Old  March 3rd, 2008, 3:23pm     #1
crackercrumb
Senior Master Sweeper

Thrift Score!

I made this group, aside from the other group. Yes I searched & yes I read the group, although, talking about coupons.. I can see what it has to do with being "thrifty" but not anything about "thrift stores". Anyhooch, this group is more interactive. I know alot of people here are thrifty, and at least some of you frequent thrift shops.

This is a group to share your thrift finds (hopefully in picture form) & how much it costs. I am a thrift store addict, & I have a fascination of seeing what other people bought & for how much. Also hoping some people will share their thrift secrets (ie: how the worst month to go thrifting is in dec, always open the head of the vhs tape to make sure it's still intact, at the end of every month they usually have 50-percent-off days, etxx..)

I'll start.

Trip Diary was 49 cents, leather bound, all pages intact & never written in. The unopened, 2 sheets of Halloween stickers I paid 15 cents for, will make a great addition to my little brothers Halloween card in October.

Pale pink dishes. SUPER THICK & made in JPN. I saw a set of 3 plates at a thrift store before, selling for $1.75 a plate. I bought full set for $4.00.

This hat retails for approximately $50 brand new in Canada, I paid $2.49, still with manufacturer stickers. A find like this does not happen often.

49 cents for the large, colourful glass (which was a present) & 25 cents for the shorter, golden glass.

MY BLOG: http://www.sirthriftalot.blogspot.com [updated: October 29th, 2012!]
  Old  March 5th, 2008, 7:41pm     #2
daskds
Grand Master Sweeper

A friend has a friend (you know how that goes) who teaches in an lower income neighborhood. She said some of the boys didn't have pants - they make them wear uniforms. It is the middle of winter even in Texas.

So I got 11 shirts and 11 pants and 3 coats for about $50 bucks! I don't have any pictures because I gave it all away!

I was thrilled!! And it made me feel good inside in two ways. Great buys and good karma!

Great Thread! I will look for it the next time I hit the Thrift store.

Do you have any hints for what to look for? My store is kind of random about everything except the clothes. The whole place is lined with shelves and they just put things any ol place it will fit. What kind of things do you look for?
  Old  March 5th, 2008, 8:40pm     #3
ironbutterfly
Grand Master Sweeper

Love the glasses

All I Want For You My Son Is To Be Satisfied
  Old  March 5th, 2008, 9:11pm     #4
HamsterLady
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbutterfly View Post
Love the glasses
Ditto!

http://www.shesmorethananumber.blogspot.com
  Old  March 6th, 2008, 2:06pm     #5
PGRIFF
Grand Master Sweeper

I love thrift stores. I just got back from a few. I got a wood short indoor doggie gate for a fraction of the new price and it's in real good shape . also I got a dozen vintage patterns for sewing and crafting. a few books because I like books. I got an old hair dryer in the round case, I will toss the broken dryer and decoupage it inside and out.

please do not gift a membership - I'm taking a break from OLS sweeping. and the forums .
  Old  March 11th, 2008, 6:34pm     #6
crackercrumb
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbutterfly View Post
Love the glasses
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspergersKitty
Ditto!
Thanks guys!

I got this stuff today. I can't figure out if the paper is rice paper (i don't think i've ever really seen rice paper before..) or if the book is just old, either way i love it. i've been looking for a box to keep special things in, as i've recently cleaned out drawers & drawers of paper.. & i finally found this one. nice box, can't tell if it was homemade or not. total cost for both: $1.02 with tax.

inside the book..

Old  March 11th, 2008, 6:36pm     #7
fromtheheart66
Senior Master Sweeper

We dont have any good ones around here. Anyone in nc... Winston-Salem, Statesville, Salisbuy area know of any???

Of all days, the day on which one has not laughed is the one most surely wasted.
  Old  March 11th, 2008, 6:43pm     #8
crackercrumb
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by daskds View Post
A friend has a friend (you know how that goes) who teaches in an lower income neighborhood. She said some of the boys didn't have pants - they make them wear uniforms. It is the middle of winter even in Texas.

So I got 11 shirts and 11 pants and 3 coats for about $50 bucks! I don't have any pictures because I gave it all away!

I was thrilled!! And it made me feel good inside in two ways. Great buys and good karma!

Do you have any hints for what to look for? My store is kind of random about everything except the clothes. The whole place is lined with shelves and they just put things any ol place it will fit. What kind of things do you look for?
Awesome deal & even awesomer what you did!

I'm really into vintage stationary, cards & journals. I have 3 drawers full & have to find a new place to stuff it all. I reguarly visit 5 thrift stores. The one by my house, probably 3x a week & the department store thrift store (Value Village) once a week. The other 3 I visit as often as I can, which is once every 2 weeks. Most of them are pretty organizied. The one near my house, it has so much stuff & so many peole passing thru, it's hard to keep it well-organized at times. I always visit the sections I like first: stationary, knick kacks, electronics, magazines, then clothing. & I if I see something I maybe might want, I pick it up & carry it around until i can decide.. just incase i decide i want it & it's not there. & I always do another quick run around of the stores after I have finished shopping, just incase i've missed something. When I picked up that hat.. there was about 10 more different styles.. & I was like "i'll come back in a couple mins.." & then they were gone & I lectured myself on how I should've known better! & I'm always looking for stuff to sell on eBay.. which you have to have an eye for.

Good luck on your next thrift venture!

Old  March 11th, 2008, 6:44pm     #9
crackercrumb
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromtheheart66 View Post
We dont have any good ones around here. Anyone in nc... Winston-Salem, Statesville, Salisbuy area know of any???
Nope.. never been to those areas. Whenever I've visiting somewhere though, I always check out the phonebook or google around to see what thrift stores are in the area. You could try that?

Old  March 12th, 2008, 11:59am     #10
ironbutterfly
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by daskds View Post

You are such a beautiful hearted person

All I Want For You My Son Is To Be Satisfied
  Old  March 14th, 2008, 11:02am     #11
PGRIFF
Grand Master Sweeper

I like to collect these zizzle toys

I love thrift finds.

please do not gift a membership - I'm taking a break from OLS sweeping. and the forums .
  Old  March 14th, 2008, 11:05am     #12
PGRIFF
Grand Master Sweeper

our local shelter shop has great finds - so does our goodwill and we have a local senior citizens group that has weekly rummage sales.

Old  March 16th, 2008, 12:37am     #13
crackercrumb
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGRIFF View Post

I love thrift finds.

This tin is great! What do you keep in it?
The easter baskets & the dog thing are cool too. What is the dog thing? An unbrella stand?

& we had a bunny like that when my brother was little.. about 6 years ago. He was petrified of it. He'd start crying & would hold onto you super tight if it started to play. It was cute, but yea, kinda mean.

Old  March 16th, 2008, 11:13am     #14
PGRIFF
Grand Master Sweeper

it's small and it's a planter --I need to work on making my pictures smaller..I'll call on fastfreddie later.. I keep my little items in old canisters, buttons - ribbon - glue sticks - bits of lace - paint supplies - tiny ornaments - old jewelry parts-- there is lots of little stuff in crafting and art.

Old  March 19th, 2008, 3:27am     #15
kahalaave
Senior Master Sweeper
Founding Member

did u know that there is a yahoo group called "ThriftScores"? I've been a member for several years-u post what deals you got,etc..mainly about thrift shops but members also post their garage sale finds etc

My Wins from 2017 and Back!

Tags
ebay, thrift store, thrifty