Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  Old  February 11th, 2019, 7:35pm     #16
Rhozalea is offline
Rhozalea
Grand Master Sweeper
 
Rhozalea's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,193
Location: STATE OF HOPE
Question
Any northerner remember Hills Dept Store?
They bit the dust long ago

I first discovered them in Ohio
I found Wally World first in FL
Found Tar-jay in VA first
Found Fashion Bug in PA

(Yes my job moved me around a bit)
All R now gone or dwindling fast


I cried because I had no shoes. Then I met a man who had no feet

Persian Proverb
Reply With Quote
  Old  February 11th, 2019, 8:31pm     #17
Barbg18 is offline
Barbg18
Gone Camping
 
Barbg18's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 825
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
Loved Hills when it was here in Indy!
Reply With Quote
  Old  February 11th, 2019, 8:55pm     #18
CatLover is online now
CatLover
Grand Master Sweeper
 
CatLover's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 25,702
Location: Michigan's West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by laura264 View Post
Another store is biting the dust in my town. I saw in the newspaper that Shopko is closing most of their stores. I think the root of their problem is the website. It's NOT user friendly. I can't tell you how many times I've tried searching for something I wanted to purchase online and got the annoying "item not found" message. ....when I know that they have it. I just end up doing like everyone else and go to Amazon and boom, there it is.
Yup - only place in our county where you can buy clothing and housewares. Ours is closing in May.

Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition. - Marilyn Monroe
Reply With Quote
  Old  February 12th, 2019, 8:19pm     #19
AlleyOop is offline
AlleyOop
Master Sweeper
 
AlleyOop's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,221
Location: central PA
When I was a kid, there were so many shops and stores in our small town that you didn't have to leave town to buy anything. Then the malls and box stores came along and took the business from the local stores. Now the internet is taking business from the malls and box stores. What's next?
Reply With Quote
  Old  February 12th, 2019, 8:50pm     #20
Annie is offline
Annie
Grand Master Sweeper
Founding Member
 
Annie's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 1999
Posts: 11,963
Location: Farm Country, MI
Apparently someone bought Sears so who knows how many will stay open at this point?
Reply With Quote
  Old  February 13th, 2019, 5:15pm     #21
Rhozalea is offline
Rhozalea
Grand Master Sweeper
 
Rhozalea's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,193
Location: STATE OF HOPE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhozalea View Post
Any northerner remember Hills Dept Store?
They bit the dust long ago

I first discovered them in Ohio
I found Wally World first in FL
Found Tar-jay in VA first
Found Fashion Bug in PA

(Yes my job moved me around a bit)
All R now gone or dwindling fast

And now add Dillard's to that list

And I too wonder what's next. We also just lost
Things Remembered from that mall

I cried because I had no shoes. Then I met a man who had no feet

Persian Proverb
Reply With Quote
  Old  February 13th, 2019, 7:34pm     #22
plazamama is offline
plazamama
Senior Master Sweeper
 
plazamama's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 8,908
Location: Shenandoah Valley
"The Mall" killed downtown here in 1979. Then a lot of pastures were sold to developers. Worst case of urban sprawl ever.

Today, we have a thriving downtown. We have all the big chain stores and restaurants, but also lots of private retailers and restaurants. A lot of it is due to being a university town (JMU), plus a hard-working local couple who saw a vision and made it happen, from the ground up. Other factors such as welcoming to immigrants also helped. Our city motto is "The Friendly City"


Along the way, mistakes were made, some good parts were lost. But today my little city is in a good place.
Reply With Quote
  Old  February 13th, 2019, 9:38pm     #23
Rhozalea is offline
Rhozalea
Grand Master Sweeper
 
Rhozalea's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,193
Location: STATE OF HOPE
Quote:
Originally Posted by plazamama View Post
"The Mall" killed downtown here in 1979. Then a lot of pastures were sold to developers. Worst case of urban sprawl ever.

Today, we have a thriving downtown. We have all the big chain stores and restaurants, but also lots of private retailers and restaurants. A lot of it is due to being a university town (JMU), plus a hard-working local couple who saw a vision and made it happen, from the ground up. Other factors such as welcoming to immigrants also helped. Our city motto is "The Friendly City"


Along the way, mistakes were made, some good parts were lost. But today my little city is in a good place.

Glad 2 hear they still exist
I'm near a tiny town; mostly office bldgs. Library
& banks. The mall actually drew outlying stores as
well as inside the mall. Would have 2 drive 30 min 2 a nearby
College town for all our needs.

This online trend is killing us & ruining employment as well
as the tax base. I will NEVER support Am-a-zZombie


They started by closing our 2 *personal* book stores
& the downward slide began.

