Old  July 23rd, 2016, 4:33pm     #1771
deborah62
Grand Master Sweeper

You have to wipe off the buckets of sweat though I am staying inside,I do not do well in the heat anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravzie View Post
Oppressively hot. I hear you about the snow thing, but at least I do not have to shovel the heat.

What if the hokey pokey is what its all about?
  Old  July 23rd, 2016, 6:25pm     #1772
chancebunny
Grand Master Sweeper

I have never done well in the heat. When our power went out this afternoon, I immediately started feeling sweaty and uncomfortable. Thank goodness it only lasted about an hour and a half, but it was bad right from the beginning, when it's in the upper 90's.

Our task must be to free ourselves...by widening our circle of compassion
to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty.

Albert Einstein
  Old  July 23rd, 2016, 10:07pm     #1773
Ravzie
Grand Master Sweeper

Crikey, that sucks, bunbun!

I would prefer perfect weather every day, of course. But I can't have that, so I would rather have summer over winter. I am very cold sensitive, like my fingers blanche out when it is 60 degrees - and that's with gloves on. They hurt so much!

But you can just put your frozen food outside if you lose power in the winter.

Old  July 23rd, 2016, 10:50pm     #1774
chancebunny
Grand Master Sweeper

That's unusual and bad about your cold sensitivity. I would never think of 60 degrees as being the least bit cold. I guess there is nothing you can do about your cold sensitivity?

Albert Einstein
  Old  July 25th, 2016, 9:28pm     #1775
Ravzie
Grand Master Sweeper

My hands and feet are cold almost all of the time. If I had a nickel for every time a patient pulled away from me and said, "Your hands are so cold", I would have a whole lot of nickels. I would always answer, "Be glad you don't have to touch my feet." Except the patients with high fever loved my hands.... And having to wash the hands constantly didn't help. I never had time to run the water to get it warm.

Talking about my poor circulation with a doctor years ago, I asked what I could do. He said, "Move to Hawaii." I kid you not. I told him that was nothing I wanted to do more than move back and stay forever.

Docs agree I seem to have Raynaud's syndrome. Another great thing about being me.

In case you have not heard of that before:

What is Raynaud's phenomenon?

Raynaud's (say "ray-NOHZ") phenomenon is a problem with blood flow. Your body doesn't send enough blood to your hands and feet, so they feel very cold and numb. In most cases, this lasts for a short time when your body overreacts to cold temperatures.

For most people, Raynaud's is more of a nuisance than a disability.

Often Raynaud's has no known cause.

Certain things can trigger an attack of symptoms. The most common trigger is exposure to cold. In the cold, it's normal for the body to narrow the small blood vessels to the skin and to open the blood vessels to the inside parts of the body to keep the body warm. But with Raynaud's, the body restricts blood flow to the skin more than it needs to. Other triggers can include emotional stress and things that affect the flow of blood, such as smoking, caffeine, and some medicines.

During an attack of Raynaud's, the body limits blood flow to the hands and feet. This makes them feel cold and numb and then turn white or blue. As blood flow returns and the fingers or toes warm up, they may turn red and begin to throb and hurt. In rare cases, Raynaud's affects the nose or ears.

An attack most often lasts only a few minutes. But in some cases it may last more than an hour.

Yada yada yada

My fingers will do this, especially the the thumb, index and birdie on the right. They go first.

Old  July 25th, 2016, 11:22pm     #1776
chancebunny
Grand Master Sweeper

I have heard of Raynaud's before. There was brief period years ago when I suddenly had some kind of reaction like that, and the Dr. mentioned Raynauds. It was just my fingertips. I think it might have been a reaction to birth control pills or some other medication. Then when we first moved into this house, the floors were very cold - there was no insulation under them. My toes turned blue for a short time. But it went away after a while and I've never had that again. My feet especially are usually so hot. I have to run cold water over them, especially at bedtime, but the cooling effect only lasts a few minutes. I would love to have your cold hands on me. Even sitting in the house with the a/c on and sometimes also with a fan, I can still feel uncomfortably hot and sweaty. I know that's not normal. A long time ago, I was in a shopping mall with my father. Malls are usually kept pretty cool, and this was no exeption. We were in a Radio Shack and he was looking at calculators. I briefly held it then handed it to him. He wanted to know why it was wet. Just in the few seconds I held it, I got it sweaty. People have touched me and said I felt hot. Ever since I was a kid, I was always the hot one in the group, and not hot in a good way!

I'm sorry that you have your cold problem and that there isn't anything you can do about it - except move to Hawaii, which would be wonderful for you.

Albert Einstein
  Old  July 26th, 2016, 5:09pm     #1777
Ravzie
Grand Master Sweeper

I guess we are inverse images. You should move to Whidbey Island. If the temps get up to the mid 70s, the locals talk about the brutal heat wave. Speaking of Whidbey, anyone hear from nb lately?

Old  July 26th, 2016, 5:20pm     #1778
chancebunny
Grand Master Sweeper

I think that Whidbey would be a nice place, especially for the summer.

No, I haven't heard a word from northbluffer. I keep thinking about him and I know that he comes here occasionally, to sweep, I guess. When I have clicked on his name, it would say when he last visited. It's extra puzzling to me that he is coming to OLS sometimes, but not posting in one of the threads here to let us know that he's okay and what is happening. Surely, he must have moved by now, if he was talking about it last fall. I hope that everything is all right with him. It's looking like we're not going to hear from him again.

Albert Einstein
  Old  July 28th, 2016, 12:46pm     #1779
Ravzie
Grand Master Sweeper

I guess he just has no time for us anymore.

I had to get out and mow yesterday. I started as early as I could, so it wasn't that bad at first. At first.

Old  July 28th, 2016, 1:37pm     #1780
chancebunny
Grand Master Sweeper

I can't believe we have any flowers or veggies left with this heat and drought. I guess they're hanging in there with the constant water that I give them, but some of them, especially the tomatoes, look bad.

Albert Einstein
  Old  July 30th, 2016, 8:04pm     #1781
awssm
Grand Master Sweeper

Freakin' weather is awful: either too hot or too wet (but I will acknowledge that rain is needed)! Stay inside and drink is the only solution but why complain?

America: Love it or give it back.
  Old  July 30th, 2016, 10:29pm     #1782
chancebunny
Grand Master Sweeper

Late this afternoon, it good dark and thundered for an hour, but no rain.

Albert Einstein
  Old  July 31st, 2016, 2:13am     #1783
deborah62
Grand Master Sweeper

sounds like my kind of place,if it was around 70 all the time i would be happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravzie View Post
I guess we are inverse images. You should move to Whidbey Island. If the temps get up to the mid 70s, the locals talk about the brutal heat wave. Speaking of Whidbey, anyone hear from nb lately?

What if the hokey pokey is what its all about?
  Old  August 18th, 2016, 9:56am     #1784
chancebunny
Grand Master Sweeper

The temperatures have been a little lower lately - low 90's as opposed to high 90's but the higher humidity makes it feel just as bad or worse.

Albert Einstein
  Old  August 19th, 2016, 1:13pm     #1785
ANGSWIN
Grand Master Sweeper

Hot.
Too hot.
Way too hot!