Old  January 28th, 2019, 12:16am     #1
Curr4001
Master Sweeper

So many retail stores going out of business
There are so many vacant store fronts around town. And the ones closing had huge spaces. All the KMarts closed and the last local Sears is having its going out of business sale right now. ShopKo closed a few months ago and a pretty good sized vitamin shop closed. Even several local businesses have closed and they were well established, in business for many years.
It's sad to see but I know that I, as one person, have contributed because I really hate to shop. I do as much as I can online because doing a lot of walking just wears me out.
When I went to Sears before Christmas the store was pretty empty but today with the big sale it was full.
  Old  January 28th, 2019, 1:00am     #2
EYESONLYFORDAVE
Grand Master Sweeper

yeah sad alot of good stores are closing . Was upset that Toys R Us closed down, was hoping they would be around for my grandchildren to enjoy their store
  Old  January 28th, 2019, 1:38am     #3
QBookie
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYESONLYFORDAVE View Post
yeah sad alot of good stores are closing . Was upset that Toys R Us closed down, was hoping they would be around for my grandchildren to enjoy their store
Toys R Us is supposed to come back under a new name.
"The latest update in the fall and rise of Toys“R”Us has been revealed, with the brand coming back with a new concept. Rather than work as their own large, independent stores, the company will be operating within existing stores. While none of those host locations were specified, a name that did come up was the new name for these shop within a shops: Geoffrey’s Toy Box."

Honey, Ain't Nothin' Ever Gonna Be Like It Was Before.
  Old  January 28th, 2019, 1:50am     #4
EYESONLYFORDAVE
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBookie View Post
Toys R Us is supposed to come back under a new name.
"The latest update in the fall and rise of Toys“R”Us has been revealed, with the brand coming back with a new concept. Rather than work as their own large, independent stores, the company will be operating within existing stores. While none of those host locations were specified, a name that did come up was the new name for these shop within a shops: Geoffrey’s Toy Box."
  Old  January 28th, 2019, 7:58am     #5
tecman44
Senior Sweeper

Small business is exploding here.
I moved back to Phoenix 3 years ago and was shocked at how many empty stores in the strip malls were for rent. Just went up town a couple days ago and was shocked again. Most strip malls were completely full. Small businesses are making a comeback!
  Old  January 28th, 2019, 8:54am     #6
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

I don't like this trend. I like to go to a physical store and see what I want to purchase.. try on the clothing, see the appliances, etc. I have so much trouble buying clothes online ( and the only reason I've done so is for something stores don't carry like my lined jeans ) ..

Appliances I've always gotten at Sears. Now I'll have to check them out at Lowe's ( still have an old gift card ).. but then will have to look at stores I'm not used to for appliances. At least Sears would deliver to us way up here.. we may be out of the delivery zone for other stores.

Earn cash back while shopping with ebates - my referral https://www.ebates.com/r/BOMER92
  Old  January 28th, 2019, 10:32am     #7
laura264
Master Sweeper

Our town is the same way. Just block after block of huge empty buildings. We have two malls which I call 'old mall' and 'older mall'. The older mall they use for all social services like United Way, Veteran's office, Girl Scouts, etc. The old mall now has two empty dept. stores. Because I'm disabled and I live where it snows six months out of the year, I also to most of my shopping online. I think we'll eventually get to a point where there's not even actual stores, Just a drive up window to pick up purchases you've placed online.
  Old  January 28th, 2019, 11:10am     #8
bigskwinner
Grand Master Sweeper

there's still toys r us in saskatoon Canada so can they go under a new name? weird if they can do that lol

online has hit quite a few places hard. Although how people can order glasses online is beyond me because every time I buy glasses they have to adjust the damned things

MY 2016 wins
MY 2017 wins
mY 2018 Wins
MY 2019 WINS
you JELLY?
  Old  January 28th, 2019, 11:30am     #9
TawnyNY
Senior Master Sweeper

It is sad, yet stores in our strip malls like Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Target and Walmart seem to be always crowded.
  Old  January 28th, 2019, 12:32pm     #10
minbari
Senior Master Sweeper

So much winning!
  Old  January 28th, 2019, 12:46pm     #11
mommie-sweep
Senior Master Sweeper

In our small town business is booming. We have had lots of new stores opening here!
  Old  February 6th, 2019, 4:12am     #12
annulla
Grand Master Sweeper

Lots of small, independent businesses are closing here because the rent has gotten so high. One after another, the mom & pop stores are closing.

Please read my blog -- Blather From Brooklyn
  Old  February 6th, 2019, 10:07am     #13
lbz1947
Senior Sweeper

Unhappy
the also sad truth is the missing sales tax that will have to be absorbed by the homeowners who live in those towns going also for property taxes too. My granddaughters do all their shopping online so think of how much who is left wherever in these United States have to go & support what is left. I know i can't support that I barely can now. My hubby closed his business and at 74 go to work if he can find a job for hardly anything.

So for all the people who went online you'll be having the end result as these store fronts close and people lose their jobs You people need to see what has happened and will
  Old  February 6th, 2019, 10:53am     #14
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Several small stores here say they are closing .. and put some of the blame on the raise in minimum wage by our state..

It's a vicious cycle.. people need more money to buy things.. wages go up.. product prices go up to reflect that...

The ones who get lost in it all are stuck trying to figure out what their small fixed income will now pay for!

It's no different than in our parents' / grandparents' times.. other than back then, they didn't "need" to buy so much expensive stuff... today everyone "needs" two or more cars, two or more tvs, cell phones which cost so much more than landlines, $ to pay for tv signals which use to be free, computers for everyone in the house, trips, eating out, etc... etc...

And all the dirty, hard working jobs that were treasured before, no one wants to do. Fast food was never a place to earn a living.. it used to be a kid earning a little extra.. what do you hear from young kids now? I'm not slinging burgers!

Earn cash back while shopping with ebates - my referral https://www.ebates.com/r/BOMER92
  Old  February 11th, 2019, 4:32pm     #15
laura264
Master Sweeper

Another store is biting the dust in my town. I saw in the newspaper that Shopko is closing most of their stores. I think the root of their problem is the website. It's NOT user friendly. I can't tell you how many times I've tried searching for something I wanted to purchase online and got the annoying "item not found" message. ....when I know that they have it. I just end up doing like everyone else and go to Amazon and boom, there it is.