Old  October 31st, 2007, 2:24pm     #1
CARAN52
Master Sweeper

It's Official 2008 Hershey Convention dates October 17, 18, and 19th
Mark your calendars for the biggest party ever!! October 17, 18 and 19th 2008. Pre-registration will be $125 per person. The room rates will be discounted to $105 plus tax per night (only 80 held in reserve). Call and reserve your room right away so we don't run out like the past two years!!! As in all contracts they take a little time as we tweak things here and there. Will have more info as it is available within a month or two.

In the meantime, please send a signup memo to me at ANN-tics@comcast.net to get on the list. Hoping to see more of you that couldn't make it before due to Halloween Trick or Treating committments.

Last edited by CARAN52; November 8th, 2007 at 10:27am. Reason: Have info now to post instead of clogging with more postings.
  Old  October 31st, 2007, 2:37pm     #2
demmi
Master Sweeper

I am ready
  Old  October 31st, 2007, 4:22pm     #3
CARAN52
Master Sweeper

Even though you are posting here, please send me an email to ANN-tics so I can be sure to have everyone listed. I need your real name as well as you OLS name for the banquet signup.
  Old  November 5th, 2007, 9:18pm     #4
CARAN52
Master Sweeper

thanks for the words of encouragement that have been coming through to my private email address. Keep them numbers coming as far as signing up because I will be using those numbers when committing to size of the convention next year. Don't lose out cause we didn't plan for enough to attend.
  Old  November 8th, 2007, 10:31am     #5
CARAN52
Master Sweeper

Updated info in first block!!
Please read the edited first posting in this thread. It gives the Pre-registration rate plus the hotel room rate. Book that hotel now!!

78 people have sent me an email so far to sign them up as soon as we are ready. That rocks!!!!!!!!!!! Only going to 200 this year at the most. Don't miss out!!
  Old  November 9th, 2007, 9:22pm     #6
csandfs
Master Sweeper

Count me in!! What a blast!
  Old  March 16th, 2008, 1:43pm     #7
CARAN52
Master Sweeper

Convention Update
Just wanted to post something since we have not posted lately.

We have been working behind the scenes over the winter months in securing our speakers for the weekend (will be announced in August in case of changes) and planning a weekend full of surprises to both those new and returning to our convention.

I can tell you that our loyal DJ, Full Moon Music, will be returning to provide our electronics and his fine music all weekend. We have selected a varied group of vendors to keep you in stock (so those attending national - be sure to save some money for this weekend as most of these vendors will not be in San Antonio).

We have been posting all of the important information on our website so be sure to stop over and take a look. Registration is limited and expected to sell out.

See you at www.hersheyminiconvention.com

Carol
  Old  March 30th, 2008, 10:33am     #8
HEATHERM
Senior Sweeper

I have a question and I hope it is not rude but I'm 34 and would love to come to the convention but heard alot of older people attend and I would have nothing in common. Please tell me this is not so?
  Old  March 30th, 2008, 11:20am     #9
positivelift
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHERM View Post
I have a question and I hope it is not rude but I'm 34 and would love to come to the convention but heard alot of older people attend and I would have nothing in common. Please tell me this is not so?

I'm sorry, but forgive me while I laugh...

We all have something in common and that is sweepstaking! It's going to be a blast...complete with music, informative speakers, talented vendors, and lots of awesome prizes. We have all kinds of age groups coming and we have great fun!

I am the co-chair and I'm 26 years old. My wife is 25.

Rob's 2014 wins
  Old  March 30th, 2008, 1:16pm     #10
CARAN52
Master Sweeper

Absolutely not....
I figured Rob would beat me to the forums and was glad he did.

As he said we have attendees from 13 years of age (2 in 2006) all the way up the chain. My son attends and he is 26 and has had more fun than anyone and met a lot of really nice people there (all ages).

Yes, you will see a lot of senior citizens attending all sweepstakes convention because they are the majority of the sweepers in general. If you ever saw Sandy Gulliver's statistics you will see that the most sweepers have been doing it for over 25 years. Then it trickles down by age, but our covention is by no means an "old peoples" event by any means. I'm 55 and will get down in the trenches with even the youngest.

Please do not stay away because of what you have been "told". Talk to us that are running it with your quesitons. There a about 50-75 people coming that are under 45 in my best guess at this point.

We guarantee you will have a good time. Again read our forums and endorsements, even go back and read the feedback for the past two years. From the time you set foot when the convention starts of Friday be prepared to win prizes throughout the weekend right throu closing ends on Sunday. We have several nice speakers being lined up and you WILL walk away a different person. Just ask Aimee and Grace and a few others that were reluctant to come alone. They are all around your age. The convention in the past two years has been heavily supported by OLSers and it is really fun putting a name with a face. We do seat all of the OLSers that want to in their own area for the banquet so that you get to know each other. That's a standing understanding I made with OLS (why? because I am one!! lolol)

See you there!!

