Old  February 24th, 2006, 2:01pm     #1
alexissmithe
Sweeper

What to see in Arizona?
The Southwest is very different from any other part of the United States. Phoenix is located in one of the most beautiful deserts - the Sonoran - and we are surrounded by mountains. If you drive two hours north you will find yourself in Flagstaff, Sedona, or one of my favorite places - Oak Creek Canyon. If you drive two hours south you will be in Mexico where you can haggle with their locals for some good deals. Closer to the Phoenix area you can find old ghost towns, go rockhounding, or see Frank Lloyd Wright's greatest masterpieces.

If you are driving or renting a car there is a good book called "The Back Roads - Twenty back road tours for the whole family" It offers many scenic routes to choose from, most of which can be done in a day.

My recommendation is to book a tour with Southwest Discovery Tours. They are offering a different tour each day of the event, and all day tours the day before and the day after the convention. With a tour guide you will be able to enjoy the spectacular scenery and hear wonderful stories about the area you visit.

I started this link so those who live here, or have been here before, can share their favorite places.

Looking forward to seeing you all in June!
Donna

Here is the link to Southwest Discovery Tours...
http://17thsweepsconvention.com/june..._off_hours.htm
  Old  February 24th, 2006, 3:39pm     #2
inthesticks
Gone Camping

Smile
Nothing in Arizona but snakes and scorpions. However, Yuma is worth a visit, where you can walk through the old Yuma prison. I'm sure there were plenty of scorpions there. Just outside Tucson is the Saguaro Cactus Reserve...you can drive through this park and see all the pretty cactus rising into the air.

Skipping over Phoenix, you can drive North towards Sedona and take in the awesome natural landscapes. Head to Flagstaff, the coolest place in Arizona. This city is in the mountains, where it is cool and covered in pine trees. And just 50 miles north of Flagstaff is the mighty Grand Canyon, which everyone should see at least once in their lifetime.
  Old  February 24th, 2006, 5:14pm     #3
RandomHelena
Senior Master Sweeper

My parents live in Yuma. I love visiting there...it's so mellow, clean and people seem much more polite than they are where I live.
  Old  February 24th, 2006, 8:16pm     #4
Mare
Grand Master Sweeper
Founding Member
Senior Moderator
SuperGroovy

This is all I want to see in Arizona:

http://www.alicecooperstown.com/ and the owner, of course!

Mare "last train to Scottsdale" Rivera

"Be Yourself. Everyone else is already taken" - Oscar Wilde
  Old  February 24th, 2006, 10:44pm     #5
Beth
Grand Master Sweeper

Hey - When you guys come, can you PLEASE bring rain?!?
I don't care if it's a cold rain or a thundershower or even a steady drizzle...You can even let it loose after you leave....I am starting to get a little nervous over here!
  Old  February 24th, 2006, 10:47pm     #6
Beth
Grand Master Sweeper

Oh, by the way, you can see Alice Cooper doing advertisements for the Arizona Motor Vehicle Department. He's got a souped up golf cart that he forgot to register with the DMV and ends up getting a ticket. Dang! I gave away the ending. He seems like a charming fellow!
  Old  February 25th, 2006, 10:57am     #7
Mare
Grand Master Sweeper
Founding Member
Senior Moderator
SuperGroovy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza3658
Oh, by the way, you can see Alice Cooper doing advertisements for the Arizona Motor Vehicle Department. He's got a souped up golf cart that he forgot to register with the DMV and ends up getting a ticket. Dang! I gave away the ending. He seems like a charming fellow!
If you tape it for me I will be your friend forever.
Unless I "win" a trip to the convention, I'm not on the roster, but someday I am going to mecca...or uh Phoenix for purely Alice Cooperistic reasons.

Mare "Cooperhead" Rivera

"Be Yourself. Everyone else is already taken" - Oscar Wilde
  Old  February 25th, 2006, 4:40pm     #8
Marilyn
Senior Master Sweeper
Founding Member

I am staying a week in Sedona. Has anybody every done either of these activities?

River rafting?

http://www.verdecanyonrr.com/trainevents.htm Verde Canyon Railroad?

Looking for recommendations.
  Old  February 25th, 2006, 8:11pm     #9
Beth
Grand Master Sweeper

The railroad is supposed to be great - Definately, rail is the way to go!
There hasn't been any rain for soooooo long here. Even the high country, so I am not sure about the quality of the rafting.
If you are staying in Sedona, I would highly recommend the Grand Canyon. If you haven't already seen it, it's absolutely breath taking. There is even a rail package out of Williams, Az.

Mare, I will do my best to get you a copy of Alice Cooper for you.....
  Old  February 27th, 2006, 10:41am     #10
mrst99
Sweeper

arizona rentals
we are going to tucson and i was wondering if you have any recommendations for renting a condo or a good place to stay.
  Old  February 27th, 2006, 6:52pm     #11
MadMia
Master Sweeper

The railroad is a fun ride. Bald Eagles nest there and usually you can see them.

I'll look for pictures from our trip to upload.
  Old  March 17th, 2006, 4:07pm     #12
airalynn
Master Sweeper

You could come say Hi to me, I live here. Not going to the convention, no sitter for the munchies. There's a lot of things to do here just depends on what you're into.
  Old  March 17th, 2006, 5:51pm     #13
Xan
Master Sweeper

I lived in Phoenix, Mesa and Estrella Park for several years. It will be good to see AZ again. Hoping to hook up with some old friends.
  Old  March 17th, 2006, 6:20pm     #14
jellosheriff
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrst99
we are going to tucson and i was wondering if you have any recommendations for renting a condo or a good place to stay.
We're going there soon for Spring Break. When are you going?

The kids love Old Tucson. This time we're going to Kartchner Caverns, Tombstone and the copper mine. We may do the desert museum again, too. The little muffin is too small for the Jeep tours. Not sure what else we'll decide to do there.

My folks have a house in Green Valley which is a short drive away.
Lots of houses and condos to rent out there very reasonably as an alternative to hotels.

w T I <3 OLS!