never finished...

So one day I went in and re-did the steps to tell it to stop updating... went looking for the file to delete but there wasn't any..

After that, it still wanted to update... then the update kept going, and going, for a few hours... then last we saw was 92% .. looked again and it said it was going back to the previous version so we knew it jammed again.

Then another day it started it's update again... it was terrible, we were watching it and announcing what percentage it was at as it went... then it was at 94%, 96% .. 98% .. 100%!!!!!!!!!!

YAY!!!!!!!!! It actually did it!! Then it had all this stuff about the "new" windows .. hubby said I don't use any of that.. can I just close out this window? So he closed out the "information" window and got back to normal... no files seemed to have been altered, so it appears we finally jumped the hurdle!