Carol
Coordinator
2008 Northeast Mini Convention!!
  Old  March 30th, 2008, 1:16pm     #11
obxhatteraslight
Senior Master Sweeper

I was
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHERM View Post
34 for the first year!! It is a nice mix of ppl!! OOOPSIE I just revealed my age!!
You`ll have a great time....

Old  March 30th, 2008, 1:28pm     #12
CARAN52
Master Sweeper

Rob and Aimee you may remember better than me, wasn't the group about 50-50 in the under and over 50 age range the past two years?

All I know is the entire group for the past two years has been fantastic or I wouldn't have put all the work into it for another year!! Never was I at a loss for someone to help here and there when I needed it or needed them to find someone for me. And a very knowledgable group willing to share their sweeping tricks, tips and stories in general.

That's what it's all about right!! People, prizes and food!! Plus you never know what we have up our sleeve. Gonna be hard this year topping Robio though....or is he due for a return visit???
What do you think gang???
  Old  March 30th, 2008, 1:53pm     #13
positivelift
Senior Master Sweeper

Yeah we had a lot of younger crowds there, but I didn't really notice the age difference because we were all having a lot of fun together. I had a couple that were in their 70's that came up to me and told me how much fun they were having last year.

I think HeatherM just posted that question in order to get Carol and Aimee to reveal their ages! I mean, really, Carol is NOT 55 years old. And if she is, that's way more shocking than any "Robio/Fabio" routine.

I think it's fun finding out the history of contesting and sweeping. You can only find this out by asking questions to the veteran sweepers. So yeah, there are some "oldies but goodies", but that is by far a great thing instead of a reason for not attending.

And we're covering all aspects of sweepstaking at the convention - online, snail, radio, and deep-plunge sweeping...which isn't an aspect at all but we'll make it one! Nothing like a bunch of weird winners getting together for a weekend of fun!

Rob's 2014 wins
  Old  March 30th, 2008, 2:32pm     #14
CARAN52
Master Sweeper

This statement by Rob is exactly why I don't really know the ages "I didn't really notice the age difference because we were all having a lot of fun together" That was my take on the entire weekend both years too!!

This may help to explain how much the convention was viewed by non-sweepers, many which have not converted to sweepers since our first mini.

Our DJ (my other half) was NOT a sweeper. He knew I did it, put up with me running to the post office yada, yada. When I decided to hold the first mini to the extent that it had become I asked him if he would help me with the music and sound equipment for the weekend (we have a DJ business and knew we could majorly save money this way). He sorta reluctently agreed and I told him he only needed to be there in case I had problems and definately for the banquet.

So we get up there all equipment in tow and set up. This "non-sweeper" ended up staying at the equipment all weekend almost rolling on the floor laughing at all of these people young and older, male and female going wonkers as their names were called all throughout the weekend that they won a prize whether is was a FedEx pak with something hidden in it or a roll of stamps or a gift basket. They didn't care -- -they won. While he helped with the sound equipment he was sorta "stuck" behind the speakers keeping the mic's in working order and ended up listening to what they all had to say. He was amazed at the storeis the winner's were telling and the information that was being passed back and forth. He always talks about the amazement when we did our roll call of cars, cash, trips won from just those in attendance and from the distances some of them had traveled from just to attend (Arizona to the Jersey shore, Maine to Florida and almost every single state east of the Mississippi was represeted there.

Then we also had a vendor room where you could stock up on some of the greatest sweeping supplies. I myself was like a kid in a candy store even though I sell my own supplies!!

Many of the attendees surprised me by dropping off door prizes as they attended that I hadn't even counted on. That made for one fantastic winnable weekend. I look forward to seeing a lot of you again this year. I can also tell you that there are going to be quite a few first-timers and if things stay on course as they are now there will be someone you will be very excited to meet there (sweepstakes related!!) I know I am really, really excited at the way things are turning out. I mentioned a few things to Rob in planningn out this year's program and of course let it known to the Universe and lo and behold it is all just falling right at my doorstep!!

You guys are the greatest!! Rob and I (plus my committee helpers) can put all the sweat into this program,. but it is you all attending that is going to make it what it is. Come with a postitive attitude and you will walk away a winner and be hungry for more!! First timers badges are tagged so that you aren't left in the dust not knowing what to do. It is very easy all weekend and held completely inside in the same area of the hotel. Outta bed and roll into the meeting rooms!!!
  Old  March 30th, 2008, 2:36pm     #15
CARAN52
Master Sweeper

.... Oh and by October I'll be a young 56...ugh. Only as old as you feel. I'm still stuck at 30!!!