I cried because I had no shoes. Then I met a man who had no feet

Persian Proverb
Reply With Quote
  Old  February 13th, 2019, 10:05pm     #24
Ravzie is offline
Ravzie
Grand Master Sweeper
 
Ravzie's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 50,026
Location: Northern Virginia
The internet ‘store’ with no overhead is responsible. Brick and mortar cannot compete. The costs of keeping a store open are immense. The rent, utilities, insurance, payroll, the burden of keeping enough stock that may or may not get sold, advertising...

For a person like me that has to drive a long way to a mall, online shopping is so much easier. I have a hundred, a thousand options at my fingertips.

New technology puts old technology out of business. Not a new idea. Has nothing to do with ‘so much winning.’

Reply With Quote
  Old  February 16th, 2019, 11:00am     #25
Rhozalea is offline
Rhozalea
Grand Master Sweeper
 
Rhozalea's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,193
Location: STATE OF HOPE
Question
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravzie View Post
The internet ‘store’ with no overhead is responsible. Brick and mortar cannot compete. The costs of keeping a store open are immense. The rent, utilities, insurance, payroll, the burden of keeping enough stock that may or may not get sold, advertising...

For a person like me that has to drive a long way to a mall, online shopping is so much easier. I have a hundred, a thousand options at my fingertips.

New technology puts old technology out of business. Not a new idea. Has nothing to do with ‘so much winning.’
Obviously it's a catch 22 situation

Nice that it benefits those in your situation

Then there's another group that
Must try on clothes
Must try on shoes
Must try out mattresses

Must use mass transit
Etc etc
And no doubt groups in between

Answer??
I don't know

I cried because I had no shoes. Then I met a man who had no feet

Persian Proverb
Reply With Quote
  Old  March 4th, 2019, 10:00am     #26
Rhozalea is offline
Rhozalea
Grand Master Sweeper
 
Rhozalea's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,193
Location: STATE OF HOPE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhozalea View Post
Any northerner remember Hills Dept Store?
They bit the dust long ago

I first discovered them in Ohio
I found Wally World first in FL
Found Tar-jay in VA first
Found Fashion Bug in PA

(Yes my job moved me around a bit)
All R now gone or dwindling fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhozalea View Post
And now add Dillard's to that list

And I too wonder what's next. We also just lost
Things Remembered from that mall
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhozalea View Post
Glad 2 hear they still exist
I'm near a tiny town; mostly office bldgs. Library
& banks. The mall actually drew outlying stores as
well as inside the mall. Would have 2 drive 30 min 2 a nearby
College town for all our needs.

This online trend is killing us & ruining employment as well
as the tax base. I will NEVER support Am-a-zZombie




They started by closing our 2 *personal* book stores
& the downward slide began.
Payless Shoes leaving.

I cried because I had no shoes. Then I met a man who had no feet

Persian Proverb
Reply With Quote
  Old  March 4th, 2019, 10:36am     #27
laura264 is offline
laura264
Master Sweeper
 
laura264's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,317
Location: Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhozalea View Post
Payless Shoes leaving.
In Montana a lot of the Payless Shoe stores are part of the Shopko store. So I don't know how they're going to work that. Oh, and after looking it up, some of the Shopko stores are closing too. We have block after block of empty buildings now.
Reply With Quote
  Old  March 7th, 2019, 7:24pm     #28
Rhozalea is offline
Rhozalea
Grand Master Sweeper
 
Rhozalea's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,193
Location: STATE OF HOPE
Angry
Annnnnnnd
Pouf

There goes
Family Dollor

.

I cried because I had no shoes. Then I met a man who had no feet

Persian Proverb
Reply With Quote
  Old  March 7th, 2019, 7:37pm     #29
dopey is offline
dopey
Grand Master Sweeper
 
dopey's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 12,583
Location: Pueblo, CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhozalea View Post
Annnnnnnd
Pouf

There goes
Family Dollor

.
Quote:
Dollar Tree still plans to invest in its Family Dollar brand, however, renovating at least 1,000 stores this year. The cost to remodel a store ranges from $100,000 to $150,000, CFO Kevin Wampler said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...es/3078239002/

https://ibotta.com/r/rztlcw
Reply With Quote
  Old  March 7th, 2019, 8:00pm     #30
plazamama is offline
plazamama
Senior Master Sweeper
 
plazamama's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 8,908
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post
yeah, this is controversial. They're selling canned and dry goods, not much fresh. Dollar General and Family Dollar are both building nice new stores.
Those who care are calling downtown places "food Deserts" . If you can't afford a car to drive to a supermarket or Farmer's Market, all you can go down the street to get is screamin' high sodium. :confused
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 7:18am.