Old  January 5th, 2018, 9:58pm     #1
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

FLW Bass fisherman missing
Search is on-going..

One of two fishermen has been found.. still searching for the co-angler.

*UPDATE 11:45 a.m. Friday*

In order to concentrate all efforts on the ongoing search for co-angler Nik Kayler, FLW officials have decided to cancel the remaining competition day at the Costa FLW Series tournament on Lake Okeechobee.

At this time, air search and recovery operations are still being conducted under the guidance of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission and local authorities. FLW is assisting the search operations.

Final tournament standings will be determined by day one of competition.

*UPDATE 1:10 a.m. Friday*

To assist with the ongoing search efforts for co-angler Nik Kayler, Fishing League Worldwide (FLW) has canceled Friday’s day two of competition.

FLW confirmed Thursday night that a boat with two anglers that was competing in the Costa FLW Series event on Lake Okeechobee did not check in at the designated weigh-in location Thursday at C. Scott Driver Park in Okeechobee, Florida.

Kisiah was found alive Thursday night around 11 p.m. local time. Kayler has not yet been located and the search remains ongoing.

Earn cash back while shopping with ebates - my referral https://www.ebates.com/r/BOMER92
  Old  January 10th, 2018, 10:06pm     #2
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Body was found today... RIP Nik...

Earn cash back while shopping with ebates - my referral https://www.ebates.com/r/BOMER92
  Old  January 11th, 2018, 8:02am     #3
mcclave
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomar97 View Post
Body was found today... RIP Nik...
So sad I was hoping they would find him alive. R.I.P.
  Old  January 11th, 2018, 2:22pm     #4
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclave View Post
So sad I was hoping they would find him alive. R.I.P.
Former military .. helicopter .. if anyone had survival skills, he did. I had hoped he found his way to land and was in survival frame until someone arrived..

Old  January 12th, 2018, 7:34am     #5
mcclave
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Former military .. helicopter .. if anyone had survival skills, he did. I had hoped he found his way to land and was in survival frame until someone arrived..
I'm now seeing conflicting reports. This one said he was alone other reports say he was one of 2 men.

http://www.pennlive.com/daily-buzz/2...nd_dead_i.html
  Old  January 12th, 2018, 3:58pm     #6
JORDANSGRAM
Master Sweeper

i live by the lake, this is from our news.

A commercial fishing boat found Nik’s body Wednesday morning on the lake near the Clewiston water tower, authorities confirmed at midday. They did not give an exact time or place or otherwise elaborate.

A candlelight vigil was set for 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesday at C. Scott Driver Park in Okeechobee. It was the spot from where Nik, along with tournament fishing partner Bill Kisiah, had left Thursday morning. And the place to which they never returned.

Searchers had scoured the 750-square-mile lake — about a third as big as all of Palm Beach County — since Thursday evening, when Kayler, an Apopka resident, and Kisiah, 51, from Slidell, La., failed to check in on the the first day of the Fishing League Worldwide’s 3-day Costa Series tournament.

At about 11 p.m. Thursday, an exhausted Kisiah and his 21-foot Ranger Z521 came ashore near the Pahokee Marina.

“Preliminary information indicates that the vessel encountered rough waters and struck a wave and Mr. Kayler was ejected from the vessel,” the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission said Monday afternoon. A separate FWC report said that “efforts made by Mr. Kisiah were unsuccessful, as he was unable to recover his passenger due to suspected engine damage and conditions.”

Organizers canceled the rest of the bass-fishing event on Friday. Besides the FWC, the U.S. Coast Guard and the sheriff’s offices from Palm Beach, St. Lucie and Okeechobee counties took part in the search. The Federal Aviation Administration halted flights over Lake Okeechobee while boats and aircraft looked for Kayler.

On Wednesday morning, at the Roland Martin Marina & Resort in Clewiston, where many of the searchers had staged, Kayler’s family thanked the scores of authorities, fellow boaters and volunteers — “everybody that contributed and took time from their family so I could find my family,” half-brother Anthony Llanos said.

Llanos, a former water survival instructor for the U.S. Marines, had held out hope that Nik was alive, citing his survival training and conditioning.

Llanos, who said he’d spent most of the past several days on the lake and “literally had my phone glued to my face,” said Wednesday he was “overwhelmed” by the number of people searching for Nik.

“Anyone that knew Nik was out here,” he said. “There were so many people. Because he was such a good person and kept good people around him. Even people that didn’t know him knew about him. They were involved.”
  Old  January 12th, 2018, 7:29pm     #7
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

I know so many people are mentioning the FLW should take a closer look at weather conditions, should make certain life vest mandatory, and even suggested other things such as locators, etc.

This young man had training, yet circumstances apparently were more than what he could handle. Although tough for the family, at least they do have closure with finding him and bringing him home.

HIndsight is easy.. and the FLW is supposed to be a very safe oriented organization.. I don't see any harm in civil talk about things that can be done to make everything even safer.

I was amazed at some of what I read.. supposedly by members who fish FLW tournaments.. such as there is no standard for life vest requirement, you can have a regular one, auto inflate, or a manual inflate. Also when questioned about the fishermen removing their vests while fishing, someone stated that it was mandatory from sponsors so their names and logos could be seen on the shirts. I don't know if all this is true, but I can see a lot of discussion could be had to make such tournaments even safer in the future.

Old  January 13th, 2018, 11:43am     #8
mcclave
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
I know so many people are mentioning the FLW should take a closer look at weather conditions, should make certain life vest mandatory, and even suggested other things such as locators, etc.

This young man had training, yet circumstances apparently were more than what he could handle. Although tough for the family, at least they do have closure with finding him and bringing him home.

HIndsight is easy.. and the FLW is supposed to be a very safe oriented organization.. I don't see any harm in civil talk about things that can be done to make everything even safer.

I was amazed at some of what I read.. supposedly by members who fish FLW tournaments.. such as there is no standard for life vest requirement, you can have a regular one, auto inflate, or a manual inflate. Also when questioned about the fishermen removing their vests while fishing, someone stated that it was mandatory from sponsors so their names and logos could be seen on the shirts. I don't know if all this is true, but I can see a lot of discussion could be had to make such tournaments even safer in the future.
It's common sense to me. I'm a very good swimmer but when the weather is windy and the water choppy my vest is on. The sponsors should offer the fishermen free vest with the logos on them instead of shirts or invent a shirt that would automatically inflate if submerged in water. It's insane to think they are more concerned with people seeing their logos that the safety of the person wearing it.

I have an immense respect for water especially natural bodies of water where the situations can be unpredictable and the water not transparent. No matter how good of a swimmer you are or as seen in this case what kind of training you have water can take a life in a heartbeat. It's a good idea not to become too comfortable and take every precaution you can to stack the odds in your favor.

This is so very sad and my thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